Need some new soaps/creams...but what?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Guys, I've used Razorock soaps for a while but find them a tad 'thin'. Same goes for Torino Forti Sensazioni (I think that came from Italian Barber too).
The Tech, and Mamba made soap choice no bother at all. Anything seemed to work OK.
Soaps I have that I think are OK but not startling are Cella, Proraso Blue (in a tube),Lea (in a tin).
Bought but yet to try are Vegetale Sapone by Vitos, and Antiga Barbearia (yellow tube).
Used and liked TOBS Grapefruit, Haslinger (Honey, and Coconut), Fine Accoutrements Platinum, Figgy Puddin' (no longer available).
I use a Yaqi synthetic so don't want a too hard soap (Mitchells Wool Fat maybe), and don't want to buy a stiffer brush too just to suit a soap.
I would like slide and glide, not too fussed about scent (no Tobacco smell though).
I shop here usually...

https://fineshave.co.nz/

Can some kind person check out the soaps/creams and make other recommendations?
Or show me an Aussie vendor with nice soaps?
The last time I looked at a forum members site I found the shipping from Oz to NZ made the soap too dear, but maybe that's changed now.
How are D.R. Harris, Cyril R Salter, Captain Fawcetts regarded as I can easily get them.
Just don't want to buy 'something' that is weak and piddly.

My Fatip Picollo has shown the shortcomings of some of my soaps, and with a NEW SC, and a Timeless .95 OC arriving I better get a better soap sorted soon!
Many thanks guys.

Last edited:
Guys, I've used Razorock soaps for a while but find them a tad 'thin'. Same goes for Torino Forti Sensazioni (I think that came from Italian Barber too).
The Tech, and Mamba made soap choice no bother at all. Anything seemed to work OK.
Soaps I have that I think are OK but not startling are Cella, Proraso Blue (in a tube),Lea (in a tin).
Bought but yet to try are Vegetale Sapone by Vitos, and Antiga Barbearia (yellow tube).
Used and liked TOBS Grapefruit, Haslinger (Honey, and Coconut), Fine Accoutrements Platinum, Figgy Puddin' (no longer available).
I use a Yaqi synthetic so don't want a too hard soap (Mitchells Wool Fat maybe), and don't want to buy a stiffer brush too just to suit a soap.
I would like slide and glide, not too fussed about scent (no Tobacco smell though).
I shop here usually...

The last time I looked at a forum members site I found the shipping from Oz to NZ made the soap too dear, but maybe that's changed now.
How are D.R. Harris, Cyril R Salter, Captain Fawcetts regarded as I can easily get them.

My Fatip Picollo has shown the shortcomings of some of my soaps, and with a NEW SC, and a Timeless .95 OC arriving I better get a better soap sorted soon!
Many thanks guys.
From fineshave.co - they have Meissner Tremonia which are very nice. I have Moroccan Rhassoul which I love and Strong n Scottish which is more of an acquired taste. They do seem rather expensive from that store though.

I shop here usually...

Many thanks guys.

Just based on what's available through that site, I would go with Tabac or any of the DR Harris soaps. I currently have the DR Harris Arlington - good performer with a decent scent. Tabac is a great performer, although the scent isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Mate,the DR Harris
"Arlington", "Marlboro" and "Windsor"are brilliant, more so than the other soaps in that range .
Capt Fawcett seems too pricey to this tightarse and TOBS soaps do not live up to the quality of the creams ( I am led to believe).
I have yet to find a standout soap from the artisans, they seem to have plateaued, very good but all a bit similar.
Try Body Shop Maca Root cream, it is outstanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Blackie I've recently had soaps sent to NZ from two Australian stores, the stray whisker and beard and blade. Postage was around 5$ and delivery was reasonably fast.
Both great places to get local and popular gear at resonable prices and top notch customer service!

OK, I've ordered a tub of Arlington, and will check out the local Body Shop for Macca Root today.
Going through my 'collection' of soaps/creams (all 10 of them) and biffing the thin watery lather ones. That will be about 1/2 of the collection!
Keeping Figgy Puddin', Cella (maybe), Fine, Haslinger, Vitos.
Don't know what I'll do when the Figgy Puddin' is all gone though. My bestest soap that one, and no longer made!
Checked out the 2 Oz sites. The Stray whisker has some stuff we don't see here, so will have a shop around today.
Edit: Just used this for the first time today. It's a very nice soap and not too dear. I bought it months ago and 'lost' it. Found it yesterday and gave it a whirl this morning.
https://fineshave.co.nz/products/vegetal-shaving-soap-by-vitos-150ml

Last edited: