Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a good dusting of snow on the Brindabellas this morning.

Which I've seen before, but never on these hills

It was cold in Melbourne this morning, so I decided to go full arctic. I converted the B&M soap to Seville Chill.

Pre: Glycerine soap
Brush: Muhle chrome M89 21 mm silvertip badger
Bowl: Fine (not pictured)
Soap: B&M Seville
Menthol: Stirling Frost Drops
Razor: British Gillette Aristocrat Junior #53 set
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Fragrance: B&M Seville
Balm: Stirling unscented

SOTD-17-9-19.jpg

Brush: Omega
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Восход (1)
Pre: Shower + Nivea Face Wash
Soap: Face Fat Green Fougere

A very unsatisfying SOTD :( Its official, the Voshod's are on my list of dud blades. Used the trusty 6S on the smooth R4 plate with some great lather from the vegan soap and the well worked in boar. First pass felt horrible with the blade feeling rough against my 2 day growth. Proceeded to finish up and noticed some spots around the chin. Tried some buffing and eventually binned the blade as it irritated my skin... :mad:

Brush: Omega
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Восход (1)
Pre: Shower + Nivea Face Wash
Soap: Face Fat Green Fougere

A very unsatisfying SOTD :( Its official, the Voshod's are on my list of dud blades. Used the trusty 6S on the smooth R4 plate with some great lather from the vegan soap and the well worked in boar. First pass felt horrible with the blade feeling rough against my 2 day growth. Proceeded to finish up and noticed some spots around the chin. Tried some buffing and eventually binned the blade as it irritated my skin... :mad:

Bummer, but ....

... tomorrow will be a better shave (y)

It was cold in Melbourne this morning, so I decided to go full arctic. I converted the B&M soap to Seville Chill.

Pre: Glycerine soap
Brush: Muhle chrome M89 21 mm silvertip badger
Bowl: Fine (not pictured)
Soap: B&M Seville
Menthol: Stirling Frost Drops
Razor: British Gillette Aristocrat Junior #53 set
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Fragrance: B&M Seville
Balm: Stirling unscented

SOTD-17-9-19.jpg
Hey mate how do you find the Seville EdT?

A very unsatisfying SOTD :( Its official, the Voshod's are on my list of dud blades.

Had similar experience but some love them YMMV? I have noticed sometimes a strop against my forearm will resolve a bad new blade but not extend it's life as some claim.

I had a very nice 2 pass DFS with far too much growth but the Japanese steel and Japanese hone took care of it very effectively.
They [whoever they are], say laziness is the enemy of wet shaving and I tend to agree.
Tonight instead of Adelaide water I used rainwater for my lather. What a fantastic difference. Lazy no more :)
6/8" Square point Straight honed on a Nakayama Kitta through a 4 Nagura progression.
Semogue 830 with my soap.
Alcohol splash.

Had similar experience but some love them YMMV? I have noticed sometimes a strop against my forearm will resolve a bad new blade but not extend it's life as some claim.
Yeah I've had mixed results with them (and Ladas) and find them OK for the first few shaves. Really surprising as the 6S R4 plate shaves smooth so no reason for it to be so rough/tugging first shave in...? Might try a new one again in a different DE before condeming them to the 'do not use' group... Cheers!

Shower
Merkur 1904 clone
Personna Lab blue (4)
Omega 48
GFT Rose Cream
Imperial Leather AS

OK @Nightguard - I see lots of SOTD posts with 3P - so how does it perform?
Wonderful stuff. Load heavy and it's unbelievably slick and cushioning. Light on the Almond scent which is great for me.
I believe it's now sold in both a 1000ml block and 150ml tub. Mine is cut from the block. Not sure if they're the same.

T6SRWwk.jpg

The B&M lathered perfectly in the bowl and taking the opportunity to break in the Duke Badger
Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Bowl: Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 Pure Badger
Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
Razor/Blade: German 37 w EJ Handle/Nacet(2)
Post-shave: Stirling WHAM/ B&M Reserve Spice

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth 2019 P&C Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (3)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash and balm
Fragrance: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars EDP

Lest @tim33z be disappointed

ZEZFcCNl.jpg

PTKj5MDl.jpg

Another really good shave with the 34C but again it requires more effort to get a desired result. Still very good though and I can now see why this razor is recommended for beginners.

Lest @Mark1966 be disappointed with my lack of colour... I think he has excelled today, but don’t we all want more snow photos???!!???

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Blu

It’s been a while so decided to take the old Rockwell for a test run. The 6C on plate 6 with a feather is quite efficient and delivered a respectable shave, dam close to BBS but just short in a couple of places. Still a very smooth and comfortable shave and will definitely have it in the rotation when I want a ‘mild’ razor that delivers a smooth comfy shave.

48751504446_327b796821_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.