Recommend me a synth

@Holiday If you are after a cheap (and in my opinion) an awesome synthetic brush you cant go past a yaqi.. the tuxedo knot is my favorite with plenty of backbone and super soft tips that all yaqi synthetics share. The other beauty of synthetics are they dont hog lather, lather quite easily and dont require any soaking or drying

Thanks @alfredus, I have a Duke 2 Pure Badger that is still breaking in. TBH I am perfectly happy with Semogue Boar brushes (still on my first). I dont know if I can resist the lure of a quality synthetic. I can blame morality or functionality but probably just curiosity and new experiences. If I do venture down that path I will be sure to take your advice and try the Chubby/Muhle/EJ XL.
Started searching and came up with Simpsons Progress Vulfix H2 Synthetic Shaving for 1/2 the price of a Chubby. Any experience?
Lpfs6GI.png
I don't think it is the same hair/same type of knot.

I believe there is a Duke 3 and a Classic 1, that use the same type of hair/knot. But TBH the Classic is just tiny...

How do you like your pure? Not too prickly?

How do you like your pure? Not too prickly?
It is a bit prickly but I assumed that it just needed breaking in. Is that why 2-band is the preferred option?
@Holiday If you are after a cheap (and in my opinion) an awesome synthetic brush you cant go past a yaqi.. the tuxedo knot is my favorite with plenty of backbone and super soft tips that all yaqi synthetics share. The other beauty of synthetics are they dont hog lather, lather quite easily and dont require any soaking or drying
Thanks @StratMan does your experience include Chubby/Muhle/EJ XL synthetics?

It is a bit prickly but I assumed that it just needed breaking in. Is that why 2-band is the preferred option?

Thanks @StratMan does your experience include Chubby/Muhle/EJ XL synthetics?
I don't think you will get the prickliness out of a pure...that's just the way the hair is...

The "breaking in" of a badger is usually just the loosening up of the knot...the top of the hair doesn't get any softer...

And also please bear in mind, that not every "pure", "silvertip", "2-band", "high mountain", "manchurian", etc is the same...

But generally a pure is prickly, but has a decent amount of backbone.

A (3-band) silvertip is super luxurious an soft. It usually has very fine hair and any backbone is derived from the density of the the knot.

A 2-band has usually much thicker hair and a good 2-band can also be very soft and luxurious at the top. But the backbone is derived both from the thick hair and the density of the knot...

An extreme example would be the Declaration knots, that have very soft tops with a very densely packed knot consisting of thick hair.

I don't think you will get the prickliness out of a pure...that's just the way the hair is...

The "breaking in" of a badger is usually just the loosening up of the knot...the top of the hair doesn't get any softer...

And also please bear in mind, that not every "pure", "silvertip", "2-band", "high mountain", "manchurian", etc is the same...

But generally a pure is prickly, but has a decent amount of backbone.

A (3-band) silvertip is super luxurious an soft. It usually has very fine hair and any backbone is derived from the density of the the knot.

A 2-band has usually much thicker hair and a good 2-band can also be very soft and luxurious at the top. But the backbone is derived both from the thick hair and the density of the knot...

An extreme example would be the Declaration knots, that have very soft tops with a very densely packed knot consisting of thick hair.
Somebody please give this Badger Master a big kiss 💋 cause I’m not, he’s giving us all the fantastic advice on badger brushes.

Another vote for Yaqi synths.
I've tried a few and the two main differences I've noticed to quality badger brushes are that the synths have incredibly soft tips and tend to have less backbone than the equivalent sized badger.
I'd look at the 24mm knots with a loft in the low-mid 50mm range (eg. Twilight, Purple Haze (what I currently use), Sagrada, Moka Express).

Thanks for the replies gang.

OP asked for Synth recommendations with a 100$ budget

At G&C both EJ and Muhle currently ~50EUR with the discount code...surely that hit's the brief?

If it had been "recommend me a cheap synthetic" I would have never dared to post ;)
So does EJ and Muhle use the same knot?
What about Vie-Long and Epsilon? Do you know what their synthetic knots are like?
I've been convinced I don't need or want a synthetic but all this talk (this thread and others) has got me curious to compare lathering ability of a synthetic to natural hair brushes specifically on my soaps. Plus my poor old Zenith that I use for travelling is shedding so badly it's got bald spots. One final trip for the Zenith then I think it will be binned. If I try a synthetic and it's any good, it may become the traveller.

So does EJ and Muhle use the same knot?
What about Vie-Long and Epsilon? Do you know what their synthetic knots are like?
I've been convinced I don't need or want a synthetic but all this talk (this thread and others) has got me curious to compare lathering ability of a synthetic to natural hair brushes specifically on my soaps. Plus my poor old Zenith that I use for travelling is shedding so badly it's got bald spots. One final trip for the Zenith then I think it will be binned. If I try a synthetic and it's any good, it may become the traveller.
EJ and Muhle use the same knots as far as I know and Muhle seems to be discontinuing the XL size...

I don't know about Vie-Long/Epsilon, but I am sure you can ask Juan over at Gifts & Care - he is super friendly and should be able to answer your questions, as he has all of them in his store...

Lastly: there MIGHT be a special synthetic brush coming up...

EJ and Muhle use the same knots as far as I know and Muhle seems to be discontinuing the XL size...

I don't know about Vie-Long/Epsilon, but I am sure you can ask Juan over at Gifts & Care - he is super friendly and should be able to answer your questions, as he has all of them in his store...

Lastly: there MIGHT be a special synthetic brush coming up...
Are you arranging a P&C synth brush?

Are you arranging a P&C synth brush?

I think it is expected from me to organise group buys :D :D :D

Let's see how we go...it is very hard to find a knot, I would be happy with...but maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel ;)