Pomades! What do you use and what do you recommend?

Wilkshire13

The Torch Whisperer
This is my first, non-introductory post, please be gentle.

As the title suggests, I would appreciate your opinions on hair styling products, specifically pomades.

Looking for a good strong hold, matte finish, pomade. It does not need to be vegan-friendly.

I have used American Crew Fiber in the past, but I am getting a bit over it and finding it doesn't work as well as it used to. Plus it seems to be rooting what hair I have left. :confused:

King Brown Matte Pomade was lackluster as well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2imLJCi]

Has anyone used Tenax Matte Pomade? It's made by the same people as Proraso who have been pretty good in the past.

Also eyeing off Baxter of California Clay Pomade, Uppercut Deluxe Matte Pomade, Suavecito and Modern Pirate.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
[/url]

Grim grease (I think they have a matte cream) and nostalgic grooming (moon paste) would be what I recommend. I've only tried water based stuff, but I find these two brands have a good hold that lasts through the day.

Grim grease (I think they have a matte cream) and nostalgic grooming (moon paste) would be what I recommend. I've only tried water based stuff, but I find these two brands have a good hold that lasts through the day.
Nostalgic and O'Douds is what I used to use and found both to be great. Both hold really well with O'Douds being a bit firmer as it's not water based. Used to order them from Maggards.

I have no preference for whether its water-based or petroleumI'll, so I'll check them out, cheers.

I have some of both up for same at the moment actually on BST.

I'm a very new member, so I assume I can't see the post because of that, but when I have access I shall have a look.

I finally got around to trying Uppercut last weekend and it's actually really good. Water based pomade medium hold matt finish. I usually use Layrite Matte Cream which is slightly lighter consistency and hold with a more natural look.

I find Uppercut sets a bit hard for me, almost gel like. It's what my barber uses and I usually wash it out pretty quickly

The Holy Black is what I tend to use and post rinse, it leaves the hair like none other I've tried.

I generally end up with whatever the female barber convinces me to buy .

Latest is King Brown Cream Pomade works for me because it is a light weight cream and not waxy
  • Water-based
  • Light hold
  • Natural shine
  • Fresh scent of lemon myrtle and sandalwood
  • Ideal for natural, textured styles and thinner hair
I enjoyed the scent of Reuzel Fiber Chocolate Mint but it was very stiff and waxy

Been using Reuzel clay matte pomade lately. It's great for short hair, medium hold and very workable. I do find it makes my hair look a bit greasy if it's a bit long. Usually a good reminder I need a haircut though. I do agree that the American crew fibre would literally pull the hair out at the roots trying to work it in. I have up on that stuff years ago

Been using Reuzel clay matte pomade lately. It's great for short hair, medium hold and very workable. I do find it makes my hair look a bit greasy if it's a bit long. Usually a good reminder I need a haircut though. I do agree that the American crew fibre would literally pull the hair out at the roots trying to work it in. I have up on that stuff years ago

I'll check it out, cheers @IrishYeti

The bearded chap in Brisbane do a pomade and matte pomade all natural ingredients on my list to try made in Australia

Sounds promising, might have to see if I can grab a sample from them

So I caved and tried the King Brown Pomade again this morning. Hair is pretty short, about 1cm long and it's holding, but it still sorta smells like arse. Might have to move it on and pick up one of the suggestions

I've been using King Brown's Matte pomade for a few years now - I tried their paste pomade and it didn't agree with my hair.

Can anyone recommend a good clay pomade? I know King Brown do one but I like to branch out every now and then 😂

@Ferret619 what recipe do you use I want to make my own as well. Very economical as pomades tend to be $30+ for 100g
Pretty much as above- I use beeswax for hold, coconut oil to lower the melting temp and have tried adding other oils for scent, moisture and so on.
I make em on the fly.