Petrolheads

Come on, what are you driving?
4 wheels, 2 wheels, whatever, it’s all good.
Daily, work, track, shits and giggles. Exotica to shitters, lets see them.

Just out of its winter hibernation and due a bit of a decontamination and detail is my Evo X Varis Widebody.

UQvXYlEl.jpg

As mentioned by @UKSteve 2 wheels, it's all good @tim33z . Just because it doesn't have an engine.

The fact you think it’s done for sound tells me everything I need to know.
I never said that.but no matter what size exhaust you put on it it will never make the power or sound of an 8.no matter what cam or how many psi you stuff in it it wont match an 8 especially torque wise.also going so high strung it will never have the reliability of an 8.it will never make as sreetable car as an 8 with the lag inherent with a baby motor trying to be big.

All this commentary on electrics has me laughing. The operating costs of an electric car in Oz (both fuel and maintenance) are generally accepted to be around a quarter of an ICE car. Electricity is very cheap compared to petrol once you factor in the efficiency of electric vs ICE motors.

If the Oz grids can already cope with everyone turning on their airconditioning at the same time when it's hot, then charging everyone's vehicles over 12 hours at night is a walk in the park. Not everyone has to have a fast charger at 6pm and fast charges aren't as good for the batteries anyway. Time of use pricing will flatten out the curve at night as people chase the cheapest time to charge their cars - and their smartphones can be programmed to do this for them.

Electrics are a perfect second car to do all your city kms with. The cost premium is still too high on a pure economic basis (the lower running costs don't offset the higher capital cost unless you are doing stupid Kms or have a really low cost of capital) but the cool factor is there - particularly when you get in the car on a hot summer's day and your smartphone already turned the air con on before you got there and the car is nice and cool already. And vice versa for winter...

My mate just bought a Hyundai Ioniq - it's a very nice car with all the bells and whistles. He's not bothering to get a fast charger installed - he's just going to run it off a 10A plug (240V) overnight. But we are both electrical engineers... so more likely to be early adopters on this sort of thing.

I'm not giving up my six cylinder motorbike anytime soon though!

My only problem with ev's is they fail at what they set out to achieve.moving co2 emissions from the tailpipe to the powerplant is pointless and with the toxicity issues for the batteries with a 2-3 year life span they are worse than what they replace.but once those issues are sorted in the future they should make for some quick and comfortable cars.

Well Hyundai are providing a 8 year / 160,000 km battery warranty, on top of the 5 year warranty for the car.

The grid is moving to greater renewable energy at a growing rate, particularly with the uptake of rooftop solar. Google "solar duck curve" to see forecasts of how that looks. This will all only continue. If you want to install your own solar panels and charge your car at home during the day, you can pretend the electricity is all coming from your own roof.

But of course, installing solar panels is the first port of call for anyone who really wants to be part of the solution. Going EV is doing the same in the transport world - economies of scale won't kick in unless people buy them and electricity has a much higher proportion of renewable energy in it, even now, than hydrocarbons...

Time for an update.
The Civic has been sold. We were given a shagged out Honda Jazz auto, it's horrible but very suitable for the L and P players in the house.

Sadly my Ninja is no more. I had a meeting with the back end of a TNT truck. 1cm nick on my shin (no blood) and the bike was a write off.

It's been 4 weeks and I have no idea what to get next. My dealer suggested a V-Strom 650XT. Not sure about the aesthetics, I like the look of sports and sports tourers. My wife likes the look of classic bikes, think Z900RS.

The 30km each way commute with 20km of it on the highway is stopping me getting a naked like a GSX-S 750, street triple R, Z900, ...

Also not sure I can be trusted on a 100kW bike. The 650L at 40 odd kW was fast enough to mean no more licence.