Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20200707-221819.jpg

Brush: TF Custom Shades of Blue & Gold Tuxedo Shaving Brush
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo Light - Aggressive Level on loan from @Nico
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Soap: P&B Imperial Rum
Pre: Shower
Post: Alum block // APR Bay City splash // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm // P&B Imperial Rum

Same setup but man oh man does the aggressive plate shave nice!!! So so smooth with the efficiency of say a Blackland Dart (without the blade feel) which suits me perfectly. The shave feels so close that I had to grab the trusty Alum block and felt some sting on the trouble spots but well worth it! Still slightly leaning towards the WR1 with WR2 a close 3rd but seriously nothing between them as they look, feel and shave amazingly. (y) Greatful for the loan from @Nico and advice from @Errol as I strongly see myself adding this to my collection sooner rather than later... One more holy grail DE to try Friday... Happy shaves!!!

Pre-shave: PAA Mentholated Prickly Pear ATG Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: Omega 10083
Soap/Cream: PAA Crown King Porthos
Razor: RazoRock Lupo
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5)
Post-shave: Alum block, Witch hazel, Bulldog original aftershave balm, B&M Reserve Spice
Hair Tonic: Eau de Portugal
y4mGakPGmUuZj9kRxpxj7rbJxgasjxymdZcwjvO4AzIufZOS-3SP8SorJ-zUylaoh9H2chXtS4kYyDXKS-u-QwXlphGrid2UK85i7s6S2mafBLrzSOKLuSbYqvbTwWHS0seLTPgnrLyLDsSdb9PLBkK3ung0dp5yzrB3COuhRZJNrYeCpsQLBIYLEz2thdNAlpVeBEpVjEHxRhjiAmkczRpJg

IMG-20200707-221819.jpg

Brush: TF Custom Shades of Blue & Gold Tuxedo Shaving Brush
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo Light - Aggressive Level on loan from @Nico
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Soap: P&B Imperial Rum
Pre: Shower
Post: Alum block // APR Bay City splash // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm // P&B Imperial Rum

Same setup but man oh man does the aggressive plate shave nice!!! So so smooth with the efficiency of say a Blackland Dart (without the blade feel) which suits me perfectly. The shave feels so close that I had to grab the trusty Alum block and felt some sting on the trouble spots but well worth it! Still slightly leaning towards the WR1 with WR2 a close 3rd but seriously nothing between them as they look, feel and shave amazingly. (y) Greatful for the loan from @Nico and advice from @Errol as I strongly see myself adding this to my collection sooner rather than later... One more holy grail DE to try Friday... Happy shaves!!!

In the spirit of the P&C forum.The aswer is buy them all. :D:cool:

4KRJrqyl.jpg

Soap: Pb Spiced Orange
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Nacet shimmed (3)
AS: Pb Black Spruce
Generally I buy into 'if a razor can't cut it on it's own....' but shimming the blade on this razor turns it into a joy. Sweet.....

And in other news.......
75grPUfm.jpg

Cleaning out the workshop this week and found this gem from the eighties. It's a full can but not rushing in to use it, nothing beats the lather of good hand made shave soap.

For cheap options it's hard to go past Yaqi but you have to be quick they run out of stock regularly
https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/collections/safety-razor-handles

@Schmicko this is good advice.. the yaqi handles are made of brass and have a nice weight to them (not too heavy). I have two.. one chrome handle on my R41 and one red handle for the missus and i love both, best thing is they are quite cheap around $15 i reckon from memory

I love the red one quite a bit and will look at getting the black one once my sabbatical is over next year

I'm afraid I might end up doing just that as they're so hard to separate...? :X3:

You can pace yourself. The Helix is available. Wolfman and Charcoal Goods in brass probably a long wait.
Hope you enjoy the CG shave on Friday. Its a little beauty.

You can pace yourself. The Helix is available. Wolfman and Charcoal Goods in brass probably a long wait.
Hope you enjoy the CG shave on Friday. Its a little beauty.
Yeah I'm not in any particular rush so really appreciate the opportunity to experience some wonderful premium razors. Appreciate the opportunity as now I know what works and can save some $$$ to make sensible purchases. (y)

@Schmicko this is good advice.. the yaqi handles are made of brass and have a nice weight to them (not too heavy). I have two.. one chrome handle on my R41 and one red handle for the missus and i love both, best thing is they are quite cheap around $15 i reckon from memory

I love the red one quite a bit and will look at getting the black one once my sabbatical is over next year

Cheers @StratMan and @SpeedyPC will keep my eye on Yaqi hopefully they will get some in soon, not sure what one to get though ??

Cheers @StratMan and @SpeedyPC will keep my eye on Yaqi hopefully they will get some in soon, not sure what one to get though ??

@Schmicko the coloured ones are in stock. https://www.yaqishaving.com.au/coll...products/yaqi-explorer-de-safety-razor-handle
I bought the Classic SS Handle a WRH7 style and nice evenly weighted handle but lacks quality knurling of the real thing. Will probably buy one of those Godzilla eventually.
Other more expensive international options on The Bay are Windrose and Signature.

Date:- 09 July 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Taum Sauk (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Muhle R41 attach to iKon Bulldog / Polsilver Super Iridium #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

Will probably buy one of those Godzilla eventually.

Thanks @Holiday im actually considering the Godzilla too, the beast mode setup gets free postage at $47.90 vs waiting for the same handle to arrive at $32 + $8.40 postage so for an extra $7.50 I get another razor in the quiver, pretty easy math really😂 just going to trawl the forum for a review. What have you heard of the Godzilla Razor?

Pre: Hot shower then hot towel
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood
Bowl/Scuttle: Granite
Brush: Omega boar hair
Razor: Muhle R41 Rose Gold
Blade: Feather (2)
A/S: Phoenix - Autumn Factory

Round 2 with the feather, Went 3 passes tonight and a touch up and smooth as. The TOBS is such a beautifully rich experience and followed by the autumn factory my face feels like silk, happy days!

Thanks @Holiday im actually considering the Godzilla too, the beast mode setup gets free postage at $47.90 vs waiting for the same handle to arrive at $32 + $8.40 postage so for an extra $7.50 I get another razor in the quiver, pretty easy math really😂 just going to trawl the forum for a review. What have you heard of the Godzilla Razor?
Hi @Schmicko the only recollection I have of anyone on this thread with Yaqi in beast mode was @Mitcon here and was not a good review.
Another option if you dont mind a DE89 clone
https://www.beardandblade.com.au/products/beard-blade-stubby-safety-razor-chrome

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Yaqi Moka 24mm
Soap:- TOBS Cedarwood shave cream
Razors:- Edwin Jagger D89 smooth
Blade:- Tiger Platinum (4)
Post:- Razorock Alum Bloc // Floid Mentolado Suave AS // L'Occitan AS Balm

Thought I would try the opposite end of the shaving spectrum and have a mild shave. 7 passes + touch ups to achieve a bbs. (I almost gave up:)) I remember the first time I stopped using my hand me down razors and switched to a modern DE many years ago, This razor was it. Back then, the razor was a 3 pass BBS with no touch ups. Now it barely made it. Surprised the tiger blade lasted 3 shaves + this one. (Impressive for me)
5 year old TOBS cream was stand-up. An almond size lasted me the entire shave and plenty left. Bowl lathered first. Slick cream, remember why I liked TOBS creams.

Status
Not open for further replies.