Weekly Razor Review

Henson Shaving AL 13 – Made for Men (Canada)

Not very often, but sometimes, an aluminium razor grabs my attention; the Henson AL 13 grabbed my attention, so I made one mine. What do you do with the extra capacity you have available in the machine shop when your core business is machining parts for the space industry? Henson turned their hand to making razors. My warped sense of imagination runs riot thinking about that day in the board room where the decision was made to convert that extra machining capacity into making razors.

When you read the blurb on Henson one word keeps coming to mind - Precision; therefore, nothing short of perfection in the delivered product is expected. Henson have utilized their project team to study their design and have come up with an innovative razor. Probably the most unique part is the plate so that’s where I’ll start. It’s a flat piece of aluminium and if you look at the ends, you’d think it has a shallow lather channel. However, in reality there are four angled grooves to clear the lather. Blade positioning is via elongated posts on the cap that that mate into blade grooves in the plate, but assisting with positioning the blade are small tabs on each corner of the plate. Just to emphasize the quality of manufacture there is a tungsten insert at the rear of the centre hole for the handle to butt up against. Where most manufacturers employ a curved cap design, Henson utilize a very flat looking cap with bevelled edges. Another pleasing feature is that the blade is clamped at the outer edge of the cap. The tapered handle is a bit thinner than I prefer but the shallow machined groves feel like they will provide positive grip. While the available colours include the cute greens, pinks and other bright colours, it was a boring black anodised one for me.

I don’t know that I’m a fan of Henson’s naming of efficiency levels; Made for Men, Made for Women and for those opposed to shaving with a razor Made for Women there is now a mild plate. Of course I chose a Made for Men razor. I wish Henson had an efficiency level Made for Gorilla because the plate I used provided a ridiculously mild shave well below that of a Karve CB Level #B efficiency. While shaving the bevelled face of the cap rests against the face; stray minutely over the threshold and the razor goes into skidding on the top corner of the plate; bloody annoying, in fact two shaves was more than enough for me, I packed it away. Please Henson, ditch the current cap design and provide a round topped cap; I hadn’t realised why the caps on razors are generally curved, now I know. That would get rid of the top corner of the plate and exclude the necessity to have the bevelled part of the cap dictating the shave angle. A close shave, not even in the ball park. Henson have the basis of a great razor design but it does require some tweaks to get right. Let’s hope they take constructive criticism on board and come up with a spectacular stainless steel version.

Henson Shaving are not resting on their laurels and already there is talk of titanium and tungsten razors being produced. Yes, tungsten, the toughest material found in nature and I should imagine very difficult to work with. To emphasise the challengers faced by Henson, tungsten is in the tool bits used for machining other metals. I want one.

Blades Used – Super-Max Platinum Plus
Material – Aluminium AL13
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 39g
Head Width – 43.27mm
Handle Length – 96mm
Handle Diameter – Tapered
Availability – Henson Shaving
Final Word – Disappointing

I've seen various versions of this one on the US forums so nice to see a local review. Well done @Erroll. (y)

Henson Shaving AL 13 – Made for Men (Canada)

Henson Shaving are not resting on their laurels and already there is talk of titanium and tungsten razors being produced. Yes, tungsten, the toughest material found in nature and I should imagine very difficult to work with. To emphasise the challengers faced by Henson, tungsten is in the tool bits used for machining other metals. I want one.

Why?

Why titanium?

Why tungsten?

Why all these different materials?

Why?

Why titanium?

Why tungsten?

Why all these different materials?
Because nickel plating on brass is not the longest or most durable costing you can get. Lets not mention zalmak or other pot/sinstered methods as they always suck due to qc issues.

Titanium especially Ti5 is absolutely awesome stuff. Very durable, corrosion resistant, when polished is bright and absolute mirror. Also coating wise can be coloured permanently by great and chemical process which does not wear off or chip. Mainly inert too so reduces staining. Wish my watches were Ti5 and not Ti2 but still lovely to wear and looks so different.

Aluminium 6000 series etc are also awesome. When you see that aluminium drink can on the beach still complete but obviously has been tumbled to death in the sea for years. Aircraft alloys found years later from a crash. Just shows how durable it is too.

Both are very light metals so this means you get a differing shave experience by weight and control. You can have bigger grip handles with still less weight than their steel counterparts. Older hands with grip issues loves these. Machining costs and techniques are different so better and in some cases worst. Modern aluminium razors surprising are so durable it is strange we don't see more of them. Maybe the problem is they are too light. Whereas titanium hits that weight sweet spot for me just below 100 grams and above 50 grams.

So tungsten, well that is likely going to be a steel alloy. Bloody hard, heat resistant and very costly to machine. Likely not worth it. But to feel the difference will be more interesting, grab a steel drill bit and then a tungsten carbide one and hold them together. Different temperatures in your hand, differing weights. Should be interesting.

Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor – Brass (USA)

Charcoal Goods’ Everyday Razor has been released as an affordable razor in their range. Charcoal Goods sprung a bit of a surprise with an early release of a limited number (believed to be qty 10) Everyday razors in brass and I was early enough to obtain one. In a totally unexpected move the good old ‘work of art’ handles that made Charcoal Goods famous were the only ones offered. One of the handles available was an Anchor style handle and I didn’t have one, now I do. Less machining should equal less expense, should equate to a less expensive razor. Less machining is the method Charcoal Goods have employed. Most obvious is the omission of much of what is generally accepted as required for blade locating and plate alignment. Machined on the top of the plate are two diamond shaped spigots for locating the blade. Instead of mating into corresponding receptacles in the cap there are large shallow machined circular depressions. Alignment of the cap to blade to plate is taken care of by the blade clamping flats on the plate and cap. Very simple but it all works well in practice. I appreciate the look of the markings on the top of the cap but they must add machining costs. In another positive, normal for Charcoal Goods, the thread engagement is silky smooth. There has been little compromise to appearances and the finished razor is the equal of other brass Charcoal Goods’ razors.

Grab to cap, position the blade over the???? Hey, there’s nothing more there than the centre post here. Ahh yes! the blade positioning posts are on the plate. That is the only point I could find to grumble about with the Everyday. This is one razor that certainly impressed me. Super smooth, an extremely close shave, a very pleasant amount of blade feel and efficiency on the higher side of a Karve CB Level #C, this is heaven. For anyone who has sampled the Charcoal Goods Level #2 razor, the Everyday is slightly down in efficiency but certainly well above the efficiency of the Charcoal Goods Level #1. What a splendid razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Rubie and Wilkinson Sword
Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 109g
Head Width – 44.53mm
Handle Length – 88.9mm
Handle Diameter – 12.42mm
Availability – Charcoal Goods
Final Word – Nigh on perfection

Charcoal Goods’ Everyday Razor has been released as an affordable razor in their range. Charcoal Goods sprung a bit of a surprise with an early release of a limited number (believed to be qty 10) Everyday razors in brass and I was early enough to obtain one. In a totally unexpected move the good old ‘work of art’ handles that made Charcoal Goods famous were the only ones offered. One of the handles available was an Anchor style handle and I didn’t have one, now I do. Less machining should equal less expense, should equate to a less expensive razor. Less machining is the method Charcoal Goods have employed. Most obvious is the omission of much of what is generally accepted as required for blade locating and plate alignment. Machined on the top of the plate are two diamond shaped spigots for locating the blade. Instead of mating into corresponding receptacles in the cap there are large shallow machined circular depressions. Alignment of the cap to blade to plate is taken care of by the blade clamping flats on the plate and cap. Very simple but it all works well in practice. I appreciate the look of the markings on the top of the cap but they must add machining costs. In another positive, normal for Charcoal Goods, the thread engagement is silky smooth. There has been little compromise to appearances and the finished razor is the equal of other brass Charcoal Goods’ razors.

Grab to cap, position the blade over the???? Hey, there’s nothing more there than the centre post here. Ahh yes! the blade positioning posts are on the plate. That is the only point I could find to grumble about with the Everyday. This is one razor that certainly impressed me. Super smooth, an extremely close shave, a very pleasant amount of blade feel and efficiency on the higher side of a Karve CB Level #C, this is heaven. For anyone who has sampled the Charcoal Goods Level #2 razor, the Everyday is slightly down in efficiency but certainly well above the efficiency of the Charcoal Goods Level #1. What a splendid razor.

Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 109g
Head Width – 44.53mm
Handle Length – 88.9mm

Well worth the wait as this one looks like a great investment! Thanks again @Errol for the detailed review. (y)

Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 109g
Head Width – 44.53mm
Handle Length – 88.9mm
Another awesome review Errol. I have a CG level 2 stainless that I love.

Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 109g
Head Width – 44.53mm
Handle Length – 88.9mm
Thank you the lovely razor review. Hopefully readily available in 2021 as advertised. Again thank you @Errol for getting access to something we generally don't. With this, do you know if the stainless premium variants will be available again as I ain't a brass/bronze or copper guy?

Everyday razor image links of the cap designs, if you are curious:
Underside of Top cap
Top side of baseplate that shows diamond mounts.
Baseplate underside view

Thank you the lovely razor review. Hopefully readily available in 2021 as advertised. Again thank you @Errol for getting access to something we generally don't. With this, do you know if the stainless premium variants will be available again as I ain't a brass/bronze or copper guy?

Everyday razor image links of the cap designs, if you are curious:
Underside of Top cap
Top side of baseplate that shows diamond mounts.
Baseplate underside view

@RustyBlade Thanks for the links supplied, as it really demonstrates just how much less machining is involved in producing the Everyday. I purchase my Charcoal Goods razors from their web site and receive emails the same as everyone else. I do however check all sites quite often when I'm waiting on something. This has allowed me to have a stainless steel Everyday in the post right now where there was no email notification sent. Below is the last email I received from Brian regarding the stainless steel Everyday that sheds some light on his plans:

Hello Errol,
Looks like the package made it to Sydney so at least it's relatively nearby now! Hope that the new order arrives a little quicker than the last one and makes a nice addition to your collection. Thanks again for all of your support and hopefully I'll be back up and running again around New Years.
best,
~Brian

I have forwarded Brian a link to the brass Everyday post this morning

Occam Enoch V1 (China)

I think that if I stood on one leg and jumped up and down the rocks in my head would rattle. “If you liked the shave of the Classic Cobra, the O.R.E.N or the original Occam’s Razor we know you will love this razor.” I can’t say I liked any of them but each must have had some redeeming feature and my initial thinking was that if Classic Shaving keep trying long enough, eventually they must get something right, so I purchased the Enoch. It appears that the Enoch was inspired by the design of the Asylum Rx but they lost one hell of a lot in the interpretation; it may bear some resemblance to the Asylum Rx but the quality is simply not there. There were problems when the first batch of razors were received and they did not pass QA and I shake my head wondering how this batch got through QA if the remainder of the batch were anything like mine. The Enoch is made by the Metal Injection Moulding process but has had some machining and polishing done later. At a quick glance the razor looks OK but look closer and you’ll see that joints do not align and there are pop holes in the metal. Worst of all, there is a tongue and groove slide between the cap and what I’ll call the bottom plate that freezes up. I cannot see anything bent or out of alignment so therefore assume it has something to do with the unfinished surface of the sintered metal parts locking together when screwed down. It actually requires a light tap against something solid to break the bond. In addition, the ends of the lather groove have around 5mm of unsupported protrusion just waiting to be bumped, bent and broken off. There is a hexagonal bee hive affect pattern along the length of the handle that looks quite nice; the handle is a good length but thin and flares to a large unsightly mushroomed shaped end. As most already know, I appreciate well formed and close fitting threads but again I’m let down with a sloppy fit.

Loading the blade was a fiddly exercise; the posts holding the blade on the base plate are not very high and because of the poor quality Metal Injection Moulding their tops are rounded off. This makes it a balancing act to position the blade on the posts while engaging the tongued part of the cap into the groove on the head. Stop complaining Errol and get on with the shave! I have to say that the delivered shave was very good but with one annoyance that I’ll get to. Maneuverability, tick, never a problem; Smooth, tick, in fact it was excellent; Close, tick, there’s few razors that can shave as close as this SE; Efficiency, around that of a Karve CB Level #D; Blade Feel, tick, positive but not overly done. For most part the razor performed flawlessly but at the bottom of the downward stroke on the neck, it would ride on the shoulder of the cap next to the blade. That leading edge on the cap just needs to be a bit thinner in section. Even that annoyance become less of a factor after a couple of uses, natural compensations took over and made the necessary adjustments. How can such a crappy razor shave so good? A good shave wasn’t enough, this razor is the last straw and while Classic Shaving continues with the manufacture and sale of second rate sintered stainless steel razors, my money will be staying in my pocket.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather ProGuard
Material –
316 Stainless Steel - MIM
Weight – 77g
Head Width – 50.63mm
Handle Length – About 85mm
Handle Diameter – About 10mm
Availability – Classic Shaving
Final Word – Very second rate

Occam Enoch V1 (China)

I think that if I stood on one leg and jumped up and down the rocks in my head would rattle. “If you liked the shave of the Classic Cobra, the O.R.E.N or the original Occam’s Razor we know you will love this razor.” I can’t say I liked any of them but each must have had some redeeming feature and my initial thinking was that if Classic Shaving keep trying long enough, eventually they must get something right, so I purchased the Enoch. It appears that the Enoch was inspired by the design of the Asylum Rx but they lost one hell of a lot in the interpretation; it may bear some resemblance to the Asylum Rx but the quality is simply not there. There were problems when the first batch of razors were received and they did not pass QA and I shake my head wondering how this batch got through QA if the remainder of the batch were anything like mine. The Enoch is made by the Metal Injection Moulding process but has had some machining and polishing done later. At a quick glance the razor looks OK but look closer and you’ll see that joints do not align and there are pop holes in the metal. Worst of all, there is a tongue and groove slide between the cap and what I’ll call the bottom plate that freezes up. I cannot see anything bent or out of alignment so therefore assume it has something to do with the unfinished surface of the sintered metal parts locking together when screwed down. It actually requires a light tap against something solid to break the bond. In addition, the ends of the lather groove have around 5mm of unsupported protrusion just waiting to be bumped, bent and broken off. There is a hexagonal bee hive affect pattern along the length of the handle that looks quite nice; the handle is a good length but thin and flares to a large unsightly mushroomed shaped end. As most already know, I appreciate well formed and close fitting threads but again I’m let down with a sloppy fit.

Loading the blade was a fiddly exercise; the posts holding the blade on the base plate are not very high and because of the poor quality Metal Injection Moulding their tops are rounded off. This makes it a balancing act to position the blade on the posts while engaging the tongued part of the cap into the groove on the head. Stop complaining Errol and get on with the shave! I have to say that the delivered shave was very good but with one annoyance that I’ll get to. Maneuverability, tick, never a problem; Smooth, tick, in fact it was excellent; Close, tick, there’s few razors that can shave as close as this SE; Efficiency, around that of a Karve CB Level #D; Blade Feel, tick, positive but not overly done. For most part the razor performed flawlessly but at the bottom of the downward stroke on the neck, it would ride on the shoulder of the cap next to the blade. That leading edge on the cap just needs to be a bit thinner in section. Even that annoyance become less of a factor after a couple of uses, natural compensations took over and made the necessary adjustments. How can such a crappy razor shave so good? A good shave wasn’t enough, this razor is the last straw and while Classic Shaving continues with the manufacture and sale of second rate sintered stainless steel razors, my money will be staying in my pocket.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather ProGuard
Material –
316 Stainless Steel - MIM
Weight – 77g
Head Width – 50.63mm
Handle Length – About 85mm
Handle Diameter – About 10mm
Availability – Classic Shaving
Final Word – Very second rate

I was looking at the picture and it took a minute but I was like.....'that reminds me of the Asylum Rx' but maybe a hillbilly second cousin version.
I'm amazed it shaved so well given the fit and finish. Though I was expecting a slightly happier ending to the story after you said it shaved so well. Thank you for the review.

You are a brave man Errol. So sorry you had to go through that.:cry:
+1
Greatest respect for not doing only the first and second tier razors, but equally taking on what looks like a bellow bottom tier razor...I hope you treat yourself to something nice next (y)

Razorock Hawk V3 (Canada)

After examining the impeccable finish on the Hawk V3, I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s some premium razor manufacturers that should be hanging their heads in shame. Razorock is a middle of the road type producer of razors but the quality of their finish just gets better every time I inspect a new razor from their range. This finish is undoubtedly machine polished but there is not a fault to be found and, try as hard as I can, I cannot see any machine marks. Good stuff. Razorock’s Hawk V3 is machined stainless steel and follows on from their earlier aluminium releases. Razorock have not taken over the mantel as the most minimalist designed SE but there is little excess metal in their design. Both top corners of the head have been machined out leaving only sufficient metal for the handle post. There is pressed knurling on the Bulldog handle and even it has been very well polished and it’d be doubtful if there are going to be any problems with grip.

It's good to change from the DE razors I generally use and move to a SE every now and then. I must say that I’ve picked a great bit of kit for this week’s review. Loading the blade is a bit fiddley, made more difficult by the blade locating pins being positioned on the plate; had the pins been positioned on the cap the whole exercise could have been much simpler. The Hawk’s efficiency is just above that of a Karve CB Level #C and smooth as. There was a small but pleasing amount of blade feel present so I came away with an inner smug feeling and doing the ‘gee, that was nice’ chin rub. It only happened after the first shave that razor burn kicked in, nothing serious but it annoyed me all day. Putting that one instance of razor burn aside, here is one very forgiving razor that performs flawlessly and delivers stellar results.

Blades Used – Feather Professional blade and Kai Captain Titan Mild
Material –
Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 101g
Head Width – 50.36mm
Handle Length – 90.54mm
Handle Diameter – 12.62mm
Availability – Italian Barber
Final Word – Really delivers the goods

Great review Errol.

What blade did you use?

I find that with single edge razors are greatly affected by blade choice.
With open comb version of the Hawk V3 and a super pro feather I find the razor more efficient than an R41, then using the Proline blade, the razor tames down to a Karve SB E plate level shave.

Razorock Hawk V3 (Canada)

After examining the impeccable finish on the Hawk V3, I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s some premium razor manufacturers that should be hanging their heads in shame. Razorock is a middle of the road type producer of razors but the quality of their finish just gets better every time I inspect a new razor from their range. This finish is undoubtedly machine polished but there is not a fault to be found and, try as hard as I can, I cannot see any machine marks. Good stuff. Razorock’s Hawk V3 is machined stainless steel and follows on from their earlier aluminium releases. Razorock have not taken over the mantel as the most minimalist designed SE but there is little excess metal in their design. Both top corners of the head have been machined out leaving only sufficient metal for the handle post. There is pressed knurling on the Bulldog handle and even it has been very well polished and it’d be doubtful if there are going to be any problems with grip.

It's good to change from the DE razors I generally use and move to a SE every now and then. I must say that I’ve picked a great bit of kit for this week’s review. Loading the blade is a bit fiddley, made more difficult by the blade locating pins being positioned on the plate; had the pins been positioned on the cap the whole exercise could have been much simpler. The Hawk’s efficiency is just above that of a Karve CB Level #C and smooth as. There was a small but pleasing amount of blade feel present so I came away with an inner smug feeling and doing the ‘gee, that was nice’ chin rub. It only happened after the first shave that razor burn kicked in, nothing serious but it annoyed me all day. Putting that one instance of razor burn aside, here is one very forgiving razor that performs flawlessly and delivers stellar results.

Material –
Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 101g
Head Width – 50.36mm
Handle Length – 90.54mm
Handle Diameter – 12.62mm
Availability – Italian Barber
Final Word – Really delivers the goods

Glad it passed muster with you @Errol as I am very happy it. I had scored the Black Hawk a couple of years back and it has been a solid performer so when the SS version became available it was only a matter of time til I bit the bullet and added it to my collection.
I think you're right about the blade loading. With the Black Hawk the blade loaded into the cap whereas with the SS the blade loads onto the base plate then fit the top cap. Loading the top cap on the Black Hawk is simpler but loading the plate on the SS Hawk is fine especially after you've done it a few times.
I've been using the Feather Pro Super pretty much exclusively in the SS Hawk so far but I'm due for a blade change so I'll give the Kai Captain Titan Mild and and the Schick Proline a run as well.
I haven't regretted duplicating the Hawk, the SS version as you say is well made and it's a no nonsense, efficient comfortable shave and now with the SS version it's very likely it will long outlive me.

Great review Errol.

What blade did you use?

Great review as usual Errol. Am I correct in assuming that this is the regular version and not the "A" plate?

Yes this was the regular version.

Glad it passed muster with you @Errol as I am very happy it. I had scored the Black Hawk a couple of years back and it has been a solid performer so when the SS version became available it was only a matter of time til I bit the bullet and added it to my collection.
I think you're right about the blade loading. With the Black Hawk the blade loaded into the cap whereas with the SS the blade loads onto the base plate then fit the top cap. Loading the top cap on the Black Hawk is simpler but loading the plate on the SS Hawk is fine especially after you've done it a few times.
I've been using the Feather Pro Super pretty much exclusively in the SS Hawk so far but I'm due for a blade change so I'll give the Kai Captain Titan Mild and and the Schick Proline a run as well.
I haven't regretted duplicating the Hawk, the SS version as you say is well made and it's a no nonsense, efficient comfortable shave and now with the SS version it's very likely it will long outlive me.

I would have no doubt the Feather Pro Super would work a treat in the V3. I was tempted to try it myself and should have done for the second blade.