Site downtime 10/11/20 - Move of hosting server

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Some of you may have noticed that the site was offline last night for a period of time. We were actually required to move off our previous hosting platform and move to newer, faster and more reliable hardware.

The good news is that we are now hosted on a AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU with plenty of RAM, a greater amount of faster storage, and we have moved into KVM Virtualisation instead of the previous OpenVZ technology which is now out of support. This server is actually faster than my own PC at home, I have a Ryzen 3800X. Hopefully you feel that the site is snappier and much more responsive.

We did have a number of issues brought up by a new install of cPanel, a bug in the SQL Database for the new minimum version, and a forum software issue where it does not like the higher version of PHP that I could work around the SQL bug with. So at 2am after a database version downgrade and a few additional quirks, I was finally was able to restore the site at around 2am AEDT.

There is still more work to do including getting backups running again, plus decommissioning of the old server. This will be done in the next few days, and a forum software upgrade should happen at some stage in December.