What are your Old School practices, other than wet shaving?

Why didn't I see this thread before?

Not nearly as industrious or self sufficient as many but I do -
  • Clean, condition and polish leather shoes and boots by hand.
  • Write with a number of different fountain pens.
  • Wear a mechanical watch, from my son's birth year.
  • Cook all meals from scratch, with takeaway in our house still a rare treat.
  • Look strangers in the eye and wish them good morning or good evening (kids think I'm weird)
  • Converse with staff in shops or at checkouts in supermarket (ditto)
  • Offer my seat for women or older people (but am waiting for it to happen to me!)
  • Act gentlemanly when around women, although increasingly cautiously and sensitively to avoid offence
  • Call my parents every weekend (and visit my FiL as regularly as we can and spend the weekend helping him with chores)
  • Wear a suit and tie to work most days (which now seems old school!)
  • Wear a jacket when going out mostly, even just shopping, and unlined linen is certainly your friend in summer as @Ebonysw45
  • Tie my own bow tie (not THAT hard, here is the best video I found - any man over 40 MUST be able to do this IMHO)
  • Care about spelling, grammar, vocabulary and the art of precise writing (without being OTT)
  • Respect people - I hope!
Shame that we think some of these things are 'old school' and thus presumably no longer fashionable ...

Great thread idea @TomG

Why didn't I see this thread before?

Not nearly as industrious or self sufficient as many but I do -
  • Clean, condition and polish leather shoes and boots by hand.
  • Write with a number of different fountain pens.
  • Wear a mechanical watch, from my son's birth year.
  • Cook all meals from scratch, with takeaway in our house still a rare treat.
  • Look strangers in the eye and wish them good morning or good evening (kids think I'm weird)
  • Converse with staff in shops or at checkouts in supermarket (ditto)
  • Offer my seat for women or older people (but am waiting for it to happen to me!)
  • Act gentlemanly when around women, although increasingly cautiously and sensitively to avoid offence
  • Call my parents every weekend (and visit my FiL as regularly as we can and spend the weekend helping him with chores)
  • Wear a suit and tie to work most days (which now seems old school!)
  • Wear a jacket when going out mostly, even just shopping, and unlined linen is certainly your friend in summer as @Ebonysw45
  • Tie my own bow tie (not THAT hard, here is the best video I found - any man over 40 MUST be able to do this IMHO)
  • Care about spelling, grammar, vocabulary and the art of precise writing (without being OTT)
  • Respect people - I hope!
Shame that we think some of these things are 'old school' and thus presumably no longer fashionable ...

Great thread idea @TomG
A list that sums up the man - the Gentleman General!