Anyone selling honed vintage straight razors here?

Mistertaz

Hey everyone!

I’ve contacted Steve from Proserpine SR Co for a new custom SR, but haven’t heard back for awhile.

In the meantime I’ve been looking at some honed vintage SRs on eBay, but thought I’d see if anyone here knows any Australians who sell them. I’m just after a well priced basic honed SR to learn with.

Thanks!

You could try panlal_0 on ebay. He is down your way. I know someone grabbed a nice razor off him recently. His prices are fair and many are shave ready. I recommend finding someone in Victoria to save yourself the cost and wait on shipping if you need a razor honed. Shipping times are pretty slow currently. If you find yourself a nice razor that doesn't require a restore but does need sharpening Ill put an edge on it for you but only if you cant find someone local. Shipping would be on you but Ill do the honing for free.

You could try panlal_0 on ebay. He is down your way. I know someone grabbed a nice razor off him recently. His prices are fair and many are shave ready. I recommend finding someone in Victoria to save yourself the cost and wait on shipping if you need a razor honed. Shipping times are pretty slow currently. If you find yourself a nice razor that doesn't require a restore but does need sharpening Ill put an edge on it for you but only if you cant find someone local. Shipping would be on you but Ill do the honing for free.
I’ll see if I can find him on eBay. Is he active on here at all? And thank you very much for the offer!

David at The Wet Shaving Co sells restored vintage razors. I've bought several off him over the years and have never had a complaint.

As Gargravarr suggested panlal_0 on ebay is another good source.

David at The Wet Shaving Co sells restored vintage razors. I've bought several off him over the years and have never had a complaint.

As Gargravarr suggested panlal_0 on ebay is another good source.
Panlal_0 doesn’t have any for sale at the moment. Does anybody have his off-eBay contact details? I’ll check out The Wet Shaving Co too. Thanks!

Panlal_0 doesn’t have any for sale at the moment. Does anybody have his off-eBay contact details? I’ll check out The Wet Shaving Co too. Thanks!

I forgot to mention, The Wet Shaving Co also sell Chinese made Gold Dollar straight razors. They are cheap but do hold a sharp edge and may be an alternative for you to try a SR without the initial expense. I own 2 and have been very happy with them.

I forgot to mention, The Wet Shaving Co also sell Chinese made Gold Dollar straight razors. They are cheap but do hold a sharp edge and may be an alternative for you to try a SR without the initial expense. I own 2 and have been very happy with them.
I’m planning to buy a GD as well to just practice stropping and eventually honing. Which model would you recommend? I noticed they have carbon and stainless. Besides that, is it just the scales? I was going to pick up the absolute basic carbon model.

Carbon steel blades are much easier to hone than stainless so go with one of them.

Any of them are good to start off with. Maybe stay away from the W89 due to the Spanish point. The 910 or the R10 with the rounded Dutch point would be a good starter.

The Gold Dollar stainless steel SR's are not as stainless as you may be use to. I know from experience that they stain rather easily.

Check with The Wet Shaving Co to see if their Gold Dollar's are supplied truly shave-ready. The factory edge on the Gold Dollars (and most other modem SR's) are not shave-ready.

My recommendation is either the Gold Dollar P81 or their 208. My personal favourite is their W59 but, with its pronounced Spanish point, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

full

Last edited:
Carbon steel blades are much easier to hone than stainless so go with one of them.

Any of them are good to start off with. Maybe stay away from the W89 due to the Spanish point. The 910 or the R10 with the rounded Dutch point would be a good starter.
Gold Dollar "stainless" steel razors are so far from what we would consider stainless steel that I find them no more difficult to hone than their medium carbon steel blades.

If you want a reasonably priced true stainless steel SR, I would recommend the Titan ACRO T.H.64 available on AliExpress.

My favourite stainless steel SR is the Titan ACRO T.H-70, although I wouldn't consider it reasonably priced. This blade is one of the hardest that I have honed. The steel has a very fine grain size with strong intergranular bonding. After honing it takes and holds a wonderful edge

The Gold Dollar W89 has a Dutch (round) point, not a Spanish point.

Last edited:
Check with The Wet Shaving Co to see if their Gold Dollar's are supplied truly shave-ready. The factory edge on the Gold Dollars (and most other modem SR's) are not shave-ready.
The Wet Shaving Co does not supply their Gold Dollars as shave ready, but with the factory edge, nor do they claim to

The Gold Dollar W89 has a Dutch (round) point, not a Spanish point.

I actually meant the W56 not the W89.

Not even $400 razors come truly shave ready, so you would hardly expect a $20 to come with one.

I actually meant the W56 not the W89.

Not even $400 razors come truly shave ready, so you would hardly expect a $20 to come with one.
The Gold Dollar W56 is more like a French point, definitely not a Spanish point. Maybe you mean theit W59 which has a very pronounced Spanish point.

I agree that most new SR's do not have a shave-ready factory edge. Some vendors will supply a new SR (even a Gold Dollar) with a shave-ready edge for an extra fee. Expect to pay tens of dollars extra.

The Gold Dollar W56 is more like a French point, definitely not a Spanish point..

True, but the point I was making to an unexperienced user was to avoid sharp points and stick with a Dutch point until he is comfortable.

Not that I am aware of. The shave-ready vintage razors they sell are cleaned up and honed by someone else prior to sale from memory.

I believe David who owns the company can arrange it if you ask as I remember him asking me once about who hones mine.

Though they aren't really shave ready, it actually doesn't take much to get them there.

As Mistertaz wants one to practice on, they would be ideal.