Any Scale Modellers?

Bucephalus

After MANY years (decades) away from the hobby, I have decided to return to it but recognise the loss of my former skills and knowledge. Therefore, advice/hints/tips from fellow enthusiasts would be appreciated.
Best Wishes / Deagh Dhùrachdan
Jim
32.04’.04”S 115.48’.30”E

Mods: If posted incorrectly, please correct.

Oh no, @Mark1966 will be along with his tales of his childhood and the WW2 tank factory he established.

I've made a couple if 1/72 WW2 aircraft, but struggle to find the time and patience to sit down and concentrate.

Oh no, @Mark1966 will be along with his tales of his childhood and the WW2 tank factory he established.

Somebody has a good memory!

Yes, the obsessive and compulsive started early with me and around 200 - 300 1/72 scale WWII armour for wargaming.

I've made a couple if 1/72 WW2 aircraft, but struggle to find the time and patience to sit down and concentrate.

Ditto - not sure where I would fine the time now and what I would do with them.

What were you into @Bucephalus ?

Somebody has a good memory!

Yes, the obsessive and compulsive started early with me and around 200 - 300 1/72 scale WWII armour for wargaming.

Ditto - not sure where I would fine the time now and what I would do with them.

What were you into @Bucephalus ?

Mainly WW1 aircraft. For plastic rigging wire which never appeared to scale, I made my own from starched cotton thread, tweezers and a steady hand - long gone now I'm afraid.
Back then, the kits I bought were mainly the Airfix brand - crap ! Now, the best is Tamiya, closely followed by Hasegawa and I read Airfix have dramatically upped their game so I may have to revisit a few of their offerings.

Mainly WW1 aircraft. For plastic rigging wire which never appeared to scale, I made my own from starched cotton thread, tweezers and a steady hand - long gone now I'm afraid.
Back then, the kits I bought were mainly the Airfix brand - crap ! Now, the best is Tamiya, closely followed by Hasegawa and I read Airfix have dramatically upped their game so I may have to revisit a few of their offerings.

WWI aircraft - I’m impressed!

hard yards there I’d say.

WWI aircraft - I’m impressed!

hard yards there I’d say.

I could occupy several weeks to complete a model with intricate details. Instructions were thoroughly read, and parts inspected and compared with assembly diagrams. Glueing could be a nightmare but I learned to apply glue, which came only in small tubes, using the "squeeze and toothpick" method. Too much "squeeze" along joining surfaces resulted in over-fill which was almost impossible to remove when it seeped out. I made a gentle squeeze of glue onto a jar lid and applied with a toothpicks which I previously trimmed to blunt, chisel or needle-point tips.
Now, glue comes in plastic bottles each with it's own needle applicator, but there's still a place for the toothpick method I believe.

I could occupy several weeks to complete a model with intricate details. Instructions were thoroughly read, and parts inspected and compared with assembly diagrams. Glueing could be a nightmare but I learned to apply glue, which came only in small tubes, using the "squeeze and toothpick" method. Too much "squeeze" along joining surfaces resulted in over-fill which was almost impossible to remove when it seeped out. I made a gentle squeeze of glue onto a jar lid and applied with a toothpicks which I previously trimmed to blunt, chisel or needle-point tips.
Now, glue comes in plastic bottles each with it's own needle applicator, but there's still a place for the toothpick method I believe.
Agreed, I did some modelling when I was a kid (Airfix), and learned very quickly that I could make an awful mess with the glue. I used needles, but I reckon your toothpick idea is better.

Hmmm, I always used the Tamiya Plastic Cement -

T87012.png

But is seems there is a wide range now - https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/hobby-supplies/glues-adhesives/plastic-cement/