Suits

Keeping the thread alive, in my new role they require “business casual” or better seeing how much effort folk put into not wearing a suit left me thinking, I’ll just wear a suit.
my only suit besides my dinner suits I use for lodge was a 42 blue Connor number my old real estate firm bought me which was nice at the time but god it’s seen some stuff.. so I’m going to have it cleaned and give it to vinnies now that I actually wear a 40.
So now I’m all about grey and have a blue for days when I’m over excited.
Yep, fun times.

I'd still say MJ Bale (outlet centre in Fyshwick) or Peter Jackson and you will be sorted.

I'd still say MJ Bale (outlet centre in Fyshwick) or Peter Jackson and you will be sorted.
You are the second person to recommend MJ bale to me.
This may just be a thing then huh

If you know your measurements grab a quality suit on ebay and have alterations done. No shoulder alterations, everything else is doable by a good tailor. You can pick up a nice Zegna or Even Saville Row for reasonable money.

If you know your measurements grab a quality suit on ebay and have alterations done. No shoulder alterations, everything else is doable by a good tailor. You can pick up a nice Zegna or Even Saville Row for reasonable money.
How do you account for wear ?

How do you account for wear ?
A lot of suits/jackets I’ve found on eBay UK have had little wear. Either a big rotation and or weight gain has meant I have picked up many a good deal. Make sure there are plenty of photos. Of the many items I’ve purchased I have only returned 1.

I forgot to add that Styeforum is a good place as well. Prices are higher but your dealing with a group of guys who appreciate well made suits/shoes etc and they know how to measure a jacket and trousers.

Last edited:
Some useful observations here. I no longer really wear suits, but I still have a couple stashed away, a bespoke Savile Row and a nice Jaeger. Both are somewhat problematic for me, as I have a tendency to bust out the shoulders of jackets, a consequence of many years spent working as a blacksmith. Even T-shirts can be hard for this (Gazman and Rodd & Gunn work for me).

I try to maintain a minimal wardrobe personally so I maintain the following collection of suits for work;

-light grey
-mid/charcoal grey
-navy blue
-black (though I think I may get rid of it as I just don’t wear it often)

Shirts;
Charles Tyrwhitt
2x standard collar white Oxford shirts
2x standard collar blue Oxford shirts
I keep a spare of each in its pack ready to go.

Accessories;
Mix of 5-6 silk or an interesting blend ties, a favourite is my wool prince of Wales tie.
White pocket squares, just cheapies are fine.

in my experience a well fitting cheap suit is worth much more than a poor fitting “fine suit”.
Personally I wear a size 40 jacket with size 34 trousers and so the options are plentiful.
I’m in the process of swapping my cheapies for nicer options though where practical I do still buy used as often the wear is negligible (or I don’t buy them) and the depreciation on say an M.J Bale suit is crazy, $1000 suit for $200 because some one wore it to a wedding once? Yes please.

I try to maintain a minimal wardrobe personally so I maintain the following collection of suits for work;

-light grey
-mid/charcoal grey
-navy blue

Shirts;
Charles Tyrwhitt

Accessories;
Mix of 5-6 silk or an interesting blend ties, a favourite is my wool prince of Wales tie.

in my experience a well fitting cheap suit is worth much more than a poor fitting “fine suit”.
Personally I wear a size 40 jacket with size 34 trousers and so the options are plentiful.
I’m in the process of swapping my cheapies for nicer options though where practical I do still buy used as often the wear is negligible (or I don’t buy them) and the depreciation on say an M.J Bale suit is crazy, $1000 suit for $200 because some one wore it to a wedding once? Yes please.

4 suits is fine, although I have 6, but 4 shirts leaves you one day shy of a week? I have 7 shirts (with a couple still in packs) in case I'm away on a weekend and don't get washing done until early the next week.

Another option for suits is the M J Bale outlet at Fyshwick. I always look at new suits when I'm passing by, picked up a $980 for $450 recently and replaced an older one.

4 suits is fine, although I have 6, but 4 shirts leaves you one day shy of a week? I have 7 shirts (with a couple still in packs) in case I'm away on a weekend and don't get washing done until early the next week.

Another option for suits is the M J Bale outlet at Fyshwick. I always look at new suits when I'm passing by, picked up a $980 for $450 recently and replaced an older one.
I stopped past the MJ bale outlet the other day actually chasing a shirt for my dinner suit, the guy there looked at me like I had two heads and advised maybe Connor had them as he wasn’t sure what it is I want.

I usually just have the 4 shirts in rotation as I always wear undershirts, stand around in air conditioned buildings all day and since we have the three kids most days a load of washing is getting done so if needed that’s always an option.

-light grey
-mid/charcoal grey
-navy blue

Shirts;
Charles Tyrwhitt

Accessories;

Where's your bloody dinner suit Mr Brother Bond
images

I only have one cheap suit, bought for my daughter's wedding.

I had the opportunity to work in a Ministers office as an advisor one of the reasons I turned it down was needing to wear a suit when attending parliament.

Other reasons included being available pretty much all the time and early starts.

I only have one cheap suit, bought for my daughter's wedding.

I had the opportunity to work in a Ministers office as an advisor one of the reasons I turned it down was needing to wear a suit when attending parliament.

Other reasons included being available pretty much all the time and early starts.
Wearing a suit makes you feel like a real gentleman, when you’re surrounded by good men and women. A person who doesn’t wear a suit they think you’re smartass prick who doesn’t do better, or becoming a better person or gentleman.

Wearing a suit makes you feel like a real gentleman, when you’re surrounded by good men and women. A person who doesn’t wear a suit they think you’re smartass prick who doesn’t do better, or becoming a better person or gentleman.
Yeah, nah. No one at work wears a suit on a regular basis.

Let's face what "professions" normally wear a suit; lawyers, car sales men, real-estate sales, politicians all the bastions of morals and public respect.

Yeah, nah. No one at work wears a suit on a regular basis.

Let's face what "professions" normally wear a suit; lawyers, car sales men, real-estate sales, politicians all the bastions of morals and public respect.

... accountants?

When I started out if you left the office without your jacket on ...