Weekly Razor Review

Hi @SpeedyPC I dont have either of those vintage razors and the closest I have is a 66 Slim. The Weishi is 63g compared to Slim 71g.
Slim is head heavy whereas Weishi is very balanced. Took me a while to find the sweet spot with Weishi which for me is when you can feel the ridges on the safety bar against your cheeks.
If I ride the safety bar the razor is very chatty but once you find the groove it is a very decent shave. Might sell all my razors and settle for the Weishi ;)

Lg4OvIw.jpg

I was recently thinking about my favourite razors and the Weishi made the cut.

I received 'The final cut' yesterday..

Loaded her up with a brand new Astra SP.

Lathered up using some Vanilla Sandalwood from Stirling.

JESUS this razor is aggressive!

Lots of blade feedback for those of you that love that feeling (I'm one of them).

I started it off on a 4 out of 6 and very quickly knocked it back to 2 out of 6. Level 2 was a sweet spot for me!

*The main drawback is the handle length. She's very very short.

Build quality is more than OK, it's not Muhle Rocca or my EJ89 level, but very decent for the price point.

I ordered it from thewetshavingco, was shipped overnight and had it the next day.

Will I use it again? yep, but I hate to admit it, the King C razor I've been going back to more often than not when I shave every day.. does such a good job and so smooth.

yaqi-adjustable-de-safety-razor-the-final-cut-370305_900x.jpg

With REX razors, there is something about the look of them that gets me every time.. just as I'm about to invest in the Ambassador I remember the price-tag that goes along with it vs the cost of having a family in Aus!

I wish they were a bit cheaper. The Konsol is next level types of expensive

Yes, the price is a problem indeed. Taxes and customs added on top for non-Americans. Plus shipping.

I got an Envoy, way cheaper and a good way to see if I like the style.
I do not see why REX should be so expensive. Price aside, the head didn't impress me shaving wise. It was a huge disappointment. I like the stand though, finally a stand that definitely doesn't fall over...^^

Not a disappointment but always shy of reaching the desired efficiency was the Timeless .95 scalloped bar for me. I liked it enough to give the .5 Slim OC head a try, and boom... together with a scalloped cap, this one is love.
I am afraid they don't plan to make a steel handle version of the Ti Crown handle anytime soon, a pity. Might have to get it in titanium then.

The Pineapple handle was fancy looking, in practice... it rather threatens to scratch the baseplate if ones doesn't use the delrin washer the razor comes with. I replaced it with a 85mm barberpole from Timeless.

A cheap razor I liked recently is the Razorine Flatboy. I have the 72 handle version. It is basically the Razorine shavette head now mounted on a DE handle. The brass head is nice, the handle has machining marks and definitely not for perfectionists. A buddy doesn't like it much, but as long as I do not search for them I do not see them, good enough for me.

For Rex, I do not think their head design, which is unlike "modern" clamping heavy designs I appreciate, will ever do it for me. Lots of exposure, little blade support. Was just not a fan and given the quality I got, their semipolished matte finish, I do not think their price is warranted at all. In general enthusiast razors are expensive, but I think the top end producers can demand such prices. There are many black sheep though when it comes to what they ask and what they deliver in quality and finish.

Yes, the price is a problem indeed. Taxes and customs added on top for non-Americans. Plus shipping.

I got an Envoy, way cheaper and a good way to see if I like the style.
I do not see why REX should be so expensive. Price aside, the head didn't impress me shaving wise. It was a huge disappointment. I like the stand though, finally a stand that definitely doesn't fall over...^^

Not a disappointment but always shy of reaching the desired efficiency was the Timeless .95 scalloped bar for me. I liked it enough to give the .5 Slim OC head a try, and boom... together with a scalloped cap, this one is love.
I am afraid they don't plan to make a steel handle version of the Ti Crown handle anytime soon, a pity. Might have to get it in titanium then.

The Pineapple handle was fancy looking, in practice... it rather threatens to scratch the baseplate if ones doesn't use the delrin washer the razor comes with. I replaced it with a 85mm barberpole from Timeless.

A cheap razor I liked recently is the Razorine Flatboy. I have the 72 handle version. It is basically the Razorine shavette head now mounted on a DE handle. The brass head is nice, the handle has machining marks and definitely not for perfectionists. A buddy doesn't like it much, but as long as I do not search for them I do not see them, good enough for me.

For Rex, I do not think their head design, which is unlike "modern" clamping heavy designs I appreciate, will ever do it for me. Lots of exposure, little blade support. Was just not a fan and given the quality I got, their semipolished matte finish, I do not think their price is warranted at all. In general enthusiast razors are expensive, but I think the top end producers can demand such prices. There are many black sheep though when it comes to what they ask and what they deliver in quality and finish.
Old Fart Puppa Smurf the Rex adjustable will never be on shopping list, because, I’m happy with my Fatboy, Slim and two Super adjustable both are my birth year S3 ‘72 short and long handles is good enough against the Rex.

A cheap razor I liked recently is the Razorine Flatboy. I have the 72 handle version. It is basically the Razorine shavette head now mounted on a DE handle.

Why am I having such a hard time finding information on this razor? Even when I search it and click on links it's taking me to the shavette..

Lambda Athena (Greece)

Lambda’s first release razor, the Ares was a very limited production so I was a little surprised when I was asked what serial number Athena I would like. I requested my regular #46 and was advised that the number was available. I understand there were 50 razors in the Athena release and these were snapped up in about 48 hours. I’d been following news of this release for some time and thanks to a friend feeding inside information on the progress of the Athena, knew that the razors were ready for dispatch but the hold up was with the delivery of the wooden cases Lambda was having made. And what a case it is; machined out of a straight grained African mahogany with a beautiful deep venetian red finish and contrasting white felt inserts, complete with bronze fittings. Lambda even went to the trouble of inserting magnets into the lid to have it snap down and hold closed for general use. This case is a gorgeous piece of work.

While the case is perfection, the appearance of this razor just blows my mind!!! Photos of the razor only show half the story. Other than the underside of the cap, every part has been hand polished to a mirror finish and doesn’t that bronze present well when polished. There is a contrasting satin band towards the end of the handle and four flats milled into the grip area are also satin finished. Compared to the OC Ares, the plate of the Athena does not apply near as much curvature to the blade. Large flats on the outside edge of the cap mate to corresponding flats on the plate to securely hold the blade. No lather groove is machined through the plate; instead, a series of channels on the top of plate disperses lather to a centre collection area to clear the lather through four channel holes on the end of the plate, interesting. Looking somewhat torpedo shaped, the handle flares to a finger rest at the end. A series of grooves are machined into the grip area of the handle and combined with the four milled flats holding the razor should be be a breeze. This razor oozes quality and its presentation is perfect.

If you’ve ever used a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 or Gen 2 in Level #2, you’ll will have a very good idea of what to expect and know just how good the Athena is. With Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a very usable amount of blade feel, the whiskers did not stand a chance. Each pass was so smooth and close, just what I like in any razor. Until I used it, I was not fully convinced about the handle but it provided positive grip and I found that my little finger migrated to sit comfortably in front of that little knob at the end of the handle. In that position the control I had of the razor was superb and the razor was working for me and I was not having to chase it. This is a very well thought out handle razor that has been expertly engineered. There were no issues with the clearing of lather but it did not fountain out the end like I hoped it would. During one shave I tried to remove the cap to examine the lather clearing by the channels on the plate but all I could see was a great blob of lather; there were no lather issues so it must work. This razor is very much a show pony but to its credit it also delivers, well done Theodoros, I’m eagerly waiting for your next model release.

Blades Used – Bic and Gillette Nacet
Material – Bronze
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 114g
Head Width – 42.18mm
Handle Length – 94.90mm
Handle Diameter – 14.87mm
Availability – Lambda
Final Word – Engineering, design, and performance

Lambda Athena (Greece)

Lambda’s first release razor, the Ares was a very limited production so I was a little surprised when I was asked what serial number Athena I would like. I requested my regular #46 and was advised that the number was available. I understand there were 50 razors in the Athena release and these were snapped up in about 48 hours. I’d been following news of this release for some time and thanks to a friend feeding inside information on the progress of the Athena, knew that the razors were ready for dispatch but the hold up was with the delivery of the wooden cases Lambda was having made. And what a case it is; machined out of a straight grained African mahogany with a beautiful deep venetian red finish and contrasting white felt inserts, complete with bronze fittings. Lambda even went to the trouble of inserting magnets into the lid to have it snap down and hold closed for general use. This case is a gorgeous piece of work.

While the case is perfection, the appearance of this razor just blows my mind!!! Photos of the razor only show half the story. Other than the underside of the cap, every part has been hand polished to a mirror finish and doesn’t that bronze present well when polished. There is a contrasting satin band towards the end of the handle and four flats milled into the grip area are also satin finished. Compared to the OC Ares, the plate of the Athena does not apply near as much curvature to the blade. Large flats on the outside edge of the cap mate to corresponding flats on the plate to securely hold the blade. No lather groove is machined through the plate; instead, a series of channels on the top of plate disperses lather to a centre collection area to clear the lather through four channel holes on the end of the plate, interesting. Looking somewhat torpedo shaped, the handle flares to a finger rest at the end. A series of grooves are machined into the grip area of the handle and combined with the four milled flats holding the razor should be be a breeze. This razor oozes quality and its presentation is perfect.

If you’ve ever used a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 or Gen 2 in Level #2, you’ll will have a very good idea of what to expect and know just how good the Athena is. With Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a very usable amount of blade feel, the whiskers did not stand a chance. Each pass was so smooth and close, just what I like in any razor. Until I used it, I was not fully convinced about the handle but it provided positive grip and I found that my little finger migrated to sit comfortably in front of that little knob at the end of the handle. In that position the control I had of the razor was superb and the razor was working for me and I was not having to chase it. This is a very well thought out handle razor that has been expertly engineered. There were no issues with the clearing of lather but it did not fountain out the end like I hoped it would. During one shave I tried to remove the cap to examine the lather clearing by the channels on the plate but all I could see was a great blob of lather; there were no lather issues so it must work. This razor is very much a show pony but to its credit it also delivers, well done Theodoros, I’m eagerly waiting for your next model release.

Material – Bronze
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 114g
Head Width – 42.18mm
Handle Length – 94.90mm
Availability – Lambda

Looks similar to the R41 style, not sure this will be added to my shopping list, because, I’ve already got the R41 in stainless steel age’s ago.

Lambda Athena (Greece)

Material – Bronze
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 114g
Head Width – 42.18mm
Handle Length – 94.90mm
Availability – Lambda

Another great review - but I think we need MORE PICS!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

GET OUT OF MY BLOODY RABBIT HOLE!!! @Razor Burn, I'm not ready for this.
Sadly not quick enough to grab this beauty as since Sold Out but a real shame as one of the nicest razor's I've seen and was selling for an affordable price. :love: Congrats to @Errol as an absolute stunner!!!

Parker 96R (India)

@Phunk describes this very razor as garbage and advised that the 96R delivered a shaving with an asphalt experience. I’ve tried some bad razors but never heard of any razor being described as delivering a shave so bad that it’s been labeled as producing a ‘shaving with asphalt experience’. I wondered what an asphalt shaving experience would be like, so I offered to purchase the offending blade holder to find out, but @Phunk had had enough after two shaves and gave it to me; from my perspective the price was right and @Phunk was probably not too much out of pocket either, even if he did pay for postage, thanks Brendan. I offered to do a review of the razor soon after it was received so here today, straight from @Phunk – the offending Parker 96R razor complete with its shaving with asphalt experience!!!

Assembled from chrome plated brass with black handle, the Parker 96R is a twist to open style razor with a straight bar, nice and simple and that is all that is required to describe this razor. There are many other razors out there that are made to similar specifications, so why is this one so bad. For @Phunk to have had such a bad experience, I’m thinking that there must be something out of alignment. There is a lazy wing on one side, it does not work in tandem with the other side and needs assistance to fully open; only light finger pressure is required but it won’t open without help. To add to the woes, the lazy side wing does not clamp down as far as the other side leaving it cocked up slightly. In this position, a minute difference in the gaps between the closed wings and the centre blade post is visible. It’s no wonder there is a difference in gap when the pivot points were checked they are very sloppy so that won’t be helping anything. This razor has sustained damage at some time as one end plate has a slight kink and is not sitting square. As the tray on the the lazy side lowers, it does so with a very jerky action, the other side moves smoothly. Under normal circumstances I would now straighten the offending end plate and give the razor a dose of oil, but in this case I’m holding back, repairs and oiling can come after I’ve given it at least one outing.

Because I was not really brimming with confidence about the ability of the 96R to deliver, I readied the next review razor, just in case. @Phunk used a Muhle blade to achieve the asphalt shaving experience, so the selection of the first blade was easy. With the blade inserted, it sits parallel, there is an equal amount of blade exposure and equal blade gap, that part all looks good. For some reason, and I hope I can correct it with some maintenance and a good oiling, the shave was terrible. Efficiency was about Karve CB Level #D, there was a generous amount of blade feel but the shave was so rough; I’ve not experienced pulling like that with a Muhle blade previously, and I’m not for one second blaming the Muhle blade. This must be what @Phunk has been referring to. After corrective maintenance and a few drops of oil, both wings opened in harmony, closed flat, the mechanism was a lot smoother, functioned better but I’m sorry to say, the shave was still terrible even if there was an improvement. I was hoping that the results would improve with a bit of tweaking, and I could send the razor back to @Phunk, but mate, you done the right thing, you would not want it back. It’s a dud, and like you, I packed it away after two shaves.

Blade Used – Muhle
Material – Chrome plated brass & black
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 77g
Head Width – 42.86mm
Handle Length – 99mm
Handle Diameter – 11.36mm
Availability – Parker
Final Word – Rubbish

I hope that this R96 is not representative of all the breed. One day I’d like to get my hands on a prime example and just see.
I'm guessing the R96 is pretty representative of Parker TTOs. I had a couple of Pearl TTOs that didn't seem all that bad. One was an open comb TTO. Overall, I think, compared to Parker, Pearl does a better job across the board.