2016 Sabbatical Thread

I just auto-failed filo after last year's effort. I think that he will fail in-perpetum even if he never joins. In 20 years people will be scratching their heads wondering how it happened.

I'm not sure it's fair to tarnish him forever with that brush. The 'sabbatical fail' banners should be given only to those who actually join that particular sabbatical year.

Ahhh, the 'joys' of a sabbatical mail box -

Kinda depressing really ...

Prepare the ticker-tape and band: I've just broken my 2015 Sabbatical. I don't know if I made it quite the whole 12 months, but I do know that I came back here and began buying stuff within 24 hours. Coincidence?

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or throw you to the lions. How did you break a 2015 sabbatical if your temptation was broken in 2016?

It didn't start in January, I think I began in March '15 so I didn't quite get the year.

It didn't start in January, I think I began in March '15 so I didn't quite get the year.

PFFFT - details!

You did not purchase in 2015 after you started your sabbatical - I say that is a success!

PFFFT - details!
You did not purchase in 2015 after you started your sabbatical - I say that is a success!
I'm not sure it counts at all if you don't post here between April and January, thereby removing yourself from all temptation.
For all we know @Mong. may have turned beardy in that time!

A question for our Sabbatical Overlords - does the one-for-one trading of blades contravene the spirit, or otherwise, of the Sabbatical?

I would say that swapsies like that are fine. No net gain and not in the same scale as trading soaps and other kit.

OK, let the odium and self righteous ribbing start.

I am a 2016 Sabbatical Failure

I blame @borked and his post - Heads Up: Vintage razor/s on sale (e.g., eBay, Gumtree, etc.) - alerting me to a butterscotch Wee Scot.

Those of you here for a while may recall I had a NOS/Mint Wee Scot (almost) 'Nano' previously - Great Scott!! It is 'wee' - but butterscotch as well! - but could not bring myself to use it and it was on-sold to a REAL brush collector.

I've always said if I could find another butterscotch Wee Scot (and a butterscotch Chubby 1) I would get them but confess to not having been actively looking. So I didn't think to include on my exclusion list like the (probably more common) Darwin razor. When our friend alerted me to the Wee Scot in his post I put in what I thought was an unlikely bid and it was (just) successful.

Accordingly this brush is now on its was to me -

With the exception of the Darwin and a butterscotch Chubby 1 my intention is still to avoid purchases this year - but I'm still expected our beloved leader @Monsta_AU will insist on the banner being added ...

Last edited:
@Mark1966 not all is lost, sell some stuff to counter the cost and you're still downsizing :)

@Mark1966 not all is lost, sell some stuff to counter the cost and you're still downsizing :)

I have sold stuff ( Feather razor) which covers the cost of the brush - but that was not the point this year.

oops, I meant to add "Didn't even make it to February!"

Yes I know - I'm as surprised as anybody TBH.

Not very surprised at all then.

Well thanks for that vote of confidence!

Notice my banner has already been updated ...

To be honest @Mark1966 you lasted longer than I thought - you did a whole month :D

Well thanks @alfredus for joining with @eggbert in your strong expectations of success :cry:

Yes @borked I do hold you responsible of course.

I am in a quandary now. As I mentioned with the exception of the Darwin and a butterscotch Chubby 1 my intention is still to avoid purchases this year - but I know that this will not restore 2016 as a successful sabbatical - and puts me well and truly behind the eight ball when it comes to any 2017 sabbatical. On the other hand I really don't want to chuck the idea in entirely. Hmmm I will have to ponder.

In the meantime - go @Lifes a Peach and @unobtainium81 !!!