6S or something different?

You guys are pulling me back down the razor rabbit hole. Too much temptation when I come here! 😭
What’s matter Monkey too much P&C banana temptation for you and the RAD rabbit hole.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I’m going to come at the question from a different angle and I’ve got to admit that I haven’t tried the razor. I have one but I’m saving it till I take some leave next year and can get away with one razor for four weeks. I’m suggesting the Homelike Shaving razor out of Russia. Firstly there are four different plates, the quality appears to be good and there is the option of satin or polished finish. All for $150 US and the presentation is not bad either.
That looks very nice. I'd not heard about them before. I'd be interested if there was a lot of good reports out there.

Usually 5 but I occasionally 4 or less if if I'm using blades that are supposed to be exceptionally sharp like a Feather. I was thinking the Game Changer with the bigger gap would be the way to go.

The gamechanger is amazing, are you going for the SB or OC version?
I'm open to advice Stratman but was thinking probably safety bar as I liked that on the Rockwell and the forum advice seems to be a bit more in that direction. I know that's not much to go by.

Also I haven't bonded with my open comb Parker 24c. Struggle to get a close irrigation free shave with it (could have been my technique I'll admit). So while it isn't entirely rational I tend to lean towards safety bars these days.

I'm open to advice Stratman but was thinking probably safety bar as I liked that on the Rockwell and the forum advice seems to be a bit more in that direction. I know that's not much to go by.

Also I haven't bonded with my open comb Parker 24c. Struggle to get a close irrigation free shave with it (could have been my technique I'll admit). So while it isn't entirely rational I tend to lean towards safety bars these days.

i used the GC 0.84 SB and found it extremely smooth but a little too mild for me. The JAWS or the OC are pretty close to what i hear in terms of efficiency with the OC a touch more smooth than the JAWS (just a touch). I dont have a OC but have the JAWS and absolutely love it.

You decision will really depend on your hair type. I have lots (and lots) of dark coarse hair and need an efficient razor to get to my daily requirement of achieving BBS. A mild razor just doesnt take me there. I also have a 6C and mainly use plate 6. The JAWS is so much more efficient than plate 6 and quite smooth and comfy when paired with my favorite blade, the polsilver.

If you dont have that much hair to shave of you probably better of with the SB, if you have an abundance as i do the JAWS or OC is the one.

maybe @Holiday can chime in with his thoughts on his JAWS

i used the GC 0.84 SB and found it extremely smooth but a little too mild for me. The JAWS or the OC are pretty close to what i hear in terms of efficiency with the OC a touch more smooth than the JAWS (just a touch). I dont have a OC but have the JAWS and absolutely love it.

You decision will really depend on your hair type. I have lots (and lots) of dark coarse hair and need an efficient razor to get to my daily requirement of achieving BBS. A mild razor just doesnt take me there. I also have a 6C and mainly use plate 6. The JAWS is so much more efficient than plate 6 and quite smooth and comfy when paired with my favorite blade, the polsilver.

If you dont have that much hair to shave of you probably better of with the SB, if you have an abundance as i do the JAWS or OC is the one.

Now you've got me thinking... Just when I was sure I wanted a razor with a safety bar... Now back to indecision!

I need to read up the Jaws. I will say that one thing I liked with the Rockwell S6 was the cruise control aspect. Hard to mess up badly and less need to worry about perfect prep and technique.

Thanks @StratMan - @dangerman My hair type is fast growing and wiry but not dark or coarse. I could shave twice a day but do not have a shadow by lunchtime.
After experimenting with the more aggressive razors I have settled on the GC .84-P as the baseline all others will be measured against (replaced the 39C)
Variety being the spice of life and all that, will be trying different razor/blade combos in R41, JAWS, and newly acquired FATIP Piccolo for many months to come.
Truly YMMV because I was not impressed by Rockwell 6S loved by 95% of the owners, tempted by Karve D Plate but worried it may go the same way as 6S
Really happy with GC SB and have not read any bad reviews but there are a few members who moved them on. Will be tempted by @Errol suggestion in future.
It may also depend on how sensitive your skin is. I got over the raw feeling of removing a few too many layers of skin even though no weepers and the aftershave splash intensified by aggressive razors.
The other thing to note I am not a big fan of OC and prefer SB.

Thanks you @StratMan for your insightful and thoughtful reply. I know the YMMV thing gets said a lot but it's important to remember. I'm not sure my stubble is as tough as yours, and one person's perfect soap or razor can be a bit ordinary to someone else. I'm very much up in the air still but this gives me a lot to mull over.

Next consideration is which handle to go with...

I didn't really take to the 6S. As much as I tried to like it ... I never found a blade/head combination that worked as well as the Timeless. The Timeless Bronze has a similar design but just tends to cut closer, smoother without bleeders or weepers.

To that end, I think my 6S may still be on the buy & sell section. If I can still find it... PM me if you're interested in getting a barely used one locally.

Thanks you @StratMan for your insightful and thoughtful reply. I know the YMMV thing gets said a lot but it's important to remember. I'm not sure my stubble is as tough as yours, and one person's perfect soap or razor can be a bit ordinary to someone else. I'm very much up in the air still but this gives me a lot to mull over.

Next consideration is which handle to go with...

YMMV is a thing for sure, you can only do your best to read up as much as you can and decide what is right for you.

In regards to a handle, if you go a game changer (any iteration), i recommend their barberpole handle which weighs in at 74 g. To me this is a perfect weight.

The 6C handle you have weighs 57 g so you have something to go by for comparision.

Apart from that i cant offer much advice regarding handles, i tend to go for what the manufacturer provides with the razor except for when they are too light eg DE89 or R41 (35-40g) then i mix n match with whatever i got.

good luck!!

Note that ATT, Blackland, Timeless and Rockwell all offer 30 day money back deals.
You will be out the postage from USA but Paypal offer to pay return postage if you buy through them.
ATT s1 slant is apparently an outstanding razor and you do not need to use their handle

Note that ATT, Blackland, Timeless and Rockwell all offer 30 day money back deals.
You will be out the postage from USA but Paypal offer to pay return postage if you buy through them.
ATT s1 slant is apparently an outstanding razor and you do not need to use their handle
I have the ATT S2 and it is awesome.