A confession

Rabid Badger

2018 Charity Auction Winner
Having said that I wasn't going to buy the OneBlade Genesis I couldn't resist the 50% off. So I took the plunge.

It arrived yesterday and was very well packaged. However, they sent me the wrong razor. They sent the Gunmetal version instead of the silver version ($100 more expensive). I didn't want this one as I think that black razors just show soap scum too easily. I am angling for some sort of refund as I can't be bothered to send it back etc.

So I gave it a run this morning and here are my thoughts:

S.O.T.D.
OneBlade Genesis
Simpsons M6, best
D. R. Harris, Arlington

First impressions:
I found it to be a bit too heavy, compared to what I usually like, but it was in the okay zone. Fit and finish is very good. (7/10)

Maneuverability:
I found the head quite large and had to change the angle a few times to actually feel the blade. It dealt with the jawline well, but I struggled to get the hairs right below my nostrils. I had to change the angle of attack several times. I wasn't the biggest fan of the handle, but didn't dislike it at the same time. (5/10)

The shave:
I did two passes, the second pass mostly going against the grain. I wasn't that impressed after the first pass, there were still quite a few hairs poking out. HOWEVER, the second pass was a delight. I found I could go in all directions with zero irritation. After two passes (my normal amount) I am very, very close to BBS. (10/10)

Overall thoughts:
I think that it might take some time to get used to this razor. I would rate it as being mild, with little blade feel, but very, very efficient. If I am in a rush, this would be the razor that I would turn too.

I don't love the design, nor the handle; I didn't really notice the pivoting head much (but this may change with technique), but the shave was really, really good. Even if it did take a few more strokes in certain areas.

I definitely wouldn't pay full price for this razor, but I think that I will come to like it. From what I've read the blades seem to dull more quickly than D.E. blades, making the whole system more $$ overall. Only time will tell if I agree with this.

I will keep you posted on whether I am able to score some sort of refund and will post a S.O.T.D. pic with the Genesis now that I have confessed at the altar of wet shaving.

Overall 8.5/10