A STUPID QUESTION?

Can anyone please tell me if those gorgeous hexagonal handles on vintage Gem razors are interchangeable with Gillette Techs and other DE blade razors? I have Googled this without success so I'm assuming two things... 1. They are probably not interchangeable and 2. I was right... it's a bloody stupid question!

Can anyone please tell me if those gorgeous hexagonal handles on vintage Gem razors are interchangeable with Gillette Techs and other DE blade razors? I have Googled this without success so I'm assuming two things... 1. They are probably not interchangeable and 2. I was right... it's a bloody stupid question!
No x2
1. GEM hex handle is male thread and Gilletes are female
2. not a stupid question

No x2
1. GEM hex handle is male thread and Gilletes are female
2. not a stupid question

Thanks mate!!! I kinda thought that might be the case. There are a couple of Gems online at a reasonable price so I might get one anyway and see what I can turn out (pun intended) in the way of an adapter on the lathe. In the likely event that this doesn't work, I will still have a collectible. Thanks again!

Not a stupid question Answer is no. One - GEM has a male thread. Two - Most if not all DE's have a female thread on the handle.

If you are really keen you could get an adapter turned up [some have] or you could go to step two and get a real razor :) - a GEM. :D

Or I can wait for that Merkur 42C to turn up tomorrow or Monday! :p Thanks mate. I probably will buy a Gem, too!

If you are really keen you could get an adapter turned up [some have] or you could go to step two and get a real razor :) - a GEM. :D

Well, @bald as... don't ever say I don't take your advice!!! I bought a lovely old hexagon-handle Gem today at an antique shop in another town, It's in dirty but great condition. The plating is all intact and being a knife-maker I'll easily clean it up and polish it! The slanted head is a bit daunting for me, though. Never used one like that. Any hints on angle to face etc? Also, best blades? See what you've started?

Last edited:
Place the head flat against your cheek and then drop the handle so there is about a 2 mm gap between the back of the razor head and your cheek. Don't be tempted to use paint scraper blades they look the same but definately aren't. Best place for blades is Connaughts and their turnaround is about 2 weeks. There may be someone near you that can give you say 5 blades which will more than see you out til you get some from o/s.

An SE is not a DE. Obvious I know but come in from the sides under the nose not straight down. Little to no pressure and don't try to remove everything in one pass or you will suffer burn or irritation from pressing too hard. Sounds like you have acquired a 1912. They feel quite aggressive and you may find it a challenge to start with but they are actually more noise than aggression in my opinion.

All the best, they are a sensational shave and only a short step away from a straight :)

Steve

Place the head flat against your cheek and then drop the handle so there is about a 2 mm gap between the back of the razor head and your cheek. Don't be tempted to use paint scraper blades they look the same but definately aren't. Best place for blades is Connaughts and their turnaround is about 2 weeks. There may be someone near you that can give you say 5 blades which will more than see you out til you get some from o/s.

An SE is not a DE. Obvious I know but come in from the sides under the nose not straight down. Little to no pressure and don't try to remove everything in one pass or you will suffer burn or irritation from pressing too hard. Sounds like you have acquired a 1912. They feel quite aggressive and you may find it a challenge to start with but they are actually more noise than aggression in my opinion.

All the best, they are a sensational shave and only a short step away from a straight :)

Steve
I've had my GEM now for 7days using one blade & it is still powering on. I find that after 2 days my DE blades (Astra Greens) start to blunt noticeably. The resultant "staying power" or time my face retains the smoothness of the shave, as Steve states, is comparable to a straight, I.e. longer than a DE.

Last edited:

Steve

Thanks for all that, Steve! Appreciate it! Connaught is looking the goods for me... a little shaving treasure cave! Funny what's out there when you have no idea what you're doing! Hmmmmm... that doesn't make much sense! Yes, the Gem is a 1912 model. Thanks again.

I've had my GEM now for 7days using one blade & it is still powering on. I find that after 2 days my DE blades (Astra Greens) start to blunt noticeably. The resultant "staying power" or time my face retains the smoothness of the shave, as Steve states, is comparable to a straight, I.e. longer than a DE.

Thanks Dale! I have had the exact same experience with Astra Greens! I read all the glowing reports about them online and bought a hundred! Oh well, that's 200 shaves... 178 shaves to go! :p Got some Feathers on the way!