Absolute bargain GEM Jewel

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
E-bay bargain GEM Jewel. A pretty rare must have SE razor. Built like a tank. If only I was a collector! I've already got an ER Streamline so wasn't even considering bidding for it. The Yanks over at B&B would have snaffled that one up being a US of A built razor. Even without the leather strop it's worth twice that. In Australia too.

eBay Australia Item Bid History

@Mark: You can lead a horse to water.......

Yes I am failing as a collector of late.

Missing out on almost everything I bid on, not even bidding on this despite wise advice BECAUSE I DON'T COLLECT SEs, losing money hand over fist on den reductions, buying duds on eBay, damaging stuff further when trying to restore them.

Basically I'm thinking of shipping it all to CFM and pouring my money into the pokies or something where at least I expect to lose.

Yes I am failing as a collector of late.

Missing out on almost everything I bid on, not even bidding on this despite wise advice BECAUSE I DON'T COLLECT SEs, losing money hand over fist on den reductions, buying duds on eBay, damaging stuff further when trying to restore them.

Basically I'm thinking of shipping it all to CFM and pouring my money into the pokies or something where at least I expect to lose.

Gee another memeber of the Drubbing Happy Club :)
Look on the bright side - your new shiny toy should be ex-US today and in your mitts very soon (unless I mistake it for one of mine and send you the wrong one!).

Nah even I think I will be abel to tell the difference between a bright collectors item and a bunch of 5.00 cheapies. (Just dont try to restore it. :) and one more to see if it helps :)

......Look on the bright side - your new shiny toy should be ex-US today and in your mitts very soon (unless I mistake it for one of mine and send you the wrong one!)......

Sounds like you've gone in to business with Mark. Or are you using your poor son's letterbox for CONUS only sales.

Sounds like you've gone in to business with Mark. Or are you using your poor son's letterbox for CONUS only sales.

Poor son my ass he is about to start a three month run in a Shakesperan festival at $700.00 per week. Apart from that Mark and I came to a mutually satisfactory arrangement (and yes it is using the letterbox).

Actually the seller (kestrelking) has withdrawn all his razors from e-bay. Looks like he wasn't too happy about what he was getting.

Gee another memeber of the Drubbing Happy Club :)

No smileys please

Look on the bright side -

There is a bright side?

your new shiny toy should be ex-US today and in your mitts very soon (unless I mistake it for one of mine and send you the wrong one!).

[Sigh] then I will need to find a case for it after given my spare one away

Nah even I think I will be abel to tell the difference between a bright collectors item and a bunch of 5.00 cheapies. (Just dont try to restore it. :) and one more to see if it helps :)

Actually it is uncased and aluminium so will look like all the others probably!

Stop saying that! It prevents me from enabling. You could have used it once and made a nice profit on this one. I'm trying to keep your hobby in the black.

Nice profit! Not me, I have the anti-midas touch!

I thought I could talk the vendor into shipping to Australia, it is not THAT hard but Glen came to the rescue - thanks mate!

No smileys please

There is a bright side?

[Sigh] then I will need to find a case for it after given my spare one away

Actually it is uncased and aluminium so will look like all the others probably!

Nice profit! Not me, I have the anti-midas touch!

I thought I could talk the vendor into shipping to Australia, it is not THAT hard but Glen came to the rescue - thanks mate!

Ok sad sack - take a bottle of single malt and go and sit amongst your treasures - light a candle so it saprkles off of them sip - whisky - repeat all while chanting "My mojo will return My mojo will return".
Eventually you will either feel better - fall unconcious or your wife will have you locked up.
Also as far as the rescue goes it really is a mutual back scratching exercise.
Have another couple for luck :) :)

Ok sad sack - take a bottle of single malt and go and sit amongst your treasures - light a candle so it saprkles off of them sip - whisky - repeat all while chanting "My mojo will return My mojo will return".
Eventually you will either feel better - fall unconcious or your wife will have you locked up.
Also as far as the rescue goes it really is a mutual back scratching exercise.
Have another couple for luck :) :)

He's running out of DEs to collect and out of boredom is just unsuccesfully trying to swap bits and pieces. I mean how would you feel if all you've got left in life is a quadruple plated double ring and a bottom dial fatboy. Ring? Bottom? Fatboy? All sounds a bit suss to me. The answer is to start collecting SEs. He will. He just doesn't know it yet. He's protesting just a tad too loudly.

He's running out of DEs to collect and out of boredom is just unsuccesfully trying to swap bits and pieces. I mean how would you feel if all you've got left in life is a quadruple plated double ring and a bottom dial fatboy. Ring? Bottom? Fatboy? All sounds a bit suss to me. The answer is to start collecting SEs. He will. He just doesn't know it yet. He's protesting just a tad too loudly.

Ok then heres any opportunity _ I have about 4 and another three on the way - you must have a few. We will scrub them up and flog them to him when he is in the infancy of SE knowledge and make some serious dollars (don't think he buys under $50.00).

As an aside, went looking for SE blades on Ebay and all seem to be industrial jobs. Connaughts the place you said?

Ok then heres any opportunity _ I have about 4 and another three on the way - you must have a few. We will scrub them up and flog them to him when he is in the infancy of SE knowledge and make some serious dollars (don't think he buys under $50.00).

As an aside, went looking for SE blades on Ebay and all seem to be industrial jobs. Connaughts the place you said?

Yep Connaughts

GEM Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades

Thanks - just ordered 100 for $22.60 seems good to me and I will have enough to last awhile

Compared to your average DE blade they're a bit expensive. I'm surprised you don't get more shaves out of them though. I can get 7 two pass shaves out of one blade. Ran one up to 10 once. Sure it's a bit more work and a bit more pressure but doable. One guy over at B&B did an entire month with one. Got a bit nasty towards the end but still.

I told Mark about a really nice gold plated french SE while I was waiting for privileges to speak in the forums, but he turned that one down too.

Would post the link, but I've lost it, and was only allowed 5 PMs at the time, so had to delete the link

Last edited:
I told Mark about a really nice gold plated french SE while I was waiting for privileges to speak in the forums, but he turned that one down too.

Would post the link, but I've lost it, and was only allowed 5 PMs at the time, so had to delete the link

What? You need privileges to post here? I can't recall going through that process. Poor ol' Mark. He appears a bit lost at the moment.

What? You need privileges to post here? I can't recall going through that process. Poor ol' Mark. He appears a bit lost at the moment.

I think its an anti-spam feature

You mean this French thing?

Like I said, looks lovely but, I don't know about them, how they work etc

Just finished a glass of Laphroaig Single Malt, not sure that it worked Glen.

Still can't find and great razors at cheap prices. Keep loosing auctions in Australia - bloody foreigners! I'm going to talk to my local MP about getting those overseas eBay bids turned back before the border.....

Oh, I'm not blaming you, just stirring the pot.

At the time I didn't realise it was just DE's you were collecting.