Absolute bargain GEM Jewel

You mean this French thing?

Like I said, looks lovely but, I don't know about them, how they work etc

Just finished a glass of Laphroaig Single Malt, not sure that it worked Glen.

Still can't find and great razors at cheap prices. Keep loosing auctions in Australia - bloody foreigners! I'm going to talk to my local MP about getting those overseas eBay bids turned back before the border.....

I think you would have made a profit on that one too Mark. It's just a very old (late 1800 to early 1900) early design SE razor in perfect nick with a couple of wedge blades. The first safety razor. Early SEs were basically slices of straight razor (hence the wedge shaped blades on early models) in a holder. Hence also the stropping devices you see. This one also has a stropping handle in to which you plonk the wedge shaped blade and run it over the various stones/stops/paddles. All this preceded King Gillette by at least 20 years. You really need to brush up on your Razor History 101.

There are lots of nice razors on French e-bay. Lots of yankee SE dudes would have paid lots for that.

Typical - I don't get the bargains and get stiffed on the stuff I do get :(

The anti-Midas touch at work!

Compared to your average DE blade they're a bit expensive. I'm surprised you don't get more shaves out of them though. I can get 7 two pass shaves out of one blade. Ran one up to 10 once. Sure it's a bit more work and a bit more pressure but doable. One guy over at B&B did an entire month with one. Got a bit nasty towards the end but still.

I think it is because I will push a DE to its limits but am alittle hesitant about pushing the SE too far (thats a lotta steel hanging out there). I only shave every 2nd or third day so there can be a bit to mow down on the first pass. I might push the SE i have in now and see if I can stretch further. You never know till you try I guess.