Advice on strop

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Just got this lovely strop but it was rolled when it was mailed. So the leather has stretched a little and lifts off the nylon backing.

Is it a cause for worry? Will it stretch out and be ok in time? Or should I return to the sender?

Here's the photos:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418204634.020653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418204647.254421.jpg

Mine did that but to a lesser extent. I would return if you can, but it might just need a bit of time to relax and straighten out.

Mine did that but to a lesser extent. I would return if you can, but it might just need a bit of time to relax and straighten out.
Thanks. I'll contact them directly and ask them about it.

Option A would be to contact them

Option B would be to get some leather conditioner or nearsfoot oil and rub it on with the ball of you Palm, and try rub the twists out straight

Actually I've found the strop with the webbing backing to be excellent at keeping the edge. I do 30 strokes and 60 on the leather.

When I got my tobs strop it was in a big enough box to be in a U shape, which had no problem- maybe they could do that next time

Last edited:
Back of the bathroom door for a while and practice upon knives that didn't matter aided in the condition of my Grandfathers one.

Thanks for the helpful advice y'all.

…any updates @filobiblic ?
Yeah. The Johnny GoodSir is a top bloke. It's a JGS Roo strop. Since they had a sale for Nov they sold out. He said that he normally wouldn't package it that way (ie roll it into a tube). So he offered me a full refund. I'm a bit hesitate to take him up since he gets nothing out of it. I've emailed him back and am waiting for his response.

Do you think I could stretch the backing by hanging it and weighing it down?

Honestly get the refund and buy something off him later :) straight shaving is hard enough without using naff gear. Spread the good word about him and buy more gear off him and he gets something for sure :)

Honestly get the refund and buy something off him later :)
Yeah. I guess you're right. I'll wait to hear back from him...
The strop is very good quality otherwise. Lovely leather, smooth and blemish free. A generous width and length. Solid stitching and D rings each end. He even included a hook to screw into a wall or cabinet.

Maybe just wait till back in stock and get one then :). But you really don't need any faulty gear. So much to learn in straights as it is.

Maybe just wait till back in stock and get one then :). But you really don't need any faulty gear. So much to learn in straights as it is.
Thanks. That's true. And it could be argued that after the razor itself, the strop is the next most important piece of equipment.

Do you think another option would be to simply slice the back webbing and have both 'hang free' at one end? I could stretch each independently that way...

If it's bent out if shape that much it will never function well. You'll be cursing it every time you shave.

A strop (after honing) is directly responsible for how your shave will feel. You want to think kindly of Mr Goodsir as your shaving. For me, if it didn't work I'd end up either having to buy a new one shortly down the track, or just not using it at all. Both of those longer term situations suggest the best option is a refund or replacement (when he gets more if need be)

My 2c

If it's bent out if shape that much it will never function well. You'll be cursing it every time you shave.

A strop (after honing) is directly responsible for how your shave will feel. You want to think kindly of Mr Goodsir as your shaving. For me, if it didn't work I'd end up either having to buy a new one shortly down the track, or just not using it at all. Both of those longer term situations suggest the best option is a refund or replacement (when he gets more if need be)

My 2c
Ok. Thanks. That's helpful.

So I've had the strop hanging for a week or so now. I've been regularly palm rubbing it. It seems to have regained its original shape. It's not twisted or wavy any longer.

From what I've read, if it was rolled up with leather side in, it would be game over. But temporarily rolling it leather side out is not a deal breaker.

So I think it's come good. Perhaps it's the way roo works. It's a lovely strop alright and will give it a go after another week or so.

Mr Johnny GoodSir has been fantastic. Kindly offering me a full refund straight away. He even threw in a soap into the order because I'd asked for a sample and he didn't have any!

Wow that's great if it's come good. Roo is the best

So what are you using the strop for filobiblic? Another closet straight user?

So what are you using the strop for filobiblic? Another closet straight user?
Not yet. Str8 in closet and me outside at the moment. Waiting for the new year and for life to settle before jumping into the str8 life.
I bought Drubs' Dovo a few months back and had Oz run his magic over it. I want to give it a continuous month to learn and cement the new skills. But since it's been busy with home life and a few new products around, I'm waiting until it settles before giving it a go.
That and sucking up the guts to go for it. [emoji6]