Advice on strops

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Wow, a bit quiet in this section of P&C...

For those of you who shave with a straight, for a beginner (or reflecting on your own start) which of these strops would you suggest:

Option A: Cheap
This strop ain't pretty but for US$15 (+ postage) it's worth learning on...
> Bottom line: Leather is leather and you'll slice your first strop

Option B: Functional
This strop will work just fine for A$50 (+ postage). Local company so faster ship time is nice.
> Bottom line: Is it really a step up in value for money?

Option C: Quality
This strop will caress your razor straight to sleep... For US$104 (+ postage) it's the most exy, but look - it's on sale!
> Bottom line: Niiiiiiiice. But don't cut me!

They all say "Get the best you can afford" but is it necessary if I'm likely to cut it to ribbons?
Will I cut my strop as a beginner?

Throw your thoughts my way please!

I got a rich man strop from The Whipped Dog. Not a luxury product but seemed like a good quality starter without going overboard. Still finding my straights a challenge so this strop had suited me fine for now.

Which ever one you pick, my suggestion is to first practice with a very dull razor or a butter knife. This way you'll have soon muscle memory to fall back on went you use the real thing.

I just use a dovo from mens biz. The cuts I gave it while learning I just sanded out. I used fine sandpaper and rubbed on the leather evenly. Now it works fine and is nice and smooth.

Thanks @possumbelly , @Johnus and @Ybbor for your comments.
I think I'll get a moderate cheapie. That way, I can practise and not be afraid to learn. I'll want to ramp it up and get a better strop in the long run. Seems like most shavers have a few strops - just like everything else in shaving!

Actually, don't discount Kangaroo.
I've heard good things about it and intend to experience that first hand one day.

Actually, don't discount Kangaroo.
I've heard good things about it and intend to experience that first hand one day.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've only seen a kangaroo strop on Straight Razor Designs in US. Haven't seen one in Oz but assume there should be plenty around. Heard they are thin with a light draw.

On the kangaroo strop, I believe that I bought one from a forum member here about a year ago. Very nicely made, yes, it is thin and has a light draw.
Worth adding to a collection.

On the kangaroo strop, I believe that I bought one from a forum member here about a year ago. Very nicely made, yes, it is thin and has a light draw.
Worth adding to a collection.
Thanks Johnus.
I ended up buying an 'entry level' strop. I'm going to cut my teeth on it and really learn Stropping well.
After I have much more experience of straight shaving under my belt, I'll be in a better place to try a few more quality strops. I'll also know what to look for and what i might like.