Advice Requested - Beard Care

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
G'day all.

My youngest lad, as seems to be the current trend with his generation, has grown a beard. It is of short-medium length, and he uttered the rare words yesterday - "Dad - can you give me some advice on beard grooming products?" He's got the trimming/shaving side covered - he's more asking about washing/conditioning and then product to use once it's dry.

On this subject, as Sargent Schulz said "I know nothink!"

Any thoughts, guys?

Ditto - sorry.

Never have, never will...

Mensbiz and other seem to sell all manner of beard care stuff these days. I wouldn't have a clue.

Metrosexuality has gone so far, it's become ironic how much fuss and care young men are taking to look unkempt. I've always managed that without any products whatsoever.

I'm not much of a beard person but have done it before purely out of sheer laziness and being in a funk during a stage of my life but at least he is on the right track in regards to beard care as I wasn't so diligent which resulted in the most horrendous trauma my face has been put through apart from birth. :D
I don't know much about the subject and perhaps someone else can tune in with a better answer but I did try out a Proraso beard oil once and it seemed to do the job without leaving me with a greasy feeling on the face.

Given what I have experienced I would highly recommend washing the beard thoroughly daily, comb and follow it up with some beard oil as beard irritation is like razor burn only x10 worse not to mention dandruff (yes DANDRUFF!) which is much more horrible and painful than what you would experience on the scalp.
By all means use a good regular shampoo and conditioner but in regards to a leave in conditioner then the beard oil is an absolute must in all of this, it will be your primary ingredient as it reinforces and conditions the hair and most importantly the skin whilst also keeping it neat.
I want to add that if the beard becomes extremely long then be gentle with it, don't play with it or be rough when it is being washed as you could pluck hairs which will result in irritations, infections and dandruff.

I hope someone else is able to help given my knowledge is fairly limited and I hope I didn't frighten anyone as I am sure it's not all bad but it's not something I ever want to personally experience again.

As long as he keeps it short/medium he should be fine with less maintenance.

I used to have a beard - until every one started to grow one and I decided it is time to be clean shaven :D :D :D

I would start with the same care/products he uses for his scalp hair.

If he can manage to get through the "itchy phase" (~between 5 days and 2-3 weeks) his skin will have adapted and hopefully he then can treat it like long hair: thorough wash (at least twice shampoo + moisturising product) every 5-7 days

Else: he will have to wash (once shampoo + moisturising product) at least every 2-3 days - some have to do it even every day.

In my experience: the less you (can) do - the better. There are myths on the interweb, that with long hair if you manage for ~3-5 weeks, you can wash it with just water. I have had long hair for a couple of decades now - never managed to get through such a long period without washing...

As for products: it really depends on his skin type. I used the same products as with my scalp hair - but more due to laziness. He will have to experiment...

Tell him the real cool people now shave ;)