aerosol shaving creams

David7307

I hope this is not going to get me tossed out of the forum
but does any one use aerosol shaving creams like Gillette or Palmolive
Every one keeps talking about all the soaps thy have bought, never finished or tossed out, done that my self,but i only ever tossed out one can of shaving cream ,and that was made in china, came out in a rash

Never used them.

From what I understand though they are generally considered to be too 'foamy' to provide a decent lather.

Tried them in the long and distant past before I got into wet shaving, along with the gels too.

I think most here recognise that (most) soaps or creams that you have lathered yourself offer a lot better glide, slickness, and cushion than any goo in a can can.

before wet shaving that was all I knew, but since getting on board with the soaps and creams I lather myself i couldn't go back. I wish i would have realised a long time ago and now I try to convert my mates to try them even if they use cartridge type razors a good quality soap or cream will still provide a better shave

Also the aerosol dries out the skin iirc.

I don't mind the shave gels from supermarkets. They're convenient and they're good enough to give me one pass if I'd rather sleep in than spend the extra time going all the way.

I don't mind the shave gels from supermarkets. They're convenient and they're good enough to give me one pass if I'd rather sleep in than spend the extra time going all the way.

"Going all the way" these days obviously has a different meaning to what it did in my younger days... and is obviously nowhere near as exciting or satisfying!

"Going all the way" these days obviously has a different meaning to what it did in my younger days... and is obviously nowhere near as exciting or satisfying!

@littleaussiebleeder you're still currently using Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream.......right ? and nothing else while you're still in nicks and cuts on the other hand looks like you need more tissues to patch up your face :p:D:rolleyes:

@David7307 the real advantage of a "real" soap is you are actually forced to prepare for the shave more completely. It does take a few times to master the shave brush and soap but not long as it really isn't rocket science. A good soap will give you glide and cushion to help you learn the correct angle and pressure to apply, the soap will also maintain consistency throughout the pass. If you don't relate well to the brush and soap ritual [some certainly do get that involved - ref. lather shots :) ] there are gateway drugs/creams to ease the impatience.

I use on occasions an Indian cream - Godrej - with a synthetic brush and it is as good as anything else.

If I'm feeling ultra lazy (most days), I can load and lather well enough for a two pass shave in less than a minute.

@littleaussiebleeder you're still currently using Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream.......right ? and nothing else while you're still in nicks and cuts on the other hand looks like you need more tissues to patch up your face :p:D:rolleyes:

My rather ordinary shaving preparations may seem neanderthal to you metrosexuals out there... but compared to the shaving conditions I encountered in my days in the Army, they are luxurious IMHO! :love: I recently invested in a couple of "Nice Cool" brand alum blocks from India. :barefoot: Using them is for me a rather sensual experience! :rolleyes: Well... until a find a hidden nick! :eek: Fortunately, since I stopped using a certain brand of blades and a certain well thought of razor, nicks are not all that common or serious. :confused: Weepers are quite rare. And I'm still using the Nivea in unison with a shaving soap made in Newcastle NSW (brand name lost when wrapper was discarded.) Anyway, tough blokes like me don't actually shave... we use a hammer to bash those bloody whiskers in deep and bite them off inside! :cool:

Last edited: