After-shave: Natural Oils

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
HUGE thanks to @razorguy for bestowing this little gem of old world wisdom, namely the use of natural oils as a part of a healthy post shave routine. I thought it of benefit to start a thread to discuss the use, properties and recommendation associated with natural oils. Be especially keen to hear more from our Italian Oil Godfather as well as other recent converts including @alfredus , @Nick the Knife , etc.

Received wisdom of candidate oils so far include:
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
  • Argan Oil

I just bought some Almond Oil and so will report back on it.

So what do you use, how are you finding it, what's your routine, etc. Let's learn some more of the good old ways, the good old way (i.e., talking about it....albeit virtually).

I am very glad to read your appreciation for my humble tip about using natural oils as a post shave product. Like I said, this is something my grandfather taught me and I am using it since the day I started shaving. To me, this is a great way to treat your skin right as well as providing a good way to sooth irritations. Thank you to @alfredus, @Nick the Knife and @stillhunter for having tried it.
Like I said in other posts, I used many natural oils as post shave and, so far, the best ones in my opinion are Olive Oil (the king, including in cooking), Argan Oil, Hazelnut Oil and Almond Oil.
The best results are obtained with Olive Oil (it is well known ancient Greeks and Romans used this oil as a remedy for skin burns and irritations, as well as for strengthening and soothing muscles) which is slower to be absorbed but, in my opinion, leaves a smoother skin.
Argan oil is absorbed quicker and does a very good job, although I tend to prefer Olive Oil better. Last but not the least, olive oil is rich in tocopherols - a very good skin food - and it is also rich in antioxidants.

Thank you so much @razorguy .

Can you speak to us a little of the post-shave application routine. For example, would the usual routine be:
  • shave
  • cold face wash
  • bracer/lotion/witch hazel
  • oil
Does this sound right? Any other options or stages in-between?

I have also heard folks using the same oils for pre-shave also. Any comments on this routine my friend?

Thank you so much @razorguy

You are welcome.

Can you speak to us a little of the post-shave application routine. For example, would the usual routine be:
  • shave
  • cold face wash
  • bracer/lotion/witch hazel
  • oil
Does this sound right? Any other options or stages in-between?

I have also heard folks using the same oils for pre-shave also. Any comments on this routine my friend?

I guess it is also a matter of personal preference, like to say "you mileage may vary". As for me, it is now a very long time I prefer using cold water instead of hot water because I believe it is a better skin toner and keeps the skin "tighter" and not sloppy.
As for pre shave, I do not like using oils and they usually interacts with soap and, in case it does not have impeccable quality, this usually affects lather. As a pre shave, I prefer using products useful for cleaning the skin, such as a distilled rose water or neutral soap.
As for my post shave routine, I usually rinse my face with generous cold water, sometimes I also rub an ice cube on the skin and also this works wonders.
I therefore apply olive oil before using the aftershave, which, in my case contains alcohol. I let the oil to stay in my face for about five minutes, a time in which it is absorbed by the skin. I usually use this time to clean all the shaving stuff I used. After that, I apply a generous splash of aftershave and, because of alcohol, it completely removes any excess of oil leaving a smooth skin. As a matter of fact, oil also protects your skin from the burning effects of alcohol.
One more tip: for those who may find the smell of olive oil (or any other oil) not so pleasing, you can add very few drops of your favorite essential oil, therefore changing its fragrance. This is something I do not usually do as I absolutely love the smell of olive oil.

Leaves the Marco method in its dust it seems .....

Of course!!! Even though this makes complete sense I would not have stumbled upon this routine in a decade under my own steam! Yep, no surprise to the folks who know me on here...I is about as thick as a whale burger.

I can't wait to try this new routine.
Grazie mille il mio amico!

What do folks reckon Monoi oil would be like ?

What's the drill again?
A few drops on one hand. Wet the other hand. Rub together. Rub in face.

That it?

Depends if you're left or right handed ?

Leaves the Marco method in its dust it seems .....

I did not mean to deny any other method, of course. This is what I like and works with my skin. Other methods certainly are very good if you are happy with them. ;)

I can't wait to try this new routine.
Grazie mille il mio amico!

You are welcome! And, please, let me what you think about it or if you would change something.

What do folks reckon Monoi oil would be like ?

Unfortunately I have never used it, so I don't know. There are however oils I do not like as a post shave, such as Jojoba oil which is too thick and too slow to absorb.

Unfortunately I have never used it, so I don't know. There are however oils I do not like as a post shave, such as Jojoba oil which is too thick and too slow to absorb.
"Monoï oil is an infused perfume-oil made from soaking the petals of Tahitian gardenias (best known as Tiaré flowers) in coconut oil." from wikipedia

I wonder how this approach would go for those with oily skin. Any experiences folks?

"Monoï oil is an infused perfume-oil made from soaking the petals of Tahitian gardenias (best known as Tiaré flowers) in coconut oil." from wikipedia
FWIW I can advise that from reading up on making soap soon that using pure coconut oil is going to be too much - it's very drying on skin.

I wonder how this approach would go for those with oily skin. Any experiences folks?
Mate I got oily skin - quite oily and olive actually. Today's post-shave face feel was extraordinary, some of the best yet....and that was 'just' with Argan Oil.

It seems counter-intuitive... Wouldn't putting oil on your face cause things like pimples/acne?

Mate I got oily skin - quite oily and olive actually. Today's post-shave face feel was extraordinary, some of the best yet....and that was 'just' with Argan Oil.

And your face didn't end up a shiny, reflective beacon by the end of the day? I just wonder if the build-up might be too much over the course of the day.