Alcohol free aftershave

thanks @neongas

I am personally more fragrance focussed so always go for splashes first. but @CraigE reckons same scent strengths in both.. maybe its time for one of each?? but before I decide I need to ask does the balm leave your skin feeling oily at all? or is it all absorbed?

Ok, I seem to have upset someone.

It has been put to me that my aftershave and balms are a contradiction to my skin friendly soap.

The use of Optiphen in the balm is a must, as without a preservative it will spoil and not last. I have read that Optithen in small dosages is safe to use on most skin types and is used in most cosmetics on the market. Not only that, I personally tested the balm for a couple of months and found it to not be a problem with my own sensitive skin.

As for the aftershave, the use of the emulsifier was pertinent to creating a lasting scent and well balanced product, I have also been testing the aftershave over the last week and have found it to be ok with my skin.

I am now second guessing my intentions.

Thoughts??? Anyone???

Just seen your order come through. You will have to let me know what you think.
The balm should be here any day now, so I will send both once it gets here.

yeah no hurry, send them both together whenever the balm comes in no worries.. will def let you know what i think, not usually a big fan of balms but looking forward to both

It has been put to me that my aftershave and balms are a contradiction to my skin friendly soap.

The use of Optiphen in the balm is a must, as without a preservative it will spoil and not last. I have read that Optithen in small dosages is safe to use on most skin types and is used in most cosmetics on the market. Not only that, I personally tested the balm for a couple of months and found it to not be a problem with my own sensitive skin.

As for the aftershave, the use of the emulsifier was pertinent to creating a lasting scent and well balanced product, I have also been testing the aftershave over the last week and have found it to be ok with my skin.

Thoughts??? Anyone???
I dont see an issue with it and if I were you I wouldn’t worry about it either, you’ve done the best you can with what’s available to make a good product have you not?
The same people will complain when it spoils or the scent lasts 5 min.
You’ve done what you can to avoid the most nasty and substituted for the best most economical and safe ingredients for your company and it’s end user, at this rate just by doing that you’ve done better than majority of the cosmetic companies out there

Thoughts??? Anyone???

I personally think your doing a great job, love your soaps and looking forward to the splash/balms. The fact you have tried to use all safe ingredients reassures me on the quality of the product, but if these other products are needed then so be it. Unfortunately there are people in life that will complain about anything and you cant help that. At the end of the day no one is forcing them to buy the balm or splash and they can happily keep buying the soap, otherwise who cares?

I am sure the majority will be with you on this

Thoughts??? Anyone???
As someone in the hair and skincare industry, I know it is extremely difficult to cater for every person’s possible skin type and to be fair, other than water I don’t know of any natural or man made substance that is 100% non-allergenic to 100% of people.

The stupid thing is that the people who fervently swear by “natural” products don’t even realise that these products use chemically synthesised ingredients anyway which are “nature identical”.

Back to your dilemma, other common preservatives are Potassium Sorbate or Sodium Benzoate, both naturally occurring in foods which you can argue should be skin safe. But as I said, nothing truly is.

As someone in the hair and skincare industry, I know it is extremely difficult to cater for every person’s possible skin type and to be fair, other than water I don’t know of any natural or man made substance that is 100% non-allergenic to 100% of people.

The stupid thing is that the people who fervently swear by “natural” products don’t even realise that these products use chemically synthesised ingredients anyway which are “nature identical”.

Back to your dilemma, other common preservatives are Potassium Sorbate or Sodium Benzoate, both naturally occurring in foods which you can argue should be skin safe. But as I said, nothing truly is.
Yes both those options are available, how ever as you probably know the Potassium Sorbate needs to be used alongside another emulsifier. Also despite meeting requirements it still could be contaminated with lead, mercury or possibly arsenic.
Both also have been known to cause skin irritation when used in cosmetics.

Also Polysorbate (which is what I used) is derived from Natural Vegetables. And classed as safe to use in cosmetics.

Other than that, there is the main point of the argument in the message I received, which is the Optiphen in the balm.
It is used in small amounts which are considered safe for cosmetic purposes. Without it the balm would spoil.

I am glad people in here are understanding.

@neongas you are more versed in this topic than I am. But from what I have read, what you have stated makes sense to me.

As it were, Nivea's Sensitive After Shave Balm has phenoxyethanol (the actual preservative in Optiphen) in it. Go figure.

In any event, it is pretty much unavoidable to have preservatives in anything that has a decent moisture content. Water is life; even to bacteria and mold.

A lot of times it boils down to selective semantics; even though an ingredient is classed as "safe for use in cosmetics", some people do not take that to be "skin friendly", and you could argue with them till the cows come home and not change their mind. If those sort of people ever read the Safety Data Sheets of very ingredient in their shampoo bottle, you'd imagine they'd either shave their head completely or walk around smelling pretty ripe.

I don't envy your situation but good luck with dealing with that person. Don't second guess yourself; I'm sure you did not come to making any decision in your products lightly without the research and testing.

Sorry @CraigE, for my lack of knowledge in this thread, is it possible to also have an alcohol splash as an option? Will also solve any issues in regards to a preservative.
Yes it is possible, at this stage though not at all feasible. It may be something I can look at in the future how ever. To make one with alcohol I would need to use a formula with up to 30% alcohol volume. Technically it would not be allowed to go in the post. When I first enquired about it with Australia Post they said no way.