All these new SEs, why?

thisISjoel

And which one is the cheapest/best value?

Why are they so wide? Seems like all the challenges of the long blade of a straight without the precision.

Thoughts?

Why so many new SE's?
It's the latest trend I guess... Slants and SE's are the latest "in" thing...

You should give links to the ones you are referring to as many probably don't get the context.

I'm assuming you are referring to:
ATT Single Edge (with Bamboo handle)
The Colonial
iKon SE
Supply Provision razor
Barbados/Turkish razor company SE
Razorock SE?!?

And which one is the cheapest/best value?
Not sure. I think the Colonial is all Aluminium like the Standard razor and sells for US$30 I think.

Why are they so wide? Seems like all the challenges of the long blade of a straight without the precision.
There are 3 kinds of single edge blades:
1. Injector blades
2. GEM blades
3. Feather/Kai style
(4. Snapped half of a DE blade)

In terms of width, going from wide to widest:
DE width - Snapped DE blade
DE width - GEM style
A little Wider than DE - injector blades
Very wide - Feather style

The Feather blade style are the widest (approx 1 & 1/2 of a DE) and it is these that are being used in a lot of the modern razors. Examples: Cobra, Mongoose, ATT SE (& iKon?).

The Feather blades were designed for the Feather "disposable straight" (aka Shavette) razors. They have been commandeered and put to use in a safety razor but weren't originally intended to be used this way. Hence the very wide heads to fit the longer blade.

Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of the wider Feather style SE's. It's a hack job and they are best used for the Feather disposable straights they have been stolen from. I can see the reason for stealing them- Feather make incredibly sharp blades that last.

Injectors are generally too mild but I find them handy and simple to use. They are a no brain razor and would be simple for someone to move from a cartridge razor into using a traditional safety razor.

The older SE's that use a GEM blade are amazingly efficient. They are a straight with a handle and require good technique with a deft hand. They mow down long growth in an instant. Worthwhile to use every now and then for me.

Snapped DE's are too much effort. Sure, you can buy them pre-snapped but they are just a little more dangerous in handling. Best used as a DE blade in a DE razor.

Now let's get this debate happening people!!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Cheers @filobiblic those are exactly what I was referring to. Seems like every man and his dog is putting out a single edge and I was curious as to why/how they might be any better than a DE. Cheers

On the face of it. An SE is identical to a DE, just one one edge and so no different in the shaving. That statement however does not take into account geometry. A DE must allow efficient use of both edges where as the SE handle & blade position can be optimised for one edge and so gives the designer more freedom. A DE gives some cost saving (important back in the day) per blade giving two edges for the same blade blank which would have lead to their popularity. Today those costs are no longer an issue so the SE is having a resurgence as designers and marketers look for something new to sell to the masses who are increasingly eager to part with their money.

On the face of it. An SE is identical to a DE, just one one edge and so no different in the shaving.

No, actually they are different. And they are different amongst the types of SE blades too...

The standard GEM blades are more rigid than DE blades- perhaps thicker too. They last longer too. So they shave differently.

Feather series SE blades are wider (as per the initial discussion of this thread). They shave differently too.

It's like saying all straight razors are the same. No, they are not. Differences in the grind result in differences in the shave.

... the SE is having a resurgence as designers and marketers look for something new to sell to the masses who are increasingly eager to part with their money.

Yes. There is truth to this statement.

No, actually they are different. And they are different amongst the types of SE blades too...

The standard GEM blades are more rigid than DE blades- perhaps thicker too. They last longer too. So they shave differently.

Feather series SE blades are wider (as per the initial discussion of this thread). They shave differently too.

It's like saying all straight razors are the same. No, they are not. Differences in the grind result in differences in the shave.

Yes, there CAN be differences, but there is no reason there has to be. No reason a DE cannot be longer, more rigid, thicker or any other factor you mention in regards to SE's.

Yes, there CAN be differences, but there is no reason there has to be. No reason a DE cannot be longer, more rigid, thicker or any other factor you mention in regards to SE's.

Well the 'horse has bolted' and there ARE differences between them. So designers -as you say- are exploiting those differences and creating new razors.

SE blades were -in some ways- superseded by DE blades but then went in a direction of their own. They make sense on one level -just like a straight has a single edge and not two.

Another question to consider is next year at this time which one's will still be in production?. On the other hand that should not deter anyone from taking the plunge if one tickles your fancy. Heck If it works for you and is discontinued, who cares. Many still regret not pulling the trigger on a Weber.

So after receiving the hawk last week I finally got my blades today (and my P&B Sanskrit and the fat) so I was able to shave with the bank at last!

I went with the feather pro guard for the first shave as I haven't shaved with an SE before and I was cautious of tearing myself up. Well, what can I say? Two passes with minimal clean up, BBS just about everywhere (except a couple of spots on my neck). A really smooth and effortless, close shave.

The soap was fantastic too! Shiniest lather I've ever been able to produce, so slick! Just an awesome, awesome shave :D

The strongest attribute of an SE blade (Feather or Kai) for me is the rigidity of the thicker blade. This reduces blade chatter. DE razors like the slant use torque to increase rigidity, while DE razors like the Wolfman are designed to hold the blade very firmly especially near the cutting edge. If you're not sure what I mean try shaving without fully tightening your razor, but be warned its likely to hurt. Conversely try a shim for a more rigid feel

Its a similar phenomenon with straights too. A thicker grind is less flexible and more forgiving than a hollow grind.

The SE blades also seem to hold their edge longer than a DE, which somewhat offsets their higher investment.

All of this doesn't mean a superior shave with an SE. Much of the current popularity is based solely on new offerings to the market. Greg from iKon commented recently they'd done almost all they could with a DE, so he was now investigating SEs. I think consumers have a similar viewpoint...