Alum alternative?

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/85190/dermal-therapy-crystal-deodorant-stick-120g

Yay or nay? Should I give it a try anyway? I just dropped my alum block and well I think I'll be finding shards weeks from now.

Cheers
Daniel
I recall using that last year as a deodorant and found it resembled a block of alum but never thought to use it on the face.... :unsure: It was quite useless as the bottom broke off so it no longer twisted. :(

I see similar items for sale that can be used on the face so might be worth a try?

https://shavenation.com/products/shave-nation-100-natural-wide-stick-deodorant-stone

I get my alum from Bunnings in 2kg bags (they sell it as flocculant in the pool section). Actually just one bag will last for yonks, and only costs $15. I make up a saturated solution of it, which I keep in an old T.N. Dickinson witchhazel bottle.

That's it. Dump ~200g in 250mL cold water, give it a good stir and leave it for a while. Most of it will go into solution quite readily, and chuck out any solids left behind.

I find it more convenient to apply than the solid stuff.
Does it actually say, what is in there? Aluminium Sulphate can be a LOT of things...

Does it actually say, what is in there? Aluminium Sulphate can be a LOT of things...
The MSDS says potassium aluminium sulphate. It's a mineral. They probably dig it out of exactly the same hole in the ground as the stuff you pay $30 for 100g, which is no more likely to be 100% pure. It also comes naturally as other forms of double sulphate of that cation, typically Na or NH4 instead of Ka, but the astringent property is the same.

If you're worried, it's not that hard to purify, but it would certainly be a waste of effort.

Last edited:
By way of clarification, when I mentioned the solids left behind, I was referring to the excess nAl(SO4)2. If you warm up the water even slightly, it'll dissolve a heap more, but as it cools, it'll precipitate out, and won't come out of the bottle.

The MSDS says potassium aluminium sulphate. It's a mineral. They probably dig it out of exactly the same hole in the ground as the stuff you pay $30 for 100g, which is no more likely to be 100% pure. It also comes naturally as other forms of double sulphate of that cation, typically Na or NH4 instead of Ka, but the astringent property is the same.

If you're worried, it's not that hard to purify, but it would certainly be a waste of effort.
By way of clarification, when I mentioned the solids left behind, I was referring to the excess nAl(SO4)2. If you warm up the water even slightly, it'll dissolve a heap more, but as it cools, it'll precipitate out, and won't come out of the bottle.
Seems like you understand the chemistry so all good ;)

Wouldn't witch hazel do the same thing
Sort of, yes. But the feel is a bit different. I think alum is a bit more effective in dealing with razor burn or bumps and definitely with weepers/nicks, but you have to rinse it off after say 5-10 minutes, otherwise the residue will drive you mad.

Witch hazel is great for sunburn, though...

Sort of, yes. But the feel is a bit different. I think alum is a bit more effective in dealing with razor burn or bumps and definitely with weepers/nicks, but you have to rinse it off after say 5-10 minutes, otherwise the residue will drive you mad.

Witch hazel is great for sunburn, though...
I leave the alum on only while I rinse and dry my brush and razor and then rinse off my face with cold water. As you say if you leave it on to dry it drives you nuts with irritation.

I never quite got the point of using Alum other than the mild 'burn' and antiseptic effect. Although concur it's a reasonable feedback mechanism. Burn means an oopsie or too many passes/poor technique. So wasn't disappointed when I shattered the bar in the sink accidentally the other day.

I just use a Toner spray followed by a moisturiser.