Another newbie

Mitcon

Hi all,

Feels strange to say your a newbie to shaving when you have been doing it for 40+ years lol but here I am. For over 30 years I've been using an electric shaver and have just got into wet shaving with a safety razor, or should I say back into wet shaving as I did start out there once upon a time. I have very early memories of a safety razor but within a few months newer flasher disposable cartridge types and then within a decade I had gone electric and been there pretty much since.

I have all sorts of skin irritation problems, all men in my family have but I have finally found freedom of shaving irritation going back to a single blade wet shave. Has only been 4 shaves and already have things going smoothly. I bought a basic 3 piece razor as it seemed the most simple and I like timber and I found one with a wood handle. For a cheapie I expected issues and my first shave was no disappointment in that dept and I was left a bloody mess right across my throat lol, right where angle or grain of my beard changes to the opposing direction.

There was masses of blood from what looked like a horror scene but it seemed not cut but grazed, I may have had a rather aggressive angle and a bit too much pressure on my first shave in a difficult area. I gave it a couple of days, tried a different brand blade and wow, nice shave and the next 3 have been every bit as easy and bloodlessly smooth finishes lol. I'm a changed man, as much as I used to dread shaving I'm now looking forward to the next morning to have another go at it.

Welcome @Mitcon. A lot of well informed users willing to share experiences on the forum.
Don't be shy to ask questions, search threads, and share photos.
Here is a thread going at the moment on mild razors for sensitive skin.

Thanks all for the welcome and @Holiday for the link as well. I have a handful of different gels and soaps designed for sensitive skin though have mostly tried to stay herbal/natural with them. I also grabbed myself dozens of different brand/styles of blades so I could try all of them to see if some work better for my own skin issues. That thread will be very interesting to have a read, I've only tried 2 different blades so far but I was amazed at the difference, worlds apart. I have well over a 100 different blades to try, I feel like it's already become a madness lol.

Can't wait till the morn to lather up again, strange but I do find it enjoyable.

Welcome to P&C @Mitcon - great to have you here (y)(y)(y)

Seems like we got some new members here in Adelaide...maybe it is time for a meet-up...

This is what I've been using so far, eBay razor badger brush and so far I really like using the soap.

SStEJix.jpg

Howdy and ty for another welcome.

So far for something to add with the soaps/lubes as above I like the soap so far. I also plan on using some goats milk soap, as it doesn't seem to irritate my skin and is normally fairly "slick" though no idea how easy it'll lather. The King Of Shaves Gel was fine also and I'll use the rest of it, well I've only tried it once so far lol. I'm unsure on the Gillette Pure as I am also with the Super Sharp platinum blades as these were what I used on my first try and it was a real bloodbath lol, so I will revisit them but I'm in no rush at this point hehehe. Not sure if those blades are just bad, too sharp or my bad first attempt (certainly possible) or if it was the blade, cream and my lack of skill combined . Last 2 shaves were perfect, I can't think of a better word and they were with the Personna platinum blades and the BarberShoppe soap

Welcome @Mitcon another fellow Adelaidian here. Your story is all too familiar, happened to myself and read it so many times with others, basically a chore that was despised is now undertaken on a daily basis with a lot of satisfaction.

Be prepared to learn and acquire more products that will continue to enhance your experience and allow for a learning curve regarding technique. Your technique will improve over time with things like lather quality, shave angle and pressure. Once these are finely tuned your shaving experience will be amazing.

Feel free to ask questions and good luck on your journey

Cheers and ty all 3.

I am already thinking about maybe toying with making some of my own shavers, turning some nice burl handles and brushes, maybe even some turned scuttles/bowls. But baby steps first, but that is where my mind is heading down the track.

This is what I've been using so far, eBay razor badger brush and so far I really like using the soap.

SStEJix.jpg
Welcome @Mitcon. I must say I haven't seen these 'Super-Sharp Platinum' blades before. When you say you tried two different blades and they were worlds apart, I'm guessing the personna blue blades gave a good shave and the Super-Sharp blades gave you a horrible shave. Maybe it was due to the 'Platinum Sputtered Edges"? o_O

Yes, it was the SuperSharp blades that gave me problems. Not a single issue with the Personna ones, but I will revisit the SuperSharps once I have more experience to make sure it wasn't just my noobself cutting myself up lol. I don't know any brands from each other at this early stage, it may be they are ok and just not suitable for my face.