Any love for Merkur Futur ?

I personally have a love - hate relationship with this lovely piece of German engineered steel.

I haven't used mine for about 6 months.

Any love ?

Yes, here - using it tomorrow. I only own two razors and the Futur is one of them (well, 3 if your count the imminently FS Progress, which I've barely used).

It's not a razor I thought I'd like, but a mate at work, who I got into this, lent me his. It's quite big and weighty, but I think it hides that well with good balance.

Unlike the Progress, which I find aggressive and harsh, this is very user friendly for me. The weight gets more grunt from Reds, and somehow smoothes out the Astra which are often a bit sharp.

I don't like the blade change - it simply doesn't work that well. No matter how carefully I pop the head, blades can jump off. That's the only complaint for me.

I love the form of the Futur, but it seems to be very much a style-over-substance type thing in my mind. Have not had the chance to use one, but they are relatively expensive and they have had a few problems.

The Progress is another Merkur razor which has quality control issues. The main issue is alignment and even blade exposure on each side. I prefer a slightly more agressive razors so it still is one I want to try.

I'm more likely to try and buy a Mergress. This is a Progress which is modified by B&B member Mer, gives a metal adjustment knob instead of the plastic one that comes standard, and he also adjusts each razor so it is perfectly in alignment. When he releases a batch, they sell out quickly. You can only buy them through Lee's Razors in the States and they are literally gone in an hour each time a batch is released.

You can also find them secondhand around some of the other forums.

I love the form of the Futur, but it seems to be very much a style-over-substance type thing in my mind. Have not had the chance to use one, but they are relatively expensive and they have had a few problems.

Far less than the Progress. The only complaint I read about is the blade changing. There was a few with plating issues, but this doesn't appear to be widespread. It's design is somewhat simpler than the Progress, so mechanically, there's less to go wrong.

The Progress is another Merkur razor which has quality control issues.

I'm more likely to try and buy a Mergress. This is a Progress which is modified by B&B member Mer, gives a metal adjustment knob instead of the plastic one that comes standard, and he also adjusts each razor so it is perfectly in alignment. When he releases a batch, they sell out quickly. You can only buy them through Lee's Razors in the States and they are literally gone in an hour each time a batch is released.

These are notorious for alignment problems, and it's probably better known because they sell a lot more of these than the Futur. Mine was a shocker. Mer does nice work, but it's just a fancy knob and a tweak, he can't perform miracles. I emailed him pics of mine and he said it was a dud, couldn't fix it. I emailed Merkur, sent it to them and they did.

Still, a far more aggressive razor than the Futur for me - I can't get it off 1.

Far less than the Progress. The only complaint I read about is the blade changing. There was a few with plating issues, but this doesn't appear to be widespread. It's design is somewhat simpler than the Progress, so mechanically, there's less to go wrong.
I have definitely read of uneven blade exposure on the Futurs, and even the 2000's which are more expensive again. I know they also had some trouble about 12 months ago with the Futur Kit the did with Razor, Stand, Brush & stand, all in matching polished or matte. The brushes were losing losing stupid amounts of hair. Many were replaced free of charge.

The blade changing issue on the Futur is widely known and many have blasted them for making it so hard. I guess you just need to practice doing it a bit. Grab an old blade, grind it blunt on one of your wife's old emery boards, and keep doing it until you have it down pat.

These are notorious for alignment problems, and it's probably better known because they sell a lot more of these than the Futur. Mine was a shocker. Mer does nice work, but it's just a fancy knob and a tweak, he can't perform miracles. I emailed him pics of mine and he said it was a dud, couldn't fix it. I emailed Merkur, sent it to them and they did.
I like to reward quality work, and Mer does it. For a bit more he can customise it further with coloured numbers and dots etc. Worth it in my opninion. The fact that you get a checked and/or adjusted razor known to be 'good' is also great piece of mind. I haven't gone to the Merkurs for the QA reasons.

The funny thing is that the Mergress should have been the razor that Merkur originally released. The plastic adjuster is simply stupid and looks out of place. I think the Mergress XL looks simply stunning. The price is a bit steep though, would rather buy some of the in-demand Gillettes instead.

Still, a far more aggressive razor than the Futur for me - I can't get it off 1.
This is what really makes me want one. When Fatboys and Slims are set on 9 and you feel like you want to keep spinning the adjuster around another time, it's time for a more aggressive razor. I also want a long-handled Slant (aka 'Sledgehammer') to have some fun with.

When Fatboys and Slims are set on 9 and you feel like you want to keep spinning the adjuster around another time, it's time for a more aggressive razor.

Or just load the FB or Slim with a Feather or S.Iridium. - bit cheaper that way.

Definition of a close shave ...A Futur set to 6.5 with a Feather.
The gap on a Futur set to 6.5 is an unbelievable 1.75mm ! - even set to one the gap comes in around 1.12mm.

They tell me the newly released Muhle R41 (not the earlier incarnations) is right up there for those that wish to impersonate Freddy Kruger.

I have definitely read of uneven blade exposure on the Futurs, and even the 2000's which are more expensive again. I know they also had some trouble about 12 months ago with the Futur Kit the did with Razor, Stand, Brush & stand, all in matching polished or matte. The brushes were losing losing stupid amounts of hair. Many were replaced free of charge.

The blade changing issue on the Futur is widely known and many have blasted them for making it so hard. I guess you just need to practice doing it a bit. Grab an old blade, grind it blunt on one of your wife's old emery boards, and keep doing it until you have it down pat.

Well Merkur don't make brushes, so that's someone else's fault. THe blade change isn't a matter of practice - it's just the way that it is.

You may find a Slant is all the aggressive you need - it's far smoother than a dialled up adjustable, which may expose more blade, but good luck in shaving with it.