Any way to fix a stuck razor?

Question

My Merkur 34C has been getting stuck for the last couple of months and been an absolute pain to unscrew. The only thing i can see wrong with is that the screw part has some white parts on it, although that just seems to be the chrome plating wearing off. No amount of scrubbing will remove the white parts so I'm pretty sure they aren't a build up of shaving soap or anything.

I can't screw the razor in all the way to the base and when I do screw it in part of the way, it becomes a massive pain to unscrew (i usually have to soak it in dishwashing liquid or something and use a lot of force to unscrew it afterwards).

Anyone know of something that could help fix it? I would rather not buy a new razor...

Two piece. Cover plate has a pin that goes down inside the handle and threads into the "nut" at the bottom.
Sounds like there is something wrong with the threads to me. Unlikely they are cross threaded.. maybe there is a piece of chrome that is dislodged in the threads? I would see if you can get a pipe cleaner style wire brush down there. Failing that, just try to scrub the threads in the nut as best you can, flood it with INOX/CRC/WD40 etc. Ideally, it would be best to get the nut out of the handle....

There is this:
Apparently you simply pull on the twist knob to remove. To return, slide it back up into the handle, it's held in there with a slip ring so you may need to press that slightly to get it back up in place. Once you get it out you could run tap through it to clean the threads.

That's what the interwebs tell me anyway.

My bad, I actually have the Merkur 1904, not the 34C.

merkur_1904_razor.jpg

So far ive tried soaking all 3 pieces (The handle and two plates) in a solution of water + baking soda, water + dishwashing liquid and boiling it in water, but it hasn't helped permanently.

Arr well that's even better because the thread is exposed at the top of the handle. If the cap plate thread is clean, it will have to be the thread in the handle. A thread file will make sure the cap plate thread is clear, a tap is required to clear the thread in the handle. My guess is there is something stuck in the threads, or it has been cross threaded. If you don't have access to the a thread file or a tap, a new razor might be cheaper.

A tap? You mean rinsing it out with water?

It looks like i managed to fix it after soaking it in cocnentrated dishwashing liquid solution for the last couple of hours...i guess there was residue from shaving soap built in the handle and the dishwashing liquid managed to soften it enough for it to get rinsed out.

No, a tap as in "Tap & Die". The thing that cuts the thread. If soaking has worked, see if you can find a small diameter wire brush to poke down there and twist it around to clean the threads out.

19-39011.jpg

Yes @eggbert you are right the Windrose handle fits pretty much any standard three piece razor. It certainly fits my Edwin Jagger DE89 with no issues. They are well priced and if you like a bit of weight in your handle this would be a good choice. Don't see why it wouldn't fit the Merkur 3 piece as well.

I believe Scotch & Stowe handles are the same as the Windrose and Maggards and and and ;)
Also try a bit of toothpaste and a cotton bud and give it a good twist for a few minutes.
Toothpaste is slightly abrasive so should help dislodge anyrhing there and a cotton bud is easy to twist.