Anyone else suffer from flat feet?

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
I've got terrible feet, very broad so I find it difficult to find shoes that fit well.

I also have very flat feet, with a minimal arch. I had a Podiatrist fit me for insoles to try and raise my arches. That combined with the very strong shoes I was wearing (early Asics Kayano's) tended to be too much and actually cause quite significant pain and shin splints.

Although I stick to the Kayano's for my feet as they work reasonably well, has anyone else got an alternative shoe that goes well with broad, flat feet?

My problem is over-pronation and also wear orthotics to correct the problem. It's under control, but if I do anything stupid, my ankles swell up and I have to take arthritis medicine to help with the pain and swelling. I don't really need sports shoes as I cycle exclusively now, but I've always like New Balance. I also have to get the wider sizing (2E) as I also have broad feet.

I too have hobbit feet.

Not flat however, but really broad and +1 for New Balance.

Nike and Reebok et al are no good for my feet, too narrow.

Yep, I am a 'chronic' over-pronator too Moab. I've been told that New Balance are not as good for heel stability as the Asics. I am a definite heel-striker so that's of major importance.

I didn't know they did a 2E fitting though. That's very interesting.

Over pronation here too. I also wear orthotics.

New Balance and Brooks offer different widths in the runners. I have worn both and reckon they're both good. Depending on what you need the different models can offer support and/or stability. Generally pronators, over or under, need support but orthotics will provide support too, so orthotics with a stability shoe may be sufficient. YMMV!

2E is actually the standard width, 4E is wide. NB also do a 6E extra wide and a D for narrow, but you generally have to place an order for those ones with the sports / shoe store, there's such little market for them normally that nobody tends to stock those sizes.

If the Kayanos are a bit too much, back off the technology a little bit. Go down the list to something like a GT-2170 (god they were called 2010's back when I started selling them, have incremented by 10 each new upgrade).

I pronate as well, but not enough to warrant orthodics. I did get fitted for them a bit back, but finances didn't allow me to buy. I run in Kayanos too, though I don't really get too many dramas. My problem is more to do with hip flexibility right now.

Anyway I realise this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd weigh in my 2c. :)

Thread necromancer!

I've just started with a PT after many years of getting fat and lazy so first thing for me was new shoes.
I'm a 13 so I settled for some Brooks. They were actually reduced from $259 to $59 in some unbelievable clearance sale and I can honestly say I have never worn more comfortable shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I should update this thread....

I bought a pair of Airflex 'Soldier' shoes for work, they are more of a runner-style show but good for my line of work. Worst shoes ever - the arch support collapsed after a couple of weeks, some bits of the sole came off for which I had to glue back on.

There's currently some all-black Asics Kayano models out there, might get those instead. Kayano's always do good with my feet.

I find wearing joggers is wrecking my ankles. I play beach volleyball and the relationship between the shoes I wear and ankle injuries is fascinating! I wore a pair of Vibrams for 6 months and didn't hurt my ankles despite rolling them a few times. Now I have been in joggers for about the same amount of time after wearing the Vibrams out and have hurt both ankles. I have just bought a new pair of Volleys to try and get my ankle strength back while I save for new Vibrams.

James