Anyone know about car wheels?

glenos

.. is a GRANDPA now!
2018 Sabbatical
2015 Sabbatical
Long story short. I need a new rim for the Honda Jazz the kids drive and crash in. I found a set off a civic.

The jazz has 14x5.5jj steel rims with 175/65 R14 tyres. The Civic rims are 14x5j steelies. PCD, centre hole diameter and offset are all the same.

I know what all the numbers mean my question is does it matter to go down 0.5" in rim width?

From what I have read I can fit the same tyre size to the narrower rim.

Long version, new P-plater son skidded in the wet and sideswiped a curb. Bent lower control arm and snapped steering rod, trashed the rim. Sub frame looks ok compared to other side. No one hurt.

At this rate by the time the last one gets through the first year of P's I'll have rebuilt the whole car.

Yes, you can usually go a size down on the rim. It's going the other way that's problematic, as it becomes easier to "burp" the tyre on rough roads (or kerbs). So long as the offset, PCD etc are the same, you should be fine. You just have an enjoyable afternoon's work with the tyre-irons cut out for you. What fun. :rolleyes:

Let someone else do the balancing. Sure it is possible to do it yourself (I did a couple of times back in the early 14th century), but it's not worth the trouble.

You just have an enjoyable afternoon's work with the tyre-irons cut out for you. What fun.
Thanks, I figured it is ok.
There are at least two new tyres required and a wheel alignment. So the man from the shop can do all of that. I don't even own tyre irons.