AP Reserve Escentials 'Restoration' [Australian Testers Wanted]

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer

AP Reserve Escentials is a line of products where the contents are of the highest possible quality, but with packaging that focuses purely on function, resulting in very reasonable prices. This is the essence of AP Reserve Escentials: a line that will see perfumes, serum and other wet-shaving products released aside from AP Reserve and Réserve Privée

For the past 15 months I have been developing my own face serum, I needed to develop a product that can be used directly after shaving, and at night, in the manner of a traditional serum - a concentrated solution for the skin that repairs, restores and soothes the skin, reducing wrinkles and fatigue. I wanted to do something very different than every other product on the market, and that is a product that has been developed and compounded specifically for wet-shavers using the latest peptides, and the latest compounds that have demonstrated beneficial effects on the skin. My serum is based on science, it is based on dermatology and it based on hundreds of hours of reading, research and practical experimentation.

Traditional aftershave balms have too many limitations, you cannot deliver the benefit to the face without the wearer having to endure a thick, unpleasant and greasy experience that is frankly horrible in hot and humid weather. I wanted a product that could be used all year round, required only 2 or 3 minute pumps of a concentrate and one that was absorbed entirely in 3 minutes at the most.

I have trialled around 60 formulations so far to get to the point and it has taken me around 15 months before I was even close to going live. My intention here is to deliver an exceptional skin care product, at a price that is very reasonable. The final composition of the product that will be tested has been compounded commercially in Victoria to my specifications (my formula), it has undergone all the usual testing (IFRA allergens, skin allergens, sterility) and is obviously compliant in every way. Now I could just launch the product and I know it will sell, but prior to doing so I am conducting trials/testing in both the US and Australia. The US testing will commence in around 2 weeks, using 20 or so testers who will use the product daily.

The serum I have developed has a number of the very latest active peptides within, with an exhaustive range of organic oils, moisturising compounds and the very slightest perfume (Australian Sandalwood/Geranium & Lavender) to create a pleasant perfume when using the product, and to mask the natural odour of some of the compounds. The intention here is skin care - restoration, repair and conditioning. I have created this serum specifically for the faces of men who shave, it has taken me months of research and work.

I am now looking for 12-15 testers within Australia

It is a very simple trial, if you want to participate simply send me an email dan [at] australianprivatereserve.com and I will mail you a 15ml serum in an airless container.

A full list of ingredients will be provided with each tester, and your feedback (if any) can be posted privately, or in this thread, or not at all. There is absolutely no obligation whatsoever to post anything about the serum, all I can say is myself and around 8 others have been using this product daily for around 2 months, and the results have been fantastic. The US trials will commence in a week or two as I said, but I would love to get some Australian feedback based on our climate and conditions.

I will let everyone know once the testing spots are filled, thanks for reading :)

Dan
AP Reserve

Last edited:
Instructions for Use

• The serum is used instead of an Aftershave - Do not apply an aftershave after using the serum If you use an aftershave after applying the serum you will receive no benefit whatsoever.
  • Apply the serum after you shave to a clean face, and at night before going to sleep.
  • 2 or 3 pumps into your hand is all that is needed - This will result in total absorption in around 2 minutes. Excessive quantities will have no benefit, this is a highly concentrated product and less really is more.
  • Massage the serum into your face, including the neck and any other parts of the face that need some work.
  • The serum is very lightly scented, this is so you can wear an EdT or EdP without it clashing and smelling atrocious and also so it is completely compliant.

AP Reserve Escentials Restoration is an IFRA Class 3(c) product and can be safely used on the entire face, including around the eyes and near the mouth.

In the unlikely event of irritation occurring discontinue use immediately.

I will include an information sheet with each tester, including instructions for use and the ingredients.

Thank you P&C! 16 responses and the trial is now closed.

EDIT: The 15ml testers (airless serum pumps) will be posted on Saturday morning. Once you get yours feel free to use it, post it in SOTD's etc and do whatever you like with it remembering only my instructions above if you want to experience positive results. If you use an alcohol based product on your skin after applying the serum, you will receive no benefit whatsoever from the peptides and other actives within the serum.

PLEASE NOTE: Obviously you are free to do with this product whatever you like including sharing it, if you share it however your results/opinions will be meaningless to me as the product will be contaminated.

The tubes for the test have been filled in a cosmetics laboratory and are essentially sterile. Opening the airless tubes will immediately introduce bacteria and contamination, while you can be fairly sure that this will have no ill effect, for the purposes of my testing I will have to immediately discount your opinion/results/experience from the tests due to the risk of contamination of the actives within.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing feedback on this, have fun testing out.

Also @todras are you planning a larger size than 30ml in the future??

No, 30ml will last around 6 months with daily use. The serum is designed so I do not have to rely on a class of preservative that impedes the action of the active peptides which are critical to the serums efficacy. 30 ml is the ideal size for a product that is of high concentration. You use very little of the serum, 2 or 3 pumps at the most - this is not a balm. If you see products in large sizes that claim to be a serum, then it's a fair bet that they are just a balm ;)

The testers are using a very light preservative, they are designed to be thrown away after 2 months from the date of first use - the testers will have this warning on the instruction sheet.

t4PvV3z.jpg

@todras, it seems a bit of a waste to throw it away after 2 month of use. Does the commercial version last longer? Why not test a longer lasting formulation?

@todras, it seems a bit of a waste to throw it away after 2 month of use. Does the commercial version last longer? Why not test a longer lasting formulation?

The commercial release will last 18 months from date of open.

I am sending out two iterations of the final formula, an A and B with the preservative titrated as I want the test period to only last 2 months across Australia and the US. You can use it after 2 months, but the results will cease to be valid, and you do so at your own risk.

This will be my last comment until the results come in, I would prefer not to influence anyone's opinion of the product.

A big thank you to those people who offered, and paid the $8.95 postage for their serums to be mailed without me asking - I will remember you and will send you a thank you at a future point in time - bloody legends! :)

The mail-outs alone including padded envelope, are costing me around $175.00 as Australia post charge like wounded bulls.

While I do not expect people to pay for postage, anyone wanting to help me out by kicking in $9 or so can PayPal dan [at] australianprivatereserve.com

You will receive your tracking numbers tonight, anyone who did not include their postcode or full name will not as I have to send out 36 samples tonight and I unfortunately do not have the time to chase people up, sorry guys!

Postage is now complete and those in the trial will receive their tracking numbers from Australia Post directly. Thanks again guys, I hope you find the serum to be of some benefit :)

Been a long time between drinks.
Can not wait for this to hit the market :)
Curious if there is anything to replace the disinfecting value of alcohol, and naturally, cooling/soothing of menthol.

Been a long time between drinks.
Can not wait for this to hit the market :)
Curious if there is anything to replace the disinfecting value of alcohol, and naturally, cooling/soothing of menthol.

You are confusing the trial with the final product.

I asked people not to apply aftershave after my serum as its pointless to do so, if I didn't mention it, people would not know!

Some people will use the retail product only at night for maximum restoration (traditionally this is when serums are used btw), some will use it after they shave as they hate alcohol splashes or don't want an aftershave to clash with their perfume, or if they are like me find that balms are way to heavy for Australia for a majority of the year. Some days I want a break from alcohol splashes, and balms are just not nourishing enough and are mostly just too damm heavy for our climate.

Serums are ideal: high potency, low volume. What sets mine apart is that I took the idea of a balm and a serum, and combined them and that is what took me 15 months and a shitload of work,

Once all is said and done with the trials I will discuss my serum a little more but I have no intention of giving up any of the composition secrets, at all. All of my peptides are certified for human use within Australia, which is a lot more than I will say for some of the commercial serums. The testers have the full ingredients, the peptides I have listed are the only ones on the market with any proven efficacy and 1 in particular I had to import under commercial license (trademark) as it is not available here.

The closest available product even slightly comparable to my Restoration serum available on the market costs $170+ AUD for 30ml......My retail price will be nothing even slightly close to that :censored:

Last edited:
Dan, This product must be used daily or can be alternated?

Alternated, no need to use it everyday unless you have skin like an old baseball mitt :ROFLMAO:

You can use it after every shave as a balm, but you do not need to. If people use it everyday you only need to use 1 small pump, it is very potent and concentrated. The serum is very thin and spreads easily (it is like Eufros, but more concentrated) 1 pump can do the whole face with damp hands.

Ok the testers have all been sent out and things are underway. I'm going to be taking a break from P&C for a while, however as I mentioned you are welcome to send any feedback at all to dan [at] australianprivatereserve.com in regards to the serum. It is my hope that you derive an appreciable benefit from it :)

As somebody who has been basically using the serum nearly every shave for 2 months I commend @todras on his efforts and thank him for allowing me the chance to test this product. I tend to avoid aftershaves with my skin and go for balms and lotions so having the opportunity to try out a serum was a no brainier. Not knowing what to expect I went into things with an open mind and positive expectations.
First impressions are very positive as the product does go a long way when used with damp hands otherwise you're applying too much with no added benefit. Trust me I was doing this in the beginning but found it worked best post shower with a dampen face/hands. I admit I went a tad overboard in use and in the future I'd limit it to a few times a week.
As a face and head shaver I enjoy the easy of application and how good it feels on my skin and I'm no dermatologist but as I'm prone to the odd sweat pimple/skin blemish on my face & forehead, since using the serum I have noticed a dramatic decline in breakouts and I put this down to the properties of the serum but no real scientific proof to back this up, just logic as I've avoided other products and used an APR soap to keep testing somewhat consistent :)
For me the serum has similar consistency as a favourite of mine Proraso balm 'so I'm interested to see what the final version will be and packaging as the only downside for me has been the test unit as I have a tendency to over use things as the pumps come out small and I like to use it on both the face, neck and head, so I'm interested in seeing if the consistency will change once released...?
In all honesty I see myself purchasing it as I see the benefit of a serum as opposed to say a balm which if memory has me right @todras had experimented with last winter...? Either way I will continue testing the Serum until it runs out and wish Dan the best in his next adventures as I think he's onto a winner with Restoration (y)

I too was lucky enough to be on this trial and have to commend todras, I have sensitive skin and al sots of dermal issues. I found my skin settled right down and I even stopped using a pre-shave oil as there seemed no need. No razor bumps or redness at all and I really like the scent. As mentioned above, use damp hands and 1 or 2 squirts at the very most is more than enough. I think I had less blade chatter or flutter when shaving, not sure how to word it but shaves were smother, more comfortable and zero irritation.

I had no idea if to expect anything or what is was meant to do, but it certainly seemed in my short testing of it to very good indeed. My facial skin feels pretty nice and soft.