April 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
20160917_212736-jpg.689361

Because it is a link to B&B...picture will come up only when you are logged in there...a bit lazy @Young Buck but a great soap :D

3 new phones for the family arrived at my front door last week.... busy getting nano sim replacement from Tel$tra for 2 of them, firmware updated on all of them, Google accounts set up, Mi accounts set up, contacts exported/imported, apps installed, photos transferred, music transferred, backups set up, customisation applied and learning the new OS.... busy weekend!

qbTTx99l.jpg

3 new phones for the family arrived at my front door last week.... busy getting nano sim replacement from Tel$tra for 2 of them, firmware updated on all of them, Google accounts set up, Mi accounts set up, contacts exported/imported, apps installed, photos transferred, music transferred, backups set up, customisation applied and learning the new OS.... busy weekend!

qbTTx99l.jpg
Congratulations - love my Mi (y)

As I can see shaving non-related stuff, that's a PIF a fellow bring today... > 5 Kg of native oysters just harvested. Not sure but, I may be sick tomorrow for going to work :whistle:

OnV00W2.jpg
Man oh Man - just need a few wedges of lime and some Louisiana hot sauce, and it's manna from heaven. :D
You might want to think about a shorter, thicker blade for shucking (if the knife in picture is what you are using).

I had somewhere a proper oyster blade, found after the picture was taken. Some were huge and a real pain to try to open with any other king of blade (pretty dangerous too)
Cheers

Where are they from, did you check the fishery is open and safe, we have had a fair bit of shellfish toxin around due to the warm summers. You will be sick for more than work today.
Thanks for remembering that. The waters of eastern TAS shores looks pretty safe, and even if my mate checks, i always double check before consumption (there is one in the Huon area). I am quite aware of the potential problems, even if I am not a diver, because sometimes I have been involved in sampling wild oysters for toxin analysis from Bruny and also I have made some modelling of the Alexandrium catenella blooms from the Chilean fjords to either predict rather than when they may happen (that's what most people is looking after), the bloom behaviour in a sense of travelling waves and how blooms magnitud may influence its ability for seeding cystes and make smaller blooms in successive seasons. That does not make much sense here in Tassie, but in complex and long interconnected systems like the Chilean pacific coast and the fjords it may be quite useful. Many communities relies on local sea farming or harvesting activities, even if it is only for their domestic market.
Cheers

Op shop $10 buy. The head was full of rust from a long dead blade (attached to inside of both doors), TTO mechanism was stiff and crunchy and there was lots of verdigris on handle. I thought it was an early Rocket HD and so worth a gamble, even though I'm not technical. Was prepared to lose my massive investment.

Here it is after initial work of a night soak in soapy water, an intense cycle in the dishwasher (which fixed the TTO), brass brush scrubbing out of rust, quick polish with cloth and an oiling of the mechanism. I've run out if cotton buds so the nooks and crannies need a bit of work. One door sits a tiny bit higher than the other when closed. Any further suggestions for renovation are welcome.

Yaqi Synthetic arrived today did a test lather with Razorock XXX you definitely don't have to be skilled at all to lather with this thing just goes nuts up to your elbows in soap, bit of a cheats brush really. Massive handle nice in the hand though
KrTKyOK.jpg

Op shop $10 buy. The head was full of rust from a long dead blade (attached to inside of both doors), TTO mechanism was stiff and crunchy and there was lots of verdigris on handle. I thought it was an early Rocket HD and so worth a gamble, even though I'm not technical. Was prepared to lose my massive investment.

Here it is after initial work of a night soak in soapy water, an intense cycle in the dishwasher (which fixed the TTO), brass brush scrubbing out of rust, quick polish with cloth and an oiling of the mechanism. I've run out if cotton buds so the nooks and crannies need a bit of work. One door sits a tiny bit higher than the other when closed. Any further suggestions for renovation are welcome.

PM Sent

Thanks for remembering that. The waters of eastern TAS shores looks pretty safe,
Good to hear.
I used to work at Analytical Services Tasmania as a chemist but was lab manager when A. Tamarense was first detected in Tas waters. A day I will never forget, resulted in an international recall of commercial product.

Good to hear.
I used to work at Analytical Services Tasmania as a chemist but was lab manager when A. Tamarense was first detected in Tas waters. A day I will never forget, resulted in an international recall of commercial product.
I have been here for the last three years, but I was told about a big loss around 5-6 years ago due to that species. Not sure if that was the first but I can imagine roughly the situation when that first event happened and in a position like you had; something certainly best to not have to live.
But don;t forget that even Tassie is a small island, that most people know for the devil cartoons or the apples, outside Australia (Tassie apples were highly regarded in UK western europe before the EU regulations and self market protection, most of my friends back in Spain didn;t know about Tasmania, but my uncle knew it because the apples :) ).
But out that, in the marine science area it is well known worldwide. In such a small place you can find CSIRO, AAD, and IMAS (UTAS is top ranked worldwide in many marine science areas), plus the own state agencies. IMAS (my institute, btw) conducts a lot of research also with the toxic algae, including Alexandrium, not only about what's going on at sea, but also how the toxins affects at cellular levels etc... Quite a few chileans has been granted by their goverment to came to Tassie to do PhD's on that area (including alexandrium toxicity). So, with all tis, I think the system for earlier detection, and for closing-opening comercial/recreational shelfish-ing down here is really good. Anyway, when I got wild shelfish for raw eating, I alwais have just one hours before 'going for them'.
So now, as some of them are still at home, and having them too much time out of the water is also risky for raw eating, I am thinking on making them in the oven with some blue cheese xD

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.