Art of Shaving unscented sample pack give away

cranky

IMG_2231 by cranky, on Flickr

High everyone, recently came back from hawaii and found the Art of Shaving store at Ala Moana shopping centre it was like finding your favourite lolly shop, anyway purchased some goodies and the lady gave me some unscented sample packs, happy to give one away to some forum member to try out it has the pre-shave oil, shaving cream and balm.
First one to PM me i will send to hope you enjoy it.
Regards
cranky

Yes they do i have already tried the Lemon shaving cream, Lemon aftershave & EDT very nice the shaving cream is very slick indeed.

Very generous of you @cranky - good stuff!

0A9dBDG

My Art of Shaving samples review, thanks to @cranky

Firstly I have to add the caveat that I have been wet shaving for years but have only been using a DE razor for a whole 6 days so ymmv definitely applies here...

the tools: gillette fat boy adjustable @ 2, Astra green, superior platinum (thanks to @Korbz), and an omega badger brush (I've had this for years and don't have any other info on what model it is), 2 passes 1xWTG and 1xXTG

First off the the pre shave oil... I really liked this, it's made primarily of castor seed oil and has, olive, clove, lavender and pepper in in it. I've used other pre shave oils that were ok but this stuff was sticky and warming and made a great base for the shave cream. Despite being unscented the clove oils gave it a nice subtle earthy aroma, grade = A+

The shave cream... as it was a small sample pack I bowel lathered and it produced a heap of rich lather. Compared to the C&E nomad i've been using for the the last 3 years it was like day and night. This stuff whipped up easy and went on thick. I probably could have added more water to it as I found it dried out a bit quick on the face. This also had a subtle scent that I couldn't quiet pick but was nice. Performance was great, again as compared to the nomad, it convinced me I definitely need top get some new soap but I'm not sure it would be this one, mainly because I've got my eye on some Shaver heaven stuff and not because there was anything wrong with this, If I had a tub of it I would put it in the rotation, grade = B

The after shave balm... (post alum) probably my least favourite of the samples, it was quiet thin and and although it put the whole lot on I still needed to apply some of the Proraso white post shave that I picked up this week as the balm dried quit quickly. I've not used balm before so maybe that's normal? grade = C

As a set this stuff worked great, produced a closer shave than I've been able to obtain up until now and left my face feeling great and despite being unscented I would say it had a subtle aroma that I liked. I wasn't used to the thickness of the lather and actually gave myself a few nicks as I didn't have the feedback I'm used too but that's operator error and just getting used to something new.

Thank again to @cranky for setting me up with the samples

Great review, @obes . Keep them coming mate!

C&E is renowned for being a difficult soap to lather so you will find that many soaps will churn out a better lather. Just wait until you try those Shaver Heavens!

Excellent report @obes glad you enjoyed it, I also found the balm to be ordinary can't beat the proraso balm its a top performer the only other balm that i like is the Geo.F.Trumper skin food.

Regards
cranky

The shave cream... as it was a small sample pack I bowel lathered and it produced a heap of rich lather.

Wow, I didn't realise this made it go further. Do you still use a brush? Do you get smaller or bigger bubbles in your lather mix this way?

The small sample pack of shave cream lasted me two shaves you only need a pea size amount in the bowl and thats enough to get four passes, i used a Semogue 1800 it was its 5th use and not quite broken in yet but performed well.