Aussie award winning spirits... but are they any good?

I had a snifter of the Sullivan's Cove (Double Cask, not the French Oak that won the award) in one of the many "tartan tat" shortbread-heavy whisky shops in Edinburgh (jesus those guys go for all the stereotypes... shortbread, oatcakes, staff wearing kilts, bagpipe music gently playing on the sound system in the shop...) - fair play it's very pleasant stuff - goes down well... then I happened upon the price... £70/bottle (when I can buy 2 or even 3 bottles of something 99% as good for that - more if the Co-Op has an offer on). The 'award winner' is now going for £90/btl - yowser!

The Tassie whisky industry is going places in very small slow steps. Sullivans Cove is one of the many distilleries we have down here.

Lark distillery usually win an award or two, I haven't tried their stuff, my Dad did one time he was down here and described it as rocket fuel mixed with paint thinners, BUT he used to drink industrial roast coffee and still drinks cheap scotch. So he may not be the most accurate represantation.

They are generally pretty pricey, small scale production, boutique, blah, blah, blah.

There used to be a scheme where you could invest in a barrel of Nant Distillery Whisky and after 4 years you got 11% pa return or a barrel of Whisky.

I work with the guy who used to do Lark's distilling for him.

I've tried the Lark. Went to a conference in Hobart where after dinner we went there for a tasting and then back in our room found a gift bag with a bottle (superannuation conferences know no bounds in generosity, this one also gives you the notes on an iPad....)

The Lark was a nice scotch. Not my favourite but certainly very drinkable