Review Australian Private Reserve - The Soap

Really had some fun today with the soap - loaded like I hated it and...

20170304_MuhleXL_APR_Lavender_S_zps19bdlzp9.jpg

20170304_MuhleXL_APR_Lavender_Tub_S_zpsemfdw2nr.jpg

@TomG I really think you are not using enough product - the residual slickness is actually sensational...just start with a rather dry brush and very slowly add the water...you will eat up the soap in no time, but the lather...again SENSATIONAL (y)(y)(y)

Now I just have one big problem @Sxot and @todras - I AM OUT OF APR SOAP SO HURRY UP :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Now I just have one big problem @Sxot and @todras - I AM OUT OF APR SOAP SO HURRY UP

Don't pork chop me bro!

I must say though, I commend the use of such a traditional style and colour of brush, I didn't know you had it in you. Very pleasing on the eye, and most suitable for the occasion :pompous:

May 5th(*) Winter- 2 Scents

By that I mean most likely May 19th and 3 fragrances, Aftershave+Soap for 2 of them at this point.

The other is a P&C LE release that may drop earlier or later depending on the timing. Just a polite heads up, please No Polsilvers! as trades for the LE...

Last edited:
What a capital suggestion!

Let's say it releases on the 5th of May or thereabouts, a Bay Rum with a very different and welcome twist...

March 18th Autumn - 4 Scents

May 5th(*) Winter- 2 Scents
You know the average Max temperature is 32 degrees up here in winter, right?

I guess you have to quadruple up on the summer scents then :D

I will make you something special, I have just the scent in mind.

6ml of Dark, damp cold weather Vetiver and 6 grams of menthol in solution, we can call it "FFS" and I will leave you to work out why Eggs :D

Seriously though, if you want some of the summer scents in Winter I can do that for you, just let me know and I will get the Summer fragrances and my bottle of menthol out.

I will make you something special, I have just the scent in mind.

6ml of Dark, damp cold weather Vetiver and 6 grams of menthol in solution, we can call it "FFS" and I will leave you to work out why Eggs :D

Seriously though, if you want some of the summer scents in Winter I can do that for you, just let me know and I will get the Summer fragrances and my bottle of menthol out.

For f*ck's sake?
F*cking freezing sh*t?

Shaved with Mycroft this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the rich, thick and buttery lather. The production soap has the consistency and hardness of B&M and loads beautifully, it also has Silk Protein added whereas the testers did not due to cost. I will post some lather shots in coming days.

That aside, the fragrance was something I would love to rant and rave about endlessly, but that would look a bit bloody odd and probably wouldn't we appropriate, regrettably....Think an evolution of Baker St with drastically more depth, multiple accords and very, very good sillage. Post shave feel of the soap was flawless with the production batch with @Sxot locking in the final soap formulation which was noticeably complimented with the protein addition. Cracking job partner, you nailed it man and I am so, so happy with the result!

The application of the new APR aftershave post-shave that is drenched with moisturising and skin care compounds -is comparable to a balm it is so good, I wish I had learned the chemistry and formulated it months ago. I have absolute no qualms or concerns about making this claim, I have been testing it for 2 months and the final formula that will go out with the Autumn range is phenomenal, it costs me a lot more to produce (Allantoin, Panthenol & pure aloe extracts are expensive and require a quite complicated 3 phase process) but it is worth every cent on application.

Due to the cost of these superb new compounds I will be dropping the price of the aftershaves because that is how I roll. I'm also scaling up production which equates to lower costs across most areas which is the real reason :D

Bloody happy with the soap, bloody happy with the splash. Can't wait to read peoples comments on both once it drops :)

Last edited:
Shaved with Mycroft this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the rich, thick and buttery lather. The production soap has the consistency and hardness of B&M and loads beautifully, it also has Silk Protein added whereas the testers did not due to cost. I will post some lather shots in coming days.

That aside, the fragrance was something I would love to rant and rave about endlessly, but that would look a bit bloody odd and probably wouldn't we appropriate, regrettably....Think an evolution of Baker St with drastically more depth, multiple accords and very, very good sillage. Post shave feel of the soap was flawless with the production batch with @Sxot locking in the final soap formulation which was noticeably complimented with the protein addition. Cracking job partner, you nailed it man and I am so, so happy with the result!

The application of the new APR aftershave post-shave that is drenched with moisturising and skin care compounds -is comparable to a balm it is so good, I wish I had learned the chemistry and formulated it months ago. I have absolute no qualms or concerns about making this claim, I have been testing it for 2 months and the final formula that will go out with the Autumn range is phenomenal, it costs me a lot more to produce (Allantoin, Panthenol & pure aloe extracts are expensive and require a quite complicated 3 phase process) but it is worth every cent on application.

Due to the cost of these superb new compounds I will be dropping the price of the aftershaves because that is how I roll. I'm also scaling up production which equates to lower costs across most areas which is the real reason :D

Bloody happy with the soap, bloody happy with the splash. Can't wait to read peoples comments on both once it drops :)
Can't wait to buy some!

I forgot to mention, the new labels I will be using from now on (with the new design) are waterproof on both the soap and the splash. I got really sick of the old labels getting wet and I am betting other people did too, so from now on in it won't be a problem. They are not cheap, but worth it for myself and for the people who buy and use APR :)

Yeah, yet said water damage gave them such a traditional feel to them...

Yeah, yet said water damage gave them such a traditional feel to them...

There is always someone isn't there mate :D

Don't worry, you scooped two large lots of APR with the old labels that I will bring to the Sydney meetup for you, I think you did bloody well grabbing those too ;)

There is always someone isn't there mate :D

Don't worry, you scooped two large lots of APR with the old labels that I will bring to the Sydney meetup for you, I think you did bloody well grabbing those too ;)

So we have SA, Mycroft, General Ledger and Alfredus as the scents?

Cannot remember what i said to put me down for, pretty sure SA was in there so I'd want the soap with that too.

Other half loves it but she did mention that all of your sents have a definite sweetness to them. I don't smell it in GL so much.