Review Australian Private Reserve - The Soap

Cannot remember what i said to put me down for, pretty sure SA was in there so I'd want the soap with that too.

Done, it was SA and something else, whatever it was, it's done.

I will be bringing a few soaps and splashes to the meetup for Sydney peeps to checkout/or buy. Yours are already reserved.

Other half loves it but she did mention that all of your sents have a definite sweetness to them.

That's just me all over mate but it's always good to hear what the women think :)

So we have SA, Mycroft, General Ledger and Alfredus as the scents?

Hey mate, yes we do :)

Those are the Autumn scents and soaps yes. There will be 3 or 4 new soaps and fragrances for Winter (May 10th -18th) or thereabouts and a couple of special releases (P&C exclusive most likely - soap and splash) when I get the time, a lot of things have happened in the last month to APR, what started as a project and a P&C community 'thing' has now evolved, it still is and always will be a P&C thing for my mates and the community here but it will also evolve to various markets over the coming months. No big noting or horn blowing crap, I will post on the developments once they all iterate into being in the next few weeks.

Work is flatout at the moment, I'm doing around 55hrs a week and the APR thing is really forcing me to burn the midnight oil which I must and have to do to keep it alive, viable and to therefore ensure that this Australian inspired, made and owned small artisan brand grows beyond it's small patch of land. I'm far from burn't out, but it is taking a toll in the ramp up to the events around the 18th.

I made the decision to re-release GL, SA and AC as aftershaves again as were very popular and I wanted them in soap form (so did a lot of people who contacted me). From that perspective, and also the other being it gives all those people who missed them first time (I released 10 fragrances at once in the middle of summer) a chance to pick them up with a soap - especially if they are not P&C community members.

There will be 3 or 4 new soaps and fragrances for Winter (May 10th -18th - thereabouts). Completely new designs (not fragrances I have done before) and a big evolution in the perfume construction and design (I think anyway). One of them is 'Bay City' which is a Bay Rum but not just another bay rum, or bay rum and lime combo - think along the lines of how B&M and other artisans give things a really cool twist with their releases, this will be a lot like that.

One of each set please :D

Oh, so are you taking pre-release orders @todras ;)

No pressure to produce mate ...

MUCH!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

a4.jpg

One of each set please :D

Oh, so are you taking pre-release orders @todras ;)

No pressure to produce mate ...

MUCH!

Pressure you say ?

Now you mention it, I have been a little busier than usual this weekend filling several boxes like this one Mr 66...
VUCAHsd.jpg

The Autumn APR will drop next Saturday 6PM AEST on P&C via a post in the Artisan forum.

After I make the post and provide the pricing information orders will be under the usual P&C rules, first come first served by PM according to time received.
This is necessary due to limited stock being available however I will do my absolute best to make sure it is fair for everyone :)

Really appreciate the support and interest from you guys too!

Cheers,
Dan

No pre-release for members attending the Sydney meet up?

I will have limited quantities at the Sydney meetup @borked, yes :)

No pre-release for members attending the Sydney meet up?

You Sydney folk think you are just SOOOOO special don't you? Always wanting to get the inside running on things.

Just wait your turn like the rest of the country, sorry WORLD I believe it is now!

You Sydney folk think you are just SOOOOO special don't you? Always wanting to get the inside running on things.

Just wait your turn like the rest of the country, sorry WORLD I believe it is now!
...says the guy who conveniently omits to mention that he will be in attendance ;)

I need to clarify on reflection, all of the aftershaves will now be sold at the one price to meet pending Australian retail parity, in effect this will mean that one of them will rise, some will fall and some will stay at the existing price point. All of the soaps will all be at the one price too. This will be standard going forward for APR, with the exceptions being some special releases.

A small review here on the upcoming APR release for Winter - the 'Bourbon Rose' which I snaffled a sampler of both the soap and the AS at the meetup on Saturday thanks to @todras.

Lets just say at the start this is going to be one of those releases if you do not get it then you will be feeling the regret. The scent itself is very complex, heavy on the rose but there is different layers of it for sure and once the initial top note dries down there is a much deeper and richer rose to be unveiled followed by the fougere base. Note it is a "Bourbon Rose" + Fougere scent, not a Bourbon + Rose + Fougere scent. I may yet dose my AS with a drop of Makers Mark and see how it goes then!

The soapmaking prowess of @Sxot seems to improve with every release. Not sure if he took my previous suggestions but it seems that I get a better lather with far more cushion and still very slick. Takes on water like a demon, although the scent in the soap does not completely match the AS that is to be expected. This is where a separate scent recipe for the soap would be required to add more of the notes which the soap instead mutes. Honestly it's not a big deal as other artisans have the same problem, but this one was quite noticeable. My other half noted the post-shave scent differences also, she had a sniff before and after the AS application and she also made mention of it.

I am actually now quite gutted that this one was not in @shavetheman's arsenal for his trip to ShaveWest as a giveaway. This would have blown some minds in Cali of that I am sure. I am sitting here and writing this, getting whiffs of this scent and it's making me smile.

Finally, the question was asked "Is Dan planning to do any womens fragrances?" I don't know but I know he definitely could.

The soapmaking prowess of @Sxot seems to improve with every release. Not sure if he took my previous suggestions but it seems that I get a better lather with far more cushion and still very slick. Takes on water like a demon, although the scent in the soap does not completely match the AS that is to be expected. This is where a separate scent recipe for the soap would be required to add more of the notes which the soap instead mutes. Honestly it's not a big deal as other artisans have the same problem, but this one was quite noticeable. My other half noted the post-shave scent differences also, she had a sniff before and after the AS application and she also made mention of it.

The test soaps are scented by me and are not cooked and scented by @Sxot, obviously he cooks the soap that I scent. The test soaps I use to test the stability of my perfume base in the soap base that APR uses, I need to ensure the perfume base stays true and that the soap does not discolour i.e. stain brushes. The test soap and fragrances are sent out to the testers around a month before release. What I gave out at the Sydney meetup was the remnants of the Winter testers. @alfredus and a couple of others have been testing all of the Winter soaps and fragrances for a few weeks now prior to release. The feedback as expected, was excellent with of course peoples water, skill and environment playing a very large part in how they use and experience both the soap and the fragrances.

The formula for the APR soaps has not changed, both Scott and I reached the point that based on our testing (through the testers feedback) where we were both happy with the stability of the soap and it's performance. It's a formula that we have locked in permanently and it will not change or vary.

I am actually now quite gutted that this one was not in @shavetheman's arsenal for his trip to ShaveWest as a giveaway. This would have blown some minds in Cali of that I am sure. I am sitting here and writing this, getting whiffs of this scent and it's making me smile.

Several sets are on their way to various US YouTube and /r/wetshaving reviewers and fellow artisans as we speak, it's fair to say the US is the next stop for APR :)

Finally, the question was asked "Is Dan planning to do any womens fragrances?" I don't know but I know he definitely could.

I could, but have no passion for it and certainly no where near enough time to do so :)

Last edited:
The formula for the APR soaps has not changed, both Scott and I reached the point that based on our testing (through the testers feedback) where we were both happy with the stability of the soap and it's performance. It's a formula that we have locked in permanently and it will not change or vary.
It looks like it might just be batch variability and treatment of the soap (scented after processing opposed to scented at post-processing & packaging), but performance of this sample seemed far higher than the SAA tub of soap. It also seemed a little softer whioch probably helps the loading.

Several sets are on their way to various US YouTube and /r/wetshaving reviewers and fellow artisans as we speak, it's fair to say the US is the next stop for APR :)
I saw Con was going to give away a set of Mycroft - the person who gets it is going to be one lucky barstard as I am pretty sure none of them know what is about to hit them. Glad that a few of the US-based personalities will give APR a try. I am sure it will give you a very big boost as while the soaps are very good, the AS is exceptional as we all know.

I could, but have no passion for it and certainly no where near enough time to do so :)
I know the feeling, but maybe a scent or two in the future may be more unisex in appeal...

So do I just send my money to the usual place marked 'Bourbon Rose' ? :)

Hmmm, I wonder if a monthly DD would just be simpler?

So do I just send my money to the usual place marked 'Bourbon Rose' ? :)

Hmmm, I wonder if a monthly DD would just be simpler?

I tried to get Anthony to do that. Start a "club" and automatically send new releases to members at a slightly discounted (debited CC) rate just prior to release. That was before Charky started "the club" too.

Just send your salary there each month.

I'm not sure what my wife and family would think about that - but at least I would smell good I suppose ...

I tried to get Anthony to do that. Start a "club" and automatically send new releases to members at a slightly discounted (debited CC) rate just prior to release. That was before Charky started "the club" too.

It would be a lot of work, I was talking to an artisan buddy in the US about his recent pre-sales experiences, he had to pack and send 200 soaps and around 300 aftershaves over a 4 day period once the pre-sale closed - that's a whole lot of work when you work a regular 40 hour week. It almost killed him he said, he was like a zombie at the end of it.

The more I read about that club the less I like, particularly in the context of the B&M Passiflora fiasco. It's quite interesting though to see club members who now have a trade each month directly selling club soaps on FB at near parity to club retail to non members, where there is an opportunity I guess.