Review Australian Private Reserve - The Soap

Congratulations APR, great review on the new V2 soap base. Lost my sample so will have to wait it out (n)

The Wholly Kaw is a damn fine product with performance and post shave at exemplary levels. Yet one of my favourite artisans that nail it as a product is APR. Their scents, these keep me reaching over the Wholly Kaw.

A regular /r/wetshaving and indeed P&C user @JohnB413 posted a review of Velours Noir Soap, Splash and EDT. You will find john drawing on his massive range of soaps and splashes by way of comparison in this review and frankly it's the kind of review any artisan could wish for.

Wetshaving has strict disclosure rules (a very good thing) so that's why the disclaimers are included at the conclusion of the review :)

Great review @JohnB413. I get more then a hint of citrus. I smell it all through.

The temperature of your body, the perfume itself and the environment all interplay to effect how and when the scent notes are released, this is the best way of explaining the different notes people are getting - aside from the obviously subjective perception. So its getting warmer in the US and our weather is colder, thus the different experiences of the same fragrance :)

JAFR - Just another fantastic review- for APR. I have the same feeling regarding the new base, but as I have not yet loaded it from a full tube, I don't know if is has an easier loading process -it looks much softer, so that would be expected.
Hoping to sniff - and splash on my face, neck, chest and most of the body- this Velour Noir soon :D

JAFR - Just another fantastic review- for APR. I have the same feeling regarding the new base, but as I have not yet loaded it from a full tube, I don't know if is has an easier loading process -it looks much softer, so that would be expected.
Hoping to sniff - and splash on my face, neck, chest and most of the body- this Velour Noir soon :D

I find brush loading from a tub always much easier, that's my big reluctance to do soap samples as it's so hard to get the quantity just right even when you put the sample in the base of a bowl or scuttle.

I find brush loading from a tub always much easier, that's my big reluctance to do soap samples as it's so hard to get the quantity just right even when you put the sample in the base of a bowl or scuttle.

It is easier to load, and my opinion, more pleasant than working a sample. I know people always scoop from the soap/cream to the bowl, but I don’t see any benefit. Maybe for soap preservation? I have soaps like la toja that have a few years and no problem in wetting-drying regularly...
Cheers

It is easier to load, and my opinion, more pleasant than working a sample. I know people always scoop from the soap/cream to the bowl, but I don’t see any benefit. Maybe for soap preservation? I have soaps like la toja that have a few years and no problem in wetting-drying regularly...
Cheers

I completely agree, it's for this reason (and the loading issue) I do not, and probably never will, offer soap samples for sale.

APR is dominating that reddit! Top two posts are two great APR images.

/r/wetshaving is home to a majority of the leading US artisans and it is a community I have been a part of for a number of years. It's rough and tumble and has a very different feel to P&C.

While I really do appreciate the nature of your post big-time, it's probably fairer to say that rather than dominating the sub in any way, we are just receiving some very hard earned reviews from people who really know their stuff :)

I can barely keep enough water up to it, second pass is like honey once it sits in the brush for a while. More water and it's slick again.

Performance is top notch.

I only make the fragrances and the splash, @nsavage is the man responsible for the fantastic soap base :)
Well done @todras & @nsavage - the old formula is great but the changes in F2 really allow for a super creamy, slick and cushioning shave. I'm lathering up in less time and the post shave is really wonderful, not to mention the scent profile's from the last few soap's/spalshes :shame: