Review Australian Private Reserve - The Soap

Saw this on FB -

36228816_1069018849912685_5112135058001494016_n.jpg

Trying to imagine the APR version ...

What have you got planned @todras and @nsavage ?

Hey @nsavage, can you do something with the F2 formula please? It's so thirsty that I merely threaten the Plissitane with an outing in an APR tub and it goes clammy. Have to throw it in the bath a few times to revive it, and then I'm the one drowning in lather 30 seconds later.

Hey @nsavage, can you do something with the F2 formula please? It's so thirsty that I merely threaten the Plissitane with an outing in an APR tub and it goes clammy. Have to throw it in the bath a few times to revive it, and then I'm the one drowning in lather 30 seconds later.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry @Monsta_AU but F2 is here to stay for a long time yet. I am sure that we will one day release “F3” but that is far, far off in the future.

We are quite used to read/watch reviews of soaps after they are used. Here is a different type of review of AP Reserve soap current formula. We do have an organist chemist and pharmacist in a spanish forum who is also a wet shaver and make cosmetics as hobby. He opened a thread for blind reviews (we don't tell the brand in advance) of soap/creams formulas, and I just paste the APR one and got some feedback (some 'tech' words were not possible to directly translate, I did my best):

In theory that formulation should be a dense cream, as the water is in second position, but stearic is above it. I would say that this is a soap, and I guess it is, as it does not have preservatives. But the water should be in fourth position for a soap, and first for a cream. It could be a lapses.
With lots of glycerin, that means stable lather and moistening are guaranteed. Beef tallow, potassium. So far, till now we are talking about a soap with a lather with body, very dense and adherent, because of stearic and tallow. Castor oil adds emollient and softness, it is awesome (my best hand soaps always have castor and linseed). With this, you can shave a 5 day beard as if it were just 1 day of growth. And Castor is before the coconut, that will have, I reckon, less than 10% of the formulation, so this soap will build lather slowly, even if there is a lot of potassium. But once built, great lather, a lot of it, I guarantee it. And even if with low amount of coconut, this formula would not dry the skin. In order to round up slickness, hydration, moisturizing, it incorporates sweet almond, Shea butter and lanolin. it will protect the skin, I shit you not!. The citric is there to buffer the pH, and the alantoin is good for small cuts and skin regeneration, that will help in the post-shave. Silk protein is a bit expensive (30 Euro / Kg), and it may go in a 1% proportion, brings some softness. The fragrance is in a very high concentration according to its position on the ingredient list, I'd say at least 5%, so it is a strongly scented soap. It has to be synthetic, as it does not declare terpens, or made by essential oils, but then it have to be from outside the EU, were manufacturers don't have to declare this.
This soap is from the American school, not necessarily from USA, but on that line. The formulation, for me, is outstanding, natural ingredients, not specially expensive ones (but the silk protein, that I would remove), and every ingredient in its own place, where they should be. Very good product, not a single preservative. This is a top notch formulation, artisan, well studied, simple, noble, designed for protection and slickness. But this is not an innovative one. Everyone knows american brands with this style, because of formulation.
If you own it, enjoy it, and comment about it

I am quite tempted to pass there all Aussie formulas I have and maybe open a thread for it here?
cheers
Fer

Last edited:

AP Reserve Florian - ASMR Edition!
I have never seen anyone add so much water so quickly to any soap and TBH I was trembling at the thought of whether the soap would hold up and produce a good lather or simply look terrible. I was pleasantly surprised. The soap held up extremely well and the lather is more than acceptable IMO. In all of my testing I added very large amounts of water albeit quite slowly and in very small amounts. I never ever considered that anyone would add so much water in one hit.

I have never seen anyone add so much water so quickly to any soap and TBH I was trembling at the thought of whether the soap would hold up and produce a good lather or simply look terrible. I was pleasantly surprised. The soap held up extremely well and the lather is more than acceptable IMO. In all of my testing I added very large amounts of water albeit quite slowly and in very small amounts. I never ever considered that anyone would add so much water in one hit.

Ha thats nothing, I go in with at least a tablespoon of water after a 2 min load, the AP Reserve lather takes it and just explodes like a ninja from the lights...