alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
Today was my first encounter with Barrister and Mann - and boy what an encounter it was!

Thanks to all at P&C and Will @Barrister & Mann for the great group buy and of course I had to dive in straight away into one of the tubs.

The Packaging
My first impression where really positive, the soap jar look really sturdy and are nice and large. I am not a big fan small soap vessel, as loading the brush always get so messy. The B&M jars are perfect in size and nicely filled with enough space to load away without creating a mess.

The scent
I am a big fan of citrus and Lavender scent, so when I fist smelled the soap, I was a bit disappointed. I could only smell the cedarwood. However as soon as the first drop of water touched the soap, a beautiful citrus smell emerged, followed by a subtle hint of lavender. And when I was face lathering and shaving all notes mixed wonderfully to create beautiful symphony of scents. Fantastic!

Load and Lather
Well I have read, that B&M is the MdC for poor people. I am yet to try MdC - but I am so glad to be poor. The soap loads so effortless and well - I think it was less than 10 seconds when my Plisson synthetic was ready to lather. And the lather on the face also build up very y quickly and in large volumes.

Glide
My benchmark in terms of glide is Stirling and B&M is definitely in the same league. I had a wonderful shave.

Protection
I like a thick and yoghurty lather, and my benchmark there is Mike's. But while I have to work hard, to get to that stage with Mike's the B&M reached that stage effortless - as if no other form of lather exists - very impressive.

Conclusion

Where have I been? Why did I not try this soap earlier? While this was only my first encounter, I am sure these soaps will be hard to knock off from the top of my rotation in the near future. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Where have I been? Why did I not try this soap earlier? While this was only my first encounter, I am these soaps will be hard to knock off from the top of my rotation in the near future. Highly recommended!
Yep. Totally agree. I think the postage (making it a high price) kept me from jumping in. But after I did I had the same thoughts.

Great review. It's top soap. That's why even though I've got a few already, I'm keen for Will's very popular fougere...

It is quite unfortunate that this scent is now discontinued, however it probably was a slower mover in the B&M range so time to create something new!

Got to say that nothing has lathered quite as easily or well as my B&M Dickens - nothing yoghurts quite like it. Mind you I think that the Plissitane makes it happen if it is going to happen at all with a particular soap or cream. Amazing what ytou can achieve when you have an amazing tool to assist.

I almost have not used anything else since my B&M arrived second-hand from Eggy - not even the quite amazing Soap Commander group purchase soaps I put my hand up for. There might have been one use of Courage on a particularly cold day.

It's discontinued?

No wonder Maggards sell it in a TOBS tub now..

rats it was a great scent.

I'm sure Will will bring it back one day - it is a really nice scent.

A review while we wait is cruel and unusual punishment ...

I'm surprised we didn't get action photos and a video of it all, just to inflict the maximum possible envy.
Not enough time - had to pack and send half a dozen packages...

Glad to hear that you like it, @alfredus. :) Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks. Was my pleasure, gents! Thank you very much!
If they don't love it Will, I have NO doubt they will set sales time records in the for sale section :)

Glad to hear that you like it, @alfredus. :) Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks. Was my pleasure, gents! Thank you very much!

Just make sure you bring it back as a special release every so often yeah?

If they don't love it Will, I have NO doubt they will set sales time records in the for sale section :)

BUY ALL THE SOAPS!

@alfredus . Do you think it's the tallow that makes the difference. It's been a while since I've had a good tallow based soap, a Valobra stick was the last tallow soap I had. Tallow soaps can be hard to find so I'm really looking forward to giving my B&M a run when it arrives.

@alfredus . Do you think it's the tallow that makes the difference. It's been a while since I've had a good tallow based soap, a Valobra stick was the last tallow soap I had. Tallow soaps can be hard to find so I'm really looking forward to giving my B&M a run when it arrives.
Both Mike's and Stirling are Tallow based I believe - correct?

So to me (and please excuse my inexperience) the soap looks and behaves when loading and lathering like a non tallow soap. Easy and fast.

But the (fantastic) lather that results, is a great tallow lather: slick and protective.

I never did care, if a soap was made from tallow or not, as long as the performance was there...but usually tallow gives for me more often than not the results I'm after.

Just make sure you bring it back as a special release every so often yeah?

BUY ALL THE SOAPS!
Thumbs up to both comments :)

*evil idea raises it's head*
Let's buy ALL THE FOUGERE'S and then sell them over at YKW for
AustinPowersTShirt_DrEvilOneMillionDollars_Navy_CU_5.jpg

EACH!

Last edited: