Review Barristers Reserve - Classic, Cool & Spice

Okay so I have read your review, and see that you would almost compare them to non-alcohol based splashes. It leads me to wonder; do you have dry skin?

To be clear: in my review I am saying the majority of the splash is alcohol with a small quantity of essential oils/perfumes. The solution is dilute in comparison to other splashes on the market. The alcohol is what (for me) causes skin sensitivity. I could not comment on your skin, circumstances in all honesty.

I think skin hydration is a myth, I further think pores opening and closing is a myth. In my opinion (and I am not a dermatologist) the properties in balms and splashes come from creating a layer of oil/fat over the skin that prevents moisture loss, the skin on the face contains exocrine sebaceous glands in a dense population, these secrete sebum by way of holocrine and these oils are basically fats/oils and it is these that moisturise the skin. Preventing these oils from dehydrating by creating a surface layer of denser oils allows the glands to self-regulate skin moisture and prevent dryness imho.

/disclosure: (BSc) (LLB)

To be clear: in my review I am saying the majority of the splash is alcohol with a small quantity of essential oils/perfumes. The solution is dilute in comparison to other splashes on the market. The alcohol is what (for me) causes skin sensitivity. I could not comment on your skin, circumstances in all honesty.

I think skin hydration is a myth, I further think pores opening and closing is a myth. In my opinion (and I am not a dermatologist) the properties in balms and splashes come from creating a layer of oil/fat over the skin that prevents moisture loss, the skin on the face contains exocrine sebaceous glands in a dense population, these secrete sebum by way of holocrine and these oils are basically fats/oils and it is these that moisturise the skin. Preventing these oils from dehydrating by creating a surface layer of denser oils allows the glands to self-regulate skin moisture and prevent dryness imho.

/disclosure: (BSc) (LLB)

I would agree actually, on the pores but on hydration I am undecided. I use that langaue for lack of better but I think of it as oils soaking in between and under the top layers of skin.. The fact is though my skin is dry.. just ask my massage therapist who often complains she uses three times as much cream on me as any other client. "You skin just sucks it right up" she would say. These days I moisturise before I go and see her!

So I don't know what the actual mechanics are here, but in regards to my face, putting balms on, and limiting alcohol application, I don't get the dry, shrinking feeling. Left to it's own devices my cheeks feel the same way lips do with wind burn. It hurts to smile. As I said above, the PAA does leave something on the skin, at least in the qty's I use it which prevents the feeling and would attest to what you are saying regards leaving a barrier. So I don't know what is happening, but it's something I need to work with and I am yet to find a panacea.

I have several products which I use now, that I bought hoping they would help, but they don't. I've tried using all of them in one shave, individually, and none and I don't see any difference unless I go heavy with post shave moisturiser. These days I am using them simply because I bought them... stupid really since I should just sell or PIF them. Myrsol Anitsol is probably the exception. I love the way it feels on application, and the scent but I am not convinced it actually does anything much. I have gone as far as using them all at once... no real difference. That is Prorasso preshave, Antisol, Occams Soap, -> shave -> Thayers WH A/S, Antisol, Blam (SW, or Stirling), Splash. That's actually quite a bit of alcohol right there - four times actually... so maybe it's not to blame at all. I have actually be thinking I need to run an experiment where I use various products only on one side of my face. That way everything is the same for the whole shave, except the application of the product and I can compare.

Geze I have prattled on here but I guess I am frustrated since electric shaving never did this to my skin but I don't want to go back. I just need to find a cause/solution. It's been 9 months now and the search continues, as does the learning curve. If you're still reading - thanks for reading.

Don't forget guys: there are different skin types - and then there are also mixtures. Your cheeks might behave differently to your forehead for example...

So every one has to find the right and wrong products for their skin.

I personally avoid alcohol like the plague - my skin feels dry and brittle afterwards, but I have no such issues with alcohol free witch hazel...

And then I use pure (and lots) of olive oil as the last part of my shaving routine. Does it moisturise my skin? Well as a chemist I would say, that oils do not moisturise, they fatten :D

Does my skin fell plumb and happy afterwards - for many hours actually? You bet it does ;)

Same goes for soaps: I used the A*&O once in my life - it was one of the worst post-shave experiences. I compare this to Mike's and MW - again my skin just feels plumb and happy after using those. But using olive oil even enhances that feeling.

Now were is my pork chop :D :D :D

Now were is my pork chop

:D :D :D :D

Imho it's a great example of @Sxot and I having a difference of opinion but respecting each others views and posts without an appeal to authority or the blanket, inflexible dictation of what is, or what is not correct. I read his posts, he made great points, he read mine and visa versa - we had a good discussion and no one was called idiot, stupid or otherwise bullied into confirming the others viewpoint.

We should all realise we can have intelligent discussions and have differences of opinion on this forum without the need to appeal to various cuts of sweet,sweet delicious pork...

Well this certainly is an interesting discussion.

To address multiple things at once:

1) The object of the project was to serve partly as a scent archive to preserve lost aftershave scents as closely as possible. Tragically, is not possible to get any closer.

2) They're deliberately low-concentration for a couple of reasons, namely to prevent interference with a personal fragrance such as an EdT or an EdP, and to adhere to the traditional aftershave concentration of 3%. If you want to smell good for hours, you'll need to purchase something stronger.

3) Reserve splash does hydrate, yes, though not to the extent that a proper balm or lotion will (which would be really be quite ridiculous anyway). Its suite of moisturizers, in order of greatest to least concentration, includes allantoin (which moisturizes and softens the skin in addition to soothing irritation), sodium lactate (the third, formerly second, most powerful moisturizer known to science), panthenol (which serves as both a redness reducer and moisturizer), glycerin, and aloe. I spent quite a long time making sure that it would replenish the skin without being sticky, which took a fair amount of doing with that many different botanicals in operation at once. :)

Final Note: There are two other scents coming, but I'm afraid they will not be ready by the end of the year for a variety of reasons. Lavender, which is a re-creation of Caldey Island Lavender, and Fern, which preserves the original scent profile of Fougère Royale, from way back when it was still made by the original House of Houbigant. Thought I'd give you a heads up!

While I appreciate that the other substances would be moisturising, it is hard for me to avoid the fact that alcohol is an organic solvent and lipids (fats) secreted by the skin are organic substances, that would therefore be dissolved by alcohol. It's one of the many reasons we shouldn't drink too much! Although apparently every civilisation on earth independently developed their own ways of brewing alcohol from various sources so it can't be all bad! :LOL:

My skin feels significantly better if I avoid alcohol based AS anyway... YMMV. It took me a lot of years to realise though!

The other point is that the antiseptic / preventing infection feature of alcohol would appear over-rated as the use of alcohol free balms has not created an epidemic of post shave skin infections. Although alcohol does also have the benefit of being volatile, thereby cooling the skin through evaporation (I am a believer in a warm shave and then a cold rinse - again through my own experience), there are also other ways to achieve that result eg cold water or menthol.

But then my Italian father has only ever used metho post shave every day for over fifty years now and his skin is fine so it can't be that bad (please note that is not an endorsement!). Either that or his skin has developed some "resistance" to the effects! He certainly doesn't appear to have sensitive skin!

Thanks for the excellent review todras...

While I appreciate that the other substances would be moisturising, it is hard for me to avoid the fact that alcohol is an organic solvent and lipids (fats) secreted by the skin are organic substances, that would therefore be dissolved by alcohol. I

Excellent point, and the kind of analysis we need more of in evaluating products :)

I try and offset this effect by coating the layer of my skin with a balm prior to applying a small amount of alcohol based splash, from my own subjective experiences it works to a degree as I cannot use a splash straight onto the skin, it dries and causes immediate redness whereas with the application of a balm and then light application of an alcohol based splash on top, I do not experience the redness.

Fern, which preserves the original scent profile of Fougère Royale, from way back when it was still made by the original House of Houbigant.

Oh God Yes!

I can hardly wait for this one in particular, I had heard whispers from folks on /r/shaving about this and I am so glad to hear you confirm that you will be proceeding with it. Really looking forward to seeing what you achieve with this classic.

Great reading all around, personally, no idea about any of it, wash my face, shave and then either splash it on or smear it on, whichever mood i am in at the time. As long as it smells good. As a military man i go "bush" for weeks at a time, for me the only luxury pre or post shave i get is a baby wipe to get the dirt off before i shave, generally in the same cup i drink coffee out of, after being bush for a while, its a little slice of heaven.
I do have a bottle of the spice on the way from Con, thanks for putting them out there Will, if i like it the classic is next. I have never tried a B&M product so quite looking forward to it.

Great reading all around, personally, no idea about any of it, wash my face, shave and then either splash it on or smear it on, whichever mood i am in at the time. As long as it smells good. As a military man i go "bush" for weeks at a time, for me the only luxury pre or post shave i get is a baby wipe to get the dirt off before i shave, generally in the same cup i drink coffee out of, after being bush for a while, its a little slice of heaven.
I do have a bottle of the spice on the way from Con, thanks for putting them out there Will, if i like it the classic is next. I have never tried a B&M product so quite looking forward to it.

Let me know what you think!

Hi Will, got my bottle, fantastic packaging. Put it through the family test, wifey sniffs, youngest daughter sniffs, passed on that front. I personally like the scent, not sure what classic it represents, either way a nice scent. So far on the skin i think it is quite good. It is a different feel to my other splashes, DR Harris, Proraso Green etc. It really tightens up my skin, a little weird, however, it does take away the burn a little. To quantify that though i live in the tropics and we are coming into the wet season so anything i have is going to struggle to keep the sweat rash away.
Overall i really like it, i will be grabbing the Classic next; closely followed by the cool to complete the set.

Hi Will, got my bottle, fantastic packaging. Put it through the family test, wifey sniffs, youngest daughter sniffs, passed on that front. I personally like the scent, not sure what classic it represents, either way a nice scent. So far on the skin i think it is quite good. It is a different feel to my other splashes, DR Harris, Proraso Green etc. It really tightens up my skin, a little weird, however, it does take away the burn a little. To quantify that though i live in the tropics and we are coming into the wet season so anything i have is going to struggle to keep the sweat rash away.
Overall i really like it, i will be grabbing the Classic next; closely followed by the cool to complete the set.

"Spice" pays homage to "Old Spice" I believe.

I got my samples yesterday and so today is my first use. So far, I quite like them! I have not used any of @Barrister & Mann's other splashes so cannot compare. The scents are lovely - all three and the choice of which to use was difficult. I used the Cool today and was very happy with the result. There is a nice menthol hit, but the thing that stood out to me most is the lack of sting from the alcohol. As one who suffers from dry skin, I found it excellent in the moisturising stakes with zero oilyness or residue left behind. Nothing. My skin feels lovely and soft. As per the brief - the scent does not linger past a couple of hours so throw on an accompanying EDT and all is good with the world. I would have no hesitation to recommend anyone avoiding alcohol in their splashes to give these a try.

I would say these splashes, as I would have expected from @Barrister & Mann, do exactly as they claim. Get some!

Well said Sxot, the feel on the skin is great, no sting whatsoever, as i stated it tightens my skin, none of my other splashes do that. Old Spice, i have Old Spice and B&M Spice is totally different, to my nose anyway. Either way i like the scent.

Well said Sxot, the feel on the skin is great, no sting whatsoever, as i stated it tightens my skin, none of my other splashes do that. Old Spice, i have Old Spice and B&M Spice is totally different, to my nose anyway. Either way i like the scent.

It's vintage Old Spice (1957), not the modern stuff. :) Glad you guys like it!

I tried my B & M Reserve Spice for the first time this morning - it is a winner for me! Ive never smelled the vintage Old Spice (1957) but the Reserve Spice is like a classier, refined, subtle version of the modern Old Spice I have. I must say Old Spice can smell a bit "cheap" and overpowering like a lift full of 1970's businessmen first thing in the morning.
The B & M Reserve Spice is a much classier splash!! Nice face feel afterwards from the extra goodies it has in it and scent lasts about 4 hours. (y)

The more I use this stuff the more I like it! As with anything really, the first impressions are not on-going and one should spend some time before making a final decision.

Spice was my favourite scent on day one, but now, after probably only two applications of each I am leaning strongly toward "Cool". Last night I honed a new razor, of new steel, known to me, that needed quite a bit of work to get the bevel set. As I do from time to time I shave off the mid range stone before going to finish to test the edge (the only test that matters!). Anyway, it needs more work but point was it was a rough 2 pass (WTG/ATG) shave to SAS. I used nothing other than a soap (SH Tallow) and Barristers reserve Cool.

The soothing abilities of this splash amazed me again, and the scent seems to be lingering longer - or at least I can smell it longer. I found an hour after the shave my face was a little dry (I suffer from dry skin particularly after a shave) so I added a second dose of cool. Four hours later my face is as hydrated as ever, soft and silky and the scent persists. I kinda miss the alcohol sting on application, but that's not helping when it comes to soothing irritation so I'll get over it! So 7/10 from me at this stage.