Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Well it is all the fault of you other guys here but last night in Orlando so I had to have a post dinner tipple.

When in Rome and all that a bourbon was a better option than scotch so, my first bourbon, Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey ...

bottle@2x.png

It is even available at Nicks - https://www.nicks.com.au/basil-haydens-bourbon-whiskey-750ml

@Mark1966 mate interesting choice for your first bourbon. Did you like it?

If I was in America I would be seeking out:
Buffalo Trace great bourbon and even better at 45% rather than the 40% we get in Australia

Blantons

If you want to put hair on your chest Bookers over 60% proof.

Mate America is full of great bourbon, I advise trying as many as you can :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OT:- The best Kentucky Straight Bourbon I've had in the US was called Woodford Reserve (Proof:- 90.4%, 45.2% Alc/Vol) ;) which is pretty darn good and very smooth (y)

@Mark1966 I've never tried Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Last edited:
Woodford Reserve is popular bourbon - smooth and somewhat smoky. Good price and frequently on sale - always have a bottle on hand.. Buffalo Trace is another excellent bourbon and bartender son's favorite. I had some for the first time last week - same general character as Woodford Reserve.

As more of a scotch drinker, I never heard of the Basil Hayden - need to check local liquor store. One of the advantages of living in the US is some good bourbon and beer.

Knob creek single barrel reserve is worth a go. 120 proof , 60% vol. Typically north of $100 here...

So many available over there Mark - make sure you bring home the duty-free allowance as we definitely cop the Aussie tax on the premium ones. Try some of the Ryes which are spicier distillates.

Knob creek single barrel reserve is worth a go. 120 proof , 60% vol. Typically north of $100 here...
This, if you can get it under ~USD$45. Don't waste your 3 bottles duty free on anything less than half the going rate in AU terms. Same with anything else you can get at Dans.

Otherwise - Michters higher end stuff we get slugged very hard for, up to $250/bottle for either the 10yo Single Barrel Bourbon or Rye (with the heavy-base clear bottle). If you see them at USD$100 then buy..

Other things I would look for:
  • Elijah Craig - probably not worth it for the standard (under USD$30, goes for $75 at Dans), but the barrel proof is nigh on impossible to find in AU and far more expensive than the USD$55 price suggests.
  • Angels Envy Rye (finished in rum casks) - unobtainum in AU. USD$80-ish, and I think it would be right up your alley.
  • High West - one of the most interesting distilleries in the US right now coming out of Utah I believe. Their lower-end $35 bottles come in at AUD$100 at best, and the $70 bottles are AUD$140. Value on the American Prairie Bourbon or Double Rye.
  • Westland - American Single Malt with various treatments.
Forget Woodford or Russells - you can get that here at Dan's for reasonable prices compared to the US. Buffalo Trace is 45/46% over there, only 40% here in general distribution, but you can get it at a price.

Finally - some great prices on Rum over there. Abuelo Centuria I see for $140, but $300 here if you can find stock. Zapca XO is $100 there.

I also see Macallan 12 Scotch for USD$44 over there on some sites. Nicks charges $125/bottle on special or $165 normally due to it not being distributed here anymore....

Tonight, last night in the US outside an airport lounge, the sipping was, on the basis of comments here and my feeble memory, the Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 100p.

Nice enough, but I preferred the Basil Hayden's.

I did look at some liquor stores in the US today and some GOOD prices on bourbon and some single malts, others not so much.

Duty free is already committed with more:

Hendrick's Gin 44% 1L (1 l) for my beloved
Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 40% 1L (0.7 l) - to restock
Bombay Sapphire 47% 0.2L (0.2 l) - for my beloved

All at better than Nick's prices. I didn't know what prices would be like here and didn't want to try and transport back

Only 1.9L, you wasted 350mL!!!!! Happy wife, happy life.

Good work on the Zacapa, bet it was far below the AU prices.

Only 1.9L, you wasted 350mL!!!!! Happy wife, happy life.

Good work on the Zacapa, bet it was far below the AU prices.

Hmm, wondered what you were talking about - 1 + 1 + .2 = 2.2 so only 50ml below on my calculation. Now I notice that the Ron Zacapa Centenario says '1L (0.7 l)' - all the description in the listing says 1l so it had better be or I will be annoyed!

All were below Nick and the DanWoolworths pricing - even if only 700ml it would be borderline with Nick on the Ron Zacapa.