Best Aftershave Balm Container?

Barrister & Mann

Trusted Vendor
Hiya folks!

Just curious as to what your preferences are regarding the containers for aftershave balms, especially the thicker ones that don't really flow that well. Do you like pump bottles, squeeze tubes, the tottle bottles that Soap Commander uses, or something else entirely? What do you think?

For me, I have some Soap Commander balm and soap on order, but, as it stands, I've torn between squeeze tubes (though not the metal ones, which I think are kind of annoying) and pump bottles. I like the Nivea milk glass bottles, but they're really only suited to very thin balms, so I kind of discount them for that reason.

What say you?

I like what SC use. Just some kind of squeezable plastic. The problem with pumps is what to do as the bottle empties - as you have to unscrew the pump off and start using it like a solid bottle.

If it's quite thick, you could even just put it in a container, and then you scoop a bit out with your finger. That would make life easy to get every last drop, and also to regulate how much product you are getting. Something like a smaller version of your tallow soap containers could be perfect. Nice wide lid, plus would match the soaps and would look hot on the bathroom shelf next to my Cheshire ;)

Having said that, the problem with a container would be that you can't use it one handed, which the squeezey bottles excel at.

But I still like the idea of it matching my B&M soap containers...

My preference would be for a high quality pump mechanism mounted on a bottle chosen to complement your other product packaging.

Having said that, the problem with a container would be that you can't use it one handed, which the squeezey bottles excel at.

But I still like the idea of it matching my B&M soap containers...

The problem with a jar is that there's a contamination risk. If it's an aqueous product (which it will be), it must be preserved, and you can only add so much preservative before it becomes unsafe. Think we'll avoid jars for that reason. Better to keep it away from the bacteria on your skin. :)

The problem with a jar is that there's a contamination risk. If it's an aqueous product (which it will be), it must be preserved, and you can only add so much preservative before it becomes unsafe. Think we'll avoid jars for that reason. Better to keep it away from the bacteria on your skin. :)

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

How about a tube like you get toothpaste in? You could roll the tube up and get every last drop that way.

The advantage of metal tubes, are some have non sealed ends, so are able to be re-purposed.
They also work well with a winder.

Plastic depends upon the grade and type used, as I've found some reform the shape, which fills with air, after you've worked all the goodness to the desired end.

Also tubes have the advantage of being able to be easily sealed,, hence adding another barrier from moisture loss and professional image.

Tubs are handy, yet as you suggested, contamination, yet realistically, contamination is going to happen irrelevant the medium used to carry the product, as they all involve some form of hand contact.

Whatever option you head down, it would be appreciated if the medium is semi transparent, so you're able to visibly view the remaining contents.

Whatever option you head down, it would be appreciated if the medium is semi transparent, so you're able to visibly view the remaining contents.

Although not transparent, with the metal toothpaste tube it is easy to see how much is left by how flat it it.

Although not transparent, with the metal toothpaste tube it is easy to see how much is left by how flat it it.
That is also true and a positive of them.

Reactions: MrT
My preference is for a tube, but not an aluminium-type one. I prefer the plastics over the metallics in this case.

With the plastic tubes, in order to keep the goodies at the open end, all you would need then is a clip/slider of some sort, that you move along as you use the item. Something like a foldback (bulldog) clip that clips in from the side. Or even simpler, something like a flat c-clip. Then you would always know where you are at. Then just have a mark on the tube that says ORDER MORE, and when you reach it with the clip, you place your order for a replacement.

Sorry... 4 coffees before lunch. My head is spinning.

I have a small sample pot of @shavetheman's balm, no issues there with contamination as it will be gone within a short time.
Honestly, I would be looking at either pump bottle like the Nivea Man moisturiser ones I have (living in country NSW in Winter = dry skin & massive sebum production) or like the cleanser tubes. Usually they are around 100ml, flip top cap.