Blackland - Blackbird

Rabid Badger

2018 Charity Auction Winner
Does anyone own both handles for the Blackland Blackbird razor? I am thinking about getting one of these. The 85mm is a tick under at 3.34 in and the 101mm is just a tick under 4in. In my den, most of my razors are longer than 3.5in, but I do have two 3in handles which I do find a bit too small. What I am interested in, is whether (if you own both) there is a big difference in the overall balance of the razor depending on the handle.

Finally, brass or stainless?

Matt, you should join a few of us over on the Wolfman hunt...

But my preferred handle length is 3.25" since this is what my SS Karve handle is. My brass one is 3.0" and sometimes feels a touch short, but the Rockwell is also too long for my preferences. I think it is 3.5".

Matt, you should join a few of us over on the Wolfman hunt...

But my preferred handle length is 3.25" since this is what my SS Karve handle is. My brass one is 3.0" and sometimes feels a touch short, but the Rockwell is also too long for my preferences. I think it is 3.5".
Whilst I'm at it, I'll try to get some blood from a stone too. Seriously though, i Have coveted a Blackbird for a while now.

Does anyone own both handles for the Blackland Blackbird razor? I am thinking about getting one of these. The 85mm is a tick under at 3.34 in and the 101mm is just a tick under 4in. In my den, most of my razors are longer than 3.5in, but I do have two 3in handles which I do find a bit too small. What I am interested in, is whether (if you own both) there is a big difference in the overall balance of the razor depending on the handle.

Finally, brass or stainless?

Handles lengths on all razors are a very personal thing. On the Blackbird I liked the standard 85mm handle and while I have a 101mm on one of the brass Blackbirds, I haven’t used it. Sometimes a 4in handle feels great to me and on other razors I don’t like the length. Just looking at and feeling the 101mm Blackbird handle I think it will be all right though. There was a 70mm handle released early for the Blackbird but that is no longer in production.

I suggest stainless steel but I’m biased.

Stainless and standard handle. They are heavy and aggressive enough. Standard handle is perfect for me and very grippy while maintaining the balance.
Brass needs maintenance and if left wet or in a very humid climate they patina and can bond. Talk to watch guys about their bezels sticking. Rare but something to think about.
Oh and that brass smell.. YMMY it is not for me.

I have a 101mm long handled SB Blackbird, aside from looking beautiful with the stand, it's one of the best razors I own and delivers an excellent shave. It requires absolutely zero pressure when shaving, the weight of the razor alone is what affects the shave, if you keep this in mind you will find it a top-tier performer.

I have a 101mm long handled SB Blackbird, aside from looking beautiful with the stand, it's one of the best razors I own and delivers an excellent shave. It requires absolutely zero pressure when shaving, the weight of the razor alone is what affects the shave, if you keep this in mind you will find it a top-tier performer.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that I will like the 101mm handle. I was going to go Stainless, but having bought the Vector too, I thought I'd pump for the Brass. Cheers for the tip on zero pressure. This is the same as when I use the level 3 Charcoal Goods heads. Zero pressure = superb shave.