Review Blackland Dart

Korbz

Firstly, thanks and recognition must go to @todras who enabled this thread with his generous pass around.

Clarification of terms. Aggressive, like in dogs, for me is the propensity to bite (from harsh to smooth). Efficiency relates to how many passes or how much buffing to get where I want to be. Shallow angle is riding the cap, steep holds the handle closer to face.

TLDR - In summary, yes, you know there is a blade in this razor. The usable angle is wide, and allows the user to contol efficiency, which is moderately linked to comfort. I found a sweet spot between a smooth shave, and efficiency, where a great shave could be had with the right technique.

30408585898_babcb04cd6_z.jpg

First shave I had the styptic pen at the ready, after reading reports this razor was aggressive. I started with a very steep angle and worked back till I found a nice point. 3 passes for a very close result void of any nicks or irritation.

43369611155_f0428e983d_z.jpg

Comparisons started with the Timeless 0.68 (Scalloped bar and head). In the first head to head, I thought the Timeless provided a better shave (by way of more efficient with less blade feel). The Dart had more audio feedback, but the outcome was a noticable difference in result (same number of passes and same buffing). However switching sides the next day, and changing the angle up on the dart (going more shallow), the shaves were tied for closeness. I think I still preferred the Timeless, however my general preference is for milder (less blade feel) razors anyway. The Dart though, was great in so far as I had to focus on technique. That blade feel made me acutely aware, and pay attention to what I was doing. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, just a different way to get to the end result. One that I can certainly appreciate.

43369610775_2f424dbee4_z.jpg

Last shave I changed things up and went even more shallow, which did result in some nicks and irritation. I wanted to see how efficient this thing could get, and yes, it had fuel left in the tank. For me though, this wasn't something I would repeat, as it just wasn't practical for a daily shaver with sensitive skin like myself.

Other Comparisons
Wolfman Guerilla - Less efficient and far less blade feel. Can get BBS after 3 passes and some light buffing. Great daily driver for me.
Rockwell - not really a comparison to the Dart. Even on 6 it doesn't have the same feel.
Timeless 0.68 - Less blade feel and just as efficient.
Karve C plate - blade, what blade? Not really, B plate is like that though. C plate I can get some nicks due to absent blade feel and mindless technique. Still BBS in 3.
Dart obviously had more blade feel than all these, however I would not say it's aggressive when you find your angle. It is still comfortable (as comfortable as the timeless for me), and efficient.

Would I buy one? Yeah, it offers a totally different experience to most of my other razors. Not something I would grab for on a daily basis, but if I had the time I would use. It wouldn't be on top of my wish list though, as I do want to invest in more daily drivers first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review @Korbz (y)

Just had my last shave with the DART and here some thoughts.

First of all, I wanted to thank @todras for this great opportunity - as always you are so generous (y)

First impressions: the packaging is outstanding - nice thick cardboard with snug fitting inlays. The razor itself looks and feels very solid. However it is of course not polished up. There are some tool marks visible, as stated in the description by Blackland and to expected at this price point.

The razor build is still fantastic though - the blade sits very tightly in the head and the handle screws in perfectly. So this is definitely a premium build razor at a very competitive price - without the perfect finish.

The razor is very effective, I just needed 3 instead of my usual 4 passes even with 4-5 days of growth. However it is also an aggressive razor with lots of blade feel and can lead easily to irritations/nicks/cuts, if not used carefully.

I found the sweet spot for me to be an extremely steep angle (the handle very close to your face), but a slight deviation form this angle always lead to problems.

While not as aggressive as the R41, for me it is just slightly less aggressive than the H1 from ATT - especially if you use the razor at a shallower angle. However it is also very efficient and gives very closes shaves. I also found the head geometry very pleasing. While not as flat as ATT and Wolfman razors, it is for me definitely more nimble than the Timeless head and I had no issues getting a close shave under my nose.

Overall I would rate it as a very solid and well build razor for a competitive price, if you are looking for an efficient razor.