What is your prefered MO

• Balm then Splash

• Splash then Balm

• Just Splash

• Just Balm

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Do you splash, then balm, or balm then splash?

For reasons I cannot explain, I prefer a well scented aftershave over a cologne (perfume). So I enjoy PAA aftershaves for that reason. Good scents that last well in a great after shave formula. Thing is they along are not enough for me and I use a balm (moisturiser) too. In the past I would moisturise, then splash but then I often go back for more moisturiser before I leave the house.

What is your preferred order?
Do you think the balm after the splash ruins the scent?
Do you think the splash after the balm ruins the moisturising side of things?

Tell me your story!

For some reason my skin does not react well to balms. I was always wary of alcohol in a/s and avoided it. Balms, however, always gave me a rash. When I finally tried an A/S splash I realised it was exactly what I needed. If I ever do use a balm (mostly because the shave was rough and my skin is dry) it will be about 30 minutes after I've used a splash. But I nearly always use just a splash.

I use splash and after couple of minutes use balm. I have not really thought about it, Interested to see what other people do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use thayers super medicated directly after a shave (20% alcohol) with a little peppermint oil for cooling, followed by either a Splash or Balm. I try to restrict my splashes to ones that I find leave my skin feeling generally good (Myrsol/B&M/Blackship Grooming) and balms such as Stirling/Eufros (haven't tried too many others like TSW, Soap Commander etc.). Clean and rich ingredient lists are what I try to look for.

Balm first, then splash, might try the other way, dont think it really matters, at the end of the day i mainly use one or other, rarely both together.

I like to use Balm especially in winter when my skin seems drier. I use Balm then wait a few minutes then splash - depending on the balm, I think some aftershaves mix with the balm and prolong the scent of the aftershave. My preferred combo is TSW Balm and Fine aftershave (American Blend or L'Orange Noir). Some balms can feel too greasy, especially in humid weather. the TSW balm just gets it right!!

Balm only for me. Having a good run with Bulldog Original right now.
I've previously used alcohol based splashes a lot and first off it felt wrong going without the "sting". But with just alcohol free balms, after consecutive days of shaving, my skin just feels more "normal", instead of the toughened leather feel I would normally associate with shaving and would always require me to give my face a break over the weekend.
I'm finding now with better shaving prep and technique (lighter passes) and the use of balm, I can keep shaving every day without a problem.
So my focus is on preserving the oils and natural bacteria in my skin rather than stripping them with a solvent like alcohol. Alcohol definitely kills all our beneficial skin bacteria... and the absence of it doesn't seem to lead to problematic skin infections - at least for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_flora

One thing about balms is you need to find the right one for your skin - there seems to be much more variation in their base ingredients than is the case for splashes and what works for one person may well cause a rash for another.

Balm only for me. Having a good run with Bulldog Original right now.
I've previously used alcohol based splashes a lot and first off it felt wrong going without the "sting". But with just alcohol free balms, after consecutive days of shaving, my skin just feels more "normal", instead of the toughened leather feel I would normally associate with shaving and would always require me to give my face a break over the weekend.
I'm finding now with better shaving prep and technique (lighter passes) and the use of balm, I can keep shaving every day without a problem.
So my focus is on preserving the oils and natural bacteria in my skin rather than stripping them with a solvent like alcohol. Alcohol definitely kills all our beneficial skin bacteria... and the absence of it doesn't seem to lead to problematic skin infections - at least for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_flora

One thing about balms is you need to find the right one for your skin - there seems to be much more variation in their base ingredients than is the case for splashes and what works for one person may well cause a rash for another.

Using hot water anecdotally removes oils from your skin too so if you are short on those to start with, using cold, or luke warm water is beneficial I find.