Bumps

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Last few weeks I have an interesting problem.

I shave once every couple of days to three days. The day of the shave all is well. The next day I have these red spots on my face, I think they are caused by the new hair follicles trying to break through the skin. Day three it's mostly if not completely gone.

I do ATG with a straight, 2 pass

I used to go a wtg xtg but the shave was not close.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
What am I doing wrong?

I would have thought it obvious. Going ATG. Twice.

You need to shave WTG first. Better still W, then XTG. DE and straight are about beard reduction over 2 passes or more. If you only go ATG, you're going to have issues.

I only use a DE and rarely go ATG anymore. I can, but my technique is such that I don't need to - I get very close shaves. That can only come with time and practice, you can't expect a very sharp blade to be the answer in itself.

If you mean WTG, then ATG, that is fine IF your technique and edge are up to it. I do it all the time when pushed for time without drama but it is extreme.

I would go for two pass, W & X for a few days and see how that comes out. Watch blade angle and pressure. If no ingrowns, add a third pass ATG. If the ATG brings them back leave it out for a while. If you want a closer shave, do a second XTG but in the opposite direction.

I do ATG with a straight, 2 pass

I have a grey wiry beard and just need 2 passes with my straight WTG only. DFS+ every time.
By its nature a straight cuts very close. Correct stretching and a very shave ready blade for most people with WTG is all that is needed to get a stellar shave. You can get BBS with all razors but how your face loves you after multiple passes all over the beard is the main point.

Well. I don't get a close shave wtg at all. Tried looking at everything but nothing works.

Well. I don't get a close shave wtg at all. Tried looking at everything but nothing works.

What is 'everything'?
How long you been using a straight?
Getting a close shave from one is not easy.

You can always use a DE and get a better result. Lots of people do, cos straights aren't that simple.

Blade angle/technique, lather, prep stretching. Been 10 month.

Ok, 10 months of using a straight and you can't get a shave you want with it. No one said they were easy.

Then don't use a straight. Why get caught up in the cool factor of using one, if it doesn't give you the results you're after?

A DE can give you what you want with a few weeks practice. You can start your shave with a straight and finish with a DE. Same techniques apply. W, XTG. Going against the grain first, and as your only method is going to give most people issues. Even if they use a cartridge.

I am too stubborn to give up. Will work something out.

For me, going ATG on the second pass is fine. Doesn't work on the first though - at all.

Try WTG then ATG and see how that goes...?

@Rami i try and use a straight whenever time allows, but usually use a DE for everyday shaves. If it don't have enough time but still want to use one of my straights, I will do a WTG and maybe an XTG with the straight and then tidy up with a DE. Saves me from really pushing the ATG when it's just a tidy up I need.

But as @bald as mentioned the straight gives a pretty close shave without the need for an ATG pass, maybe you need to lower your standards and consider its more about reduction than having a BBS face after every shave

Hi @Rami, try an experiment for about a week. Do your first pass with the DE and then do 2 passes wtg using the straight. Also you may benefit from a bit of preshave oil to smooth out the first pass. It is a bit more than muscle memory as the reduced stubble load may help to reduce blade pressure if that is causing you to try to shave too close. Just some thoughts.
Steve

Thinking I would try for a wtg atg if the does not work then de then straight. The preshave oil may be an interesting idea.

Couple of points. My grain is right to left so n-s and s-n are xtg. May go xtg and atg easier.

Shaving with a cut-throat is really a beard reduction exercise - WTG to remove most of the stubble, XTG to reduce it to an acceptable (read DFS) level and then ATG to produce the ubiquitous BBS shave - seeing that you have ruled out the obvious issues - it seems that (perhaps) razor sharpness might be the problem.
You don't mention using alum as an aftershave - or how it feels if you do.
Perhaps try using it every day and see if it changes anything.

Blade angle/technique, lather, prep stretching. Been 10 month.

Thanks @Havachat45, we will see. I think I was just becoming a bit frustrated. Just need to find out what works for me.

What works for you is key.
I have left to right growth on the neck and getting very close there is very hard with ATG being awkward. I'd try xtg and then xtg in the other direction.

Xtg atg seems fine at the moment. Not too close but dfs I think my skin needs a bit of rest. We will see in few month how it goes.

Well, turned out my straight was not sharp enough. :/ it's with @Mark for honing. Back to de for a little while until its ready. Will need a honing sessions to work out what's wrong but @Mark had excellent hints.

Apparently I didn't raise enough slurry to get the 5k scratches out.

Now a second question. Is there benefit in doing 2 wtg passes with a straight or de? Or better to go wtg +xtg. Can one start with xtg? I am growing a stubble to get a grain map created. I remember there was a website where you can input it in. Can't remember where thou.