Canned Goo.. Can't believe I used to use this crap!

JayDee

So, I've been DE shaving for around 6 months. I've used everything from high end T&H creams, Proraso cream, and even cheapo supermarket sticks and creams. Just out of curiosity I dragged the old Gillette Lemon-Lime foam out of the cupboard this morning and gave it a go.

What was I thinking?? Where is the soapy glide?? It was like cutting down a mighty oak with a blunt penknife... Even the imaginatively titled "Shave" cream that I can buy for about 2 bucks a tube from IGA/Franklins is a billion percent better than this stuff... To think that I put up with 30 years of bad shaves with this crap and it's cartridge partners in crime. Oh, the shame. :cry:

Yes, is one of those "I can't believe I did that for so long" moments indeed.

The number of friends who I've tried to get to IF NOTHING ELSE changed to a proper soap/cream instead of that crap - as I realised getting them off the Cartridge and onto DE's was a bridge TOO FAR. Alas not had much luck, folks are serious sheep....the status quo is a very powerful thing.

Yes, is one of those "I can't believe I did that for so long" moments indeed.

The number of friends who I've tried to get to IF NOTHING ELSE changed to a proper soap/cream instead of that crap - as I realised getting them off the Cartridge and onto DE's was a bridge TOO FAR. Alas not had much luck, folks are serious sheep....the status quo is a very powerful thing.

Yeah it makes the supermarket Shave stick seem like a very good buy! I don't understand it either. I can understand the reluctance to consider DE as those blades look damn sharp, are now only generally associated with self harming and you basically don't see them for sale anywhere. And although we like to bash cartridges, for what they are; a seriously sharp utilitarian object that a load of dumb-arsed, kack-handed males use regularly, I think they're a pretty amazing product actually.

Just wondering, as DE blades aren't really seen anywhere in shops, how do they continue producing them? Is the small percentage of DE shavers enough?

Just wondering, as DE blades aren't really seen anywhere in shops, how do they continue producing them? Is the small percentage of DE shavers enough?

Still a popular choice in India and Middle East I understand - cheaper than carts and price difference there has an impact

Still a popular choice in India and Middle East I understand - cheaper than carts and price difference there has an impact

Still a lot of countries where the basics are still used. I doubt any of them are arguing the merits of one blade or another on a forum though.

India is the next on Gillette's hit list. A massive market. They'll flood it with cheap products like the Guard to bring them into the "21st century", then hit them in the wallet like they did us, when they've got enough critical mass.

Thanks Mark, hopefully it continues to have that impact. I just find it interesting seeing where the different blades are made, and do wonder about the financial viability of it all. I guess if they're still producing them, it must be turning a profit.

Might buy a few thousand just in case!