Cella (& other softies)

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
cella_shaving_soap_crema_sapone__44713_thumb.jpg
3f653a3bb5021d165a8b665c2c75478f.image.142x150.jpg

This has become one of my favourite soaps. Why? Well for one, soft soaps are a complete doddle to use. I know I keep harking back to the facepalmers over on big US forums, where they elevate methods of applying Aftershave into the realms of rocket surgery, but if you can't lather Cella, you're sort of person who will be challenged by revolving doors.

Secondly, they're cheap – a 150g tub of Cella is only about $10, but not available in Aus, so postage almost doubles that, but that's still cheap I think.

Thirdly, the Italians make quite a few of these, Proraso being the most notable, so they have a good idea of what they're doing. These are your everyday, drugstore/barbershop, working man's products. No royal warrants or fancy designer shave store, pricey packaging and marketing hoopla – just honest, good value for money products. Some just happen to be exceptionally good, and I think Cella is one of those.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Cella contains tallow, as do my other fave's – Tabac and Speick. I've pretty much ditched the hard, triple milled stuff; most are veggie based anyway, and don't work as well for me. As for scent, Tabac has a scent all its own, Speick has a really nice herbal/spice thing happening, and Cella is a natural almond scent. I didn't used to like almond in general, but if the stuff's really good, I don't care. I've come to equate scent with performance.

After trying Cella and finding it's better than Proraso IMO, I gave the other Italian softies a go as well, but I don't think they're as good. P160 is the exception, but given this is all but unavailable now, it's best not to bother getting too attached to it. I pity the poor unfortunates who are hoarding this stuff – when they see that large hole forming at the bottom of the bowl, they'll be suffering the cold sweats and manic hyperactivity of a crack junky in rehab. The trauma could be lasting and profound.

I tried the tallowless Valobra with menthol too, and whilst it looks identical to Cella, it didn't perform as well for me – was always a bit thinner, not as slick and protective, and the menthol was barely there, not crap by any means, but not as good either. If I want to replicate it, only better, then I can just use Cella on top of Proraso pre post cream.

Likewise, the Valobra stick. This does contain tallow, is a harder, but still relatively soft soap, but just doesn't seem to get up there for me. I'm not picky with scents, but this has a sharp, bland hotel soap smell, which, if the stuff was tops, I could ignore completely. But it's just ok and I find it a bit drying. That's not something I find with Cella, it may not massively moisturise, but it doesn't dry my face at all.

The curious thing with Cella is the differences in colour I've experienced. I was surprised to see my first tub was light golden brown, like a soft, doughy Tabac. I thought this odd, but other users mentioned theirs was the same. Recently I've been told Cella is definitely supposed to be white and that mine was old, off and probably rancid (our US friends say so, so it must be true). Well mine doesn't smell off or rancid, and it works fine and dandy.

A google image search reveals just as many golden brown tubs as white ones, so I'm thinking it's possibly just a batch variation? It could be a difference between the kg and tub, as the tub is "Crema De Barbe Mandorla Classica" and the kg is "Extra Extra Purissima". I don't know. That wouldn't explain why some tubs are white. To confuse things further, shaving.ie says that it's white. Either way, it works, and a brown tinged Cella is certainly not indicative of rancid soap.

There are people that only buy the 1kg block, believing it is somewhat better (although the ingredients are exactly the same) however the 1kg was primarily sold for barbers, so there's possibly a bit of 'professional' placebo going on. Despite Cella containing very few preservatives, and the brown 'rancid' argument, home users keep this stuff for years without it changing in any way, or going off.

Even so, I've just ordered a 1kg block, because I'll use it more regularly, and it's better value by the kg, and I split with JugV2, so we both got 500g for a coupla bucks more than a tub. Uber-bonus. I almost sprang for some expensively shipped P160 before it all went instead, but I thought if I do that, I may just as well take up crack and feel like the others do when it's all gone - seems little point in getting attached to it when it won't be there next time around. Shaving.ie ensures me their Cella is recent stock, fresh and white. So if it's a freshness thing and the white is even better, then that's a bonus. You'll be sure to hear from me if it is.

As mentioned at the beginning, soft soaps are a doddle to use, any brush will work with them. Some people have tried to use them like creams, because they're so doughy, but they're fairly resistant to breaking down a blob in a bowl, and I find it's best just to load them as you would any other soap – from the puck.

I find the red tub is hopeless though. Brushes need a bit of room to move around to pick up, especially the muscular Chubby, and the red tub is just a bit small for this. So I just put mine in a wider bowl.

This is how I lather mine. Semogue 1305 is the example here. I soak under the tap and squeeze it. This is brush specific though; I find the 1305 (and 830) works best this way, and particularly well with soft soaps.

1305 & Cella.jpg

Even squeezed, this brush is big and dense enough to be just right to load up. I spend maybe 20 secs on the soap to get this:

PB110062.jpg

I hand lathered this example and I reckon it might be a little wet. I'd work it better on the face, but even so, this lather is thick enough to hold its own on the brush, there's plenty of soap in there.

lathered Cella.jpg

With badgers I usually just shake them, and how wet they are after that will depend on the brush. The objective is the same though, to lift of that creamy stuff to work up to dense slick lather. Sometimes I need to sprinkle water on the soap, little adjustments like that. It's not rocket surgery and a few goes at it is all that's needed.

OK, how excitement time. FREE CELLA!

To celebrate me getting new Cella, and the fact I'm out of bowls to put it in, I'll PIF what I've got left so I can get into the new stuff. If anyone would like a few shaves worth, I can stick a flattened bird's turd of Cella in an envelope. I don't know how far it will go, so first cabs and all that.

PJ you're covered, as I'm getting an SE from you. No, don't thank me, you don't have any choice - you're getting it.

Last edited:
Thanks Drubster. Very nice review. I look forward to finding another bird turd in the letter box. I'll drop the SE and some blades in yours some time tomorrow. It's a hardware/software exchange this time. I've become a bit of a tallow junkie too.

Oh very nice mate.

I completely agree with your point about trying to lather a blob of soap - I tried and failed ONCE that you know about...

All of my brushes love soap. So much so that I have put the creams away - I never thought I would say this but I am just not feeling the love from the TOBS Jermyn at the moment.

The nice thing with using soaps a lot is - when you go back to creams, they lather so easily and so well = top shave. You control the portions used - soaps are always a 'getting to know when it's loaded right' game. Makes it interesting though, add to the skill factor.

Here 'Tis

Cella.jpgCella2.jpg

I thought the pics would be more impressive. Perhaps you need to hold a kilo of soap. It's a lotta soap. It's a square brick. There's no superfluous packing behind Italian Santa, it's all soap.

I'm glad I didn't buy all of this - 500g is JugV2's. While it's one of the softer soaps, it'll still last very well. If I only had a couple of soaps 1kg is probably a great buy. But I use about 4, so I'm as well stocked as a monsta blade warehouse.

I can report the scent is a bit different. A very nice, natural but subtle almond. My previous tub is more of a sweet putty. The P160 by comparison, is whiffy and dessertlike.

Colour? Well the pics are crap, but looking at it, I'm reminded of Ritchie Benaud's Jacket selection conundrum from the 12th Man:

"Whadda reckon today darl, the cream, the bone, the white, off white, the ivory or the beige?"
"Yes, sound's great love."

It's whiteish. Pretty much what I expected, not a high gloss bright white, this has got sheep fat and almond in after all.

I've had only one taker for the Cella give-away. Still some left. Don't make me beg, it's very undignified.

Oh lovely.

I must say I'm looking forward to getting into this.

I suspect 500g is gonna last me for a long long time.

I looked at the pic and thought wow, that's a small kilo. But as you say, in person it would be more impressive.

Might have to buy a new container for this bugger.

If it was your only soap it would last a couple of years. Please don't tell me this is your only soap! Not anyway near enough razors. Not anyway near enough soaps. You're a worry Juggie.

Last edited:
If it was you're only soap it would last a couple of years. Please don't tell me this is your only soap! Not anyway near enough razors. Not anyway near enough soaps. You're a worry Juggie.
He's dragging his heels badly on brushes too.

Ok ok.

Brushes x 3
Razor x 2
Blades x plethora
Soaps x 4 - Conk Bay Rum, Speick, Valobra and TOBS Sandalwood.
Creams - TOBS and Proraso - I PIF'd all the others to my brother who is now getting into DE shaving.

These numbers are somewhat small I understand.

However after having kicked the cigarettes finally, I now have a new disposable income to spend on such frippery as razors, brushes and soaps.

I still need a decent AS, I have the Nivea and that's ok, but I want to get some more stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah I just want a balm, not that bothered with alcohol to be honest.

I have some nice colognes for that purpose.

I have heard the Proraso is good, and it is little surprise the Speick is good considering how awesome the stick of soap I have turned out to be.

It looks good on paper, I only use a couple of all of those things, the rest sit in the box in my study.

If anything I need a couple more creams and maybe another razor.

It's good stuff this Cella. Not sure about the almond smell. The scent reminds me of putty (linseed oil) and a bit industrial I guess. Excellent lather that'll take oodles of water which is a sign of a good soap/cream in my book. Talking of soap/cream, this stuff really is on the boundary. Certainly up there with the best as far as I'm concerned.

It's good stuff this Cella. Not sure about the almond smell. The scent reminds me of putty (linseed oil) and a bit industrial I guess.

I don't think my bird turd variation is a fair indication of the scent, it's certainly not very almondy, there's a bit if there, but yes, it's more a putty smell. I didn't find it offensive and was pretty neutral on the face. Performance is unaffected though.

Also, that stuff is quite a bit softer than what I have here. It softened noticeably since I had it, I think this is just through taking on and retaining moisture. Mine is definitely more soap than cream.

I've been using the new stuff since friday and the smell is far more inviting. A sweet almond. Jug thought it smelt like Dr Pepper. It does have that sweetness to it.

........Also, that stuff is quite a bit softer than what I have here. It softened noticeably since I had it, I think this is just through taking on and retaining moisture.............

A wet bird turd! I like the stuff and the smell doesn't bother me in the least. It's just that I had to do some research to discover that it's almond and not linseed oil. Both derived from nuts I guess. When I run out I'll go and order a some. Gives me something to look out for. The hottie postie and all that.

So I did a practice lather tonight with the block of Cella Drubbing kindly went halves on.

The only soft soap previously used is Valobra. I used the Semogue 830 on the Cella soap and got a huge lather with little effort.

The scent - and I stand by this - is reminiscent of Dr Pepper.

A nicely aerated, thick and creamy lather.

I then did a side by side lather with the Conk Bay Rum soap.

I can see the difference the tallow in soap makes, it's quite visual. It definitely makes a thicker, more luxurious lather.

I am very impressed.

I start in the bowl to get a good load then finish on the face.

That's for soap, cream I use the bowl.